Dealing with a pacifist!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a pacifist!!!

Mike Rittenour
12-30-2008, 00:28
Alright Ladies, My wife is a stone cold pacifist. Any suggestions on how I could get her interested in some type of self defense. We also have two younger daughters 13 and 11 that are taking karate classes with me and they are fire crackers, I pitty the fool that comes after them.
But my wife wont touch a gun or a knife, Unless that id to throw it at me!:animlol:

Nine Shooter
12-30-2008, 00:39
Dress up like a thug in a ski mask and scare the crap out of her? Unless your daughters would come to her aid and kick the crap outta you... ;) Still, could make for a pretty interesting demonstration.

Harley Rider 1955
12-30-2008, 01:38
Most traditional martial arts teach how to avoid conflict and seek inner peace. This is especially true in the soft styles. My first Shirfu insisted I first learn to heal.
"Hurting someone is easy - healing them is much harder"

Mrs. VR
12-30-2008, 20:41
Dress up like a thug in a ski mask and scare the crap out of her? Unless your daughters would come to her aid and kick the crap outta you... ;) Still, could make for a pretty interesting demonstration.
could also lead to a divorce! :supergrin:

I don't know, what would she do if someone tried to hurt the girls? As a mom, that's all the incentive I'd need to become a bloodthirsty maniac. Could she live with herself if something happened and she hadn't at least given it her all? That's the approach I think I'd take.

LAURAPDG26
12-30-2008, 21:09
Probably not the advice you are looking for, but I have to take the other angle.
You obviously married her for her outlook on life in general which includes her being a pacifist. You know the whole opposites attract thing.
It is what makes her who she is and I am sure you don't want to change that. I'll bet you would not want her to try to turn you into a pacifist. ("Now honey, why don't you just REASON with those unenlightened individuals instead. They are likely just misunderstood.) :supergrin:

Unless she was a stonecold thug when you married her and now has done a 180, I wouldn't try to change her or her views to match exactly to yours.

Now your children can look at choices from both sides and become informed individuals and grow up making their own decisions about how they want to live ltheir own lives in adulthood.

(Okay, and if that doesn't work, start watching episodes of COPS and CSI on tv every chance you get so she can see what's potentially out there . :wow: :supergrin:)

FrogWithAGlock
12-31-2008, 17:36
could also lead to a divorce! :supergrin:

I don't know, what would she do if someone tried to hurt the girls? As a mom, that's all the incentive I'd need to become a bloodthirsty maniac. Could she live with herself if something happened and she hadn't at least given it her all? That's the approach I think I'd take.

+1000

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was, "dealing with a pacifist? We should ALL be pacifists!!"

I certainly don't believe violence is the answer to common problems. HOWEVER, I will use any means neccessary to protect my children from evil. Including deadly means.

It would be lovely if bad guys would respond to a gentle word or two. It's just not life.

WI-Guy
12-31-2008, 18:15
Mrs VR hit it on the head - at least for my wife. When my wife heard on the news about a girl that was snatched out of her home at night, she converted that day after about eight years of my carrying. I suspect your sife has similar sentiments - she may not be able to bring herself to prepare and plan to fight for herself, but I bet she would do anything to protect your daughters.

LauraPDG26 brings up another excellent point - she is who she is. Trying to change her into someone she isn't doesn't seem right. She may change on her over time as my wife did. But if you want another idea to try bringing up in your conversations -would she willing allow a violent criminal to deprive her shildren of their mother and her husband of a wife?

FrogWkithAGlock is also right. "I despise violence so much that I will do ANYTHING to stop it once it happens around me." is my favorite quote to folks that ask me why I carry.

Best of luck!

Yellowfin
01-02-2009, 12:29
You should tell her that doing anything for your daughters includes making sure they have a mom if someone were to attack her. They'd be just as hurt by losing her or having her harmed as any direct injury to themselves. If she won't defend herself for her own sake, she should do so because she loves you and them. That's what I told/tell my wife and it works quite well.

Mrs.Cicero
01-02-2009, 16:04
You to your wife,"y'know, it really bothers me that you would choose to let some criminal rape and murder our daughters, just so you can feel morally superior to those who train and prepare themselves to defend themselves and the ones they love..."

Well, maybe you could find a more politically correct way to state that. Or not.

I don't like pacifists. They are cowards who would let murdering pedophiles loose on their own children.

Mrs.Cicero

Jeepnik
01-02-2009, 16:17
You might look around the net and see if you can find any morgue photos. Though truthfully, she probably won't be converted until she is made a victim.

Jogitu
01-02-2009, 16:19
Have her read a few "Armed Citizen" articles from the NRA. Also, if you have the Outdoor Channel they have a new show called "Best Defense" which has segments aimed at women. I gradually introduced things to my wife instead of overwhelming or forcing her to change. My wife is not a pacifist but did not cozy up to the whole ccw and guns in the house deal right away. I just made her aware when I came across articles on unarmed victims. She will not carry but she does take the Kimber guardian angel with her everywhere. She also admits she feels safer knowing I am armed. She has come a long way in 10 years but I do know that her changes came only from good information, education and her willingness to change. Look at it like a 12 step program. She has to be willing to change and forcing it will do nothing but frustrate both of you.

Mike Rittenour
01-02-2009, 19:53
I think she see,s my interest in weapons and self defense more as an obsession. IM often on two differant forums, Glock talk and the martialist. Ive actually learned quite bit from both sites. But to her its a waste of time and she doesent see the need. To me its just common sense to learn all I can about protecting my family.

Mrs.Cicero
01-03-2009, 13:41
perhaps you could point out that if she would pull her own weight, you wouldn't need to obsess about it.

Mrs.C, still snarky with pacifists

Mike Rittenour
01-03-2009, 18:08
Actually it was unfair to say my wife was a stone cold pacifist, She,s a red head!!! But she does claim to be one! Turn the other check and all that. :whistling: