Pasta "machines"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pasta "machines"?

MB-G26
12-28-2008, 19:58
Don't think I want one of the 'does it all, including mixing the dough' ones, but I've been watching some of the manual, hand-crank, stainless-looking pasta roller thingies on ebay. Dont' want to spend a ton of money, just potentially crank out the usual, typical sizes/shapes of pasta: linguini, fettuchine, etc.

Any suggestions?

syntaxerrorsix
12-29-2008, 17:48
If you're keen on making the dough yourself you may as well have a means to press it into appropriate shapes. Flat pasta shapes can be rolled by hand and cut with a knife and further formed like bow tie or filled like raviolis if you don't feel like spending money on the press. A press will most likely give you better uniformity plus the advantage of a cool new toy to play with :)

The Pontificator
12-29-2008, 17:50
Having owned one of those machines (Atlas stainless steel) would suggest you stick with buying dried pasta.

Fresh (egg) pasta is a whole different animal; most of the sauces we're familiar with tend to drown out the more delicate flavor of fresh pasta.

MrsKitty
01-02-2009, 22:55
Mel, I found a brand new in the box top of the line electric pasta machine at Goodwill for $20. Now if I could just get pasta instead of glue....

I am really wanting a hand crank one now for working polymer clay. I am having a blast working with this stuff! :rofl:

Big Bird
01-03-2009, 08:25
The Atlas machines are fine for not a lot of money. Its fairly easy to turn out fabulous homemade pasta. But in truth a good Italian dried store bought pasta can be as good.
I have an Atlas machine and use it when I make some homemade ravioli.