Fiber Optic Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Optic Question

dglockster
12-28-2008, 07:53
A elderly friend of mine recently changed his ISP from AT&T to a cable company. He did so because the cable company uses fiber optic cable for increased speed. However, the fiber optic cable terminates where it enters the house. From the jack to the computer is still CAT-5. Does anyone know if there is a fiber optic cable that can replace the cable going from the jack to the computer?
Thanks.

Green_Manelishi
12-28-2008, 15:29
A elderly friend of mine recently changed his ISP from AT&T to a cable company. He did so because the cable company uses fiber optic cable for increased speed. However, the fiber optic cable terminates where it enters the house. From the jack to the computer is still CAT-5. Does anyone know if there is a fiber optic cable that can replace the cable going from the jack to the computer?
Thanks.

Perhaps I am missing something here but ...

If the cable company installed the FO for your elderly friend's computer, they should also have installed/provided whatever else was necessary for your friend to make best use of the increased speed of FO.

AT&T/Verizon installed FIOS into oor wee hoose, provided the wireless router, placed it where I told them to place it, etc.

JohnBT
12-28-2008, 16:18
"From the jack to the computer is still CAT-5."

Verizon FiOS does the same thing. It's fine. Do a www.speedtest.net and see.

John

DoubleWide
12-28-2008, 20:07
FIOS is usually FTTP (Fiber to the premises). Uverse is FTTN (fiber to the node). There's a ONT or ONU that breaks in down to metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTH

Even Verizon's best plan is only 50/20 Mbits so cat 5 isn't a problem. AT&T is like 18/1.5.

Forget the tech. It comes down to price and speed, and if it's shared bandwidth like cable.

dglockster
12-29-2008, 06:25
Thanks for the info. I'll print your respective replies and give them to him on Monday morning.

noway
12-29-2008, 07:34
OP so if you change the cable to Fiber, what do you plan to hook it up to and at what speeds?

Most fiber based optics are 100 or 1000base and not alot of computers comes with PCU cards with support for optical connections. nor does any of the lower cost home based router/switch products.