North Carolina is a great place to live! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina is a great place to live!

chuckman
12-31-2008, 11:03
The title says it all. If anyone wants to discuss why, give me a shout. I respect all-comers and all opinions. Tell me why YOU like (or don't like) NC!

BigDaddyK
12-31-2008, 11:47
I can't stand NC. The taxes are high, the gas is high, it just sucks. I was a Marine here at Cherry Point and I just got out. Now I have a job here at Cherry Point. I like my job but the area sucks. I hate the summers because of all of the mosquitoes. I hate the fall and winter because of all of the pine needles that fall in my gutters and on my roof. I almost forgot. I hate those *******ED FIRE ANTS! I get a new hill of ants every day somewhere in my yard. You can't even walk outside hardly without shoes for fear of getting eaten alive.

I'm originally from WV and I like hills, woods, and things like that. It's impossible to find any land here for a decent price.

I'm sure I would enjoy western NC a little more but where I'm at has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Why do you enjoy NC?

chuckman
12-31-2008, 11:54
I can't stand NC. The taxes are high, the gas is high, it just sucks. I was a Marine here at Cherry Point and I just got out. Now I have a job here at Cherry Point. I like my job but the area sucks. I hate the summers because of all of the mosquitoes. I hate the fall and winter because of all of the pine needles that fall in my gutters and on my roof. I almost forgot. I hate those *******ED FIRE ANTS! I get a new hill of ants every day somewhere in my yard. You can't even walk outside hardly without shoes for fear of getting eaten alive.

I'm originally from WV and I like hills, woods, and things like that. It's impossible to find any land here for a decent price.

I'm sure I would enjoy western NC a little more but where I'm at has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Why do you enjoy NC?

Now THAT'S what I am lookin' for! I am from that area originally, born in Morehead, raised in Jacksonville, been back to Lejeune many times as a reservist. I am not a big fan of the Havelock area.

I live in the central part of the state. Two great hospitals, three great universities, night life, 2 1/2 hours from the coast, three hours from the mountains, great sports, great climate. You are right...land is getting more expensive by the day. Some folks don't like it here, and that's OK...I just want to know why people either like it or don't like it.

West Va is nice...the wife's best friend is in Morgantown. I am not a "mountain person," preferring the coast, but I really like it up there.

Beware Owner
12-31-2008, 12:23
What I don't like of NC is the pervasive racism, weather's ok, but it does have awesome gun laws.

utah
12-31-2008, 12:43
...does have awesome gun laws.

Don't you need a permit or "card" to buy a handgun? Aren't machine guns illegal?

MaximaDrvr
12-31-2008, 12:47
Don't you need a permit or "card" to buy a handgun? Aren't machine guns illegal?

You have to obtain a purchase permit for $5 to buy a handgun, or use your CHP. This is for a background check.

Machine guns are legal as long as you have the proper paperwork and have the Class 3 stamp.

chuckman
12-31-2008, 14:50
What I don't like of NC is the pervasive racism...

Yeah, there is that. Not nearly as bad in central NC as some other parts.

Calculated
12-31-2008, 16:08
I live 25 miles west of Asheville and it is GREAT! Except for the taxes NC is the best place that I have ever lived.

bennwj
12-31-2008, 18:36
I love NC. I have 16 years at Bragg and although Fayetteville is NOT one of my favorite places in the state, it is better than ANYPLACE in my former state of residence (New York). I hope to get back there as soon as the Sergeants Major Academy is finished.

My Father-in-law owns quite a bit of land in Bladen County and we spend a lot of time there. I will hopefully retire in Easter NC someday.

I never saw any of the racism that other posters are talking about unless they were referring to "reverse" racism. Saw LOTS of that off post, and even in Bladen County. Besides racism is dead....Obama was elected...remember?

I HATE the beach though.

not_possible
12-31-2008, 18:49
Sc>Nc :tongueout:

Even though I go to Charlotte more than Columbia when I'm pretty much directly between both...I just don't like Columbia for some reason and I don't know why.

chuckman
01-01-2009, 08:43
Sc>Nc :tongueout:

Even though I go to Charlotte more than Columbia when I'm pretty much directly between both...I just don't like Columbia for some reason and I don't know why.

I see we have a friend from the "other" Carolina piping in! :) I like the low country, but otherwise use SC as a throughway to other places. Is SC even a 'real' Carolina? Do they have barbecue down there? :tongueout:

Beware Owner
01-01-2009, 11:12
Oh, racism here is crazy. You'll see people looking at other skin tones with disdain. Sometimes you need to look how others look at someone AFTER they've passed by, even yourself. Look back every once in a while, they'll be staring and talking about you. You can mostly see it in older people, and they have passed it on to younger generations. Ignorance is a curse that may be passed down generation to generation. TO ME, racists are people with identity and self esteem problems. One of my major pet peeves is prejudice of any kind.

not_possible
01-01-2009, 12:52
I see we have a friend from the "other" Carolina piping in! :) I like the low country, but otherwise use SC as a throughway to other places. Is SC even a 'real' Carolina? Do they have barbecue down there? :tongueout:

We have a Sonny's haha, but I'm not a big fan of BBQ. We don't have to have our cars inspected here though like you guys...there's another to add to the list of cons for NC. I actually like NC more, but living in SC is better and I'm about an hour from Charlotte so it works out.

Bogey
01-01-2009, 16:32
I see more "black on white" open racism than anything. Whites seem to hide theirs better.

I've been here 20 years. Don't go to the beach at all, but LOVE the mountains.

carolinajohn63
01-01-2009, 20:10
I love this thread. I won't comment, because the last time I expressed by views on NC I was assaulted about my opinion.

Anyway, the gun laws here are not that great. Cannot carry into any place that charges an admission, no carry at a funeral or a parade (WTF???), Cannot carry in any of the state parks....

chuckman
01-01-2009, 20:34
I love this thread. I won't comment, because the last time I expressed by views on NC I was assaulted about my opinion.

Anyway, the gun laws here are not that great. Cannot carry into any place that charges an admission, no carry at a funeral or a parade (WTF???), Cannot carry in any of the state parks....

You weren't assaulted. Your views are welcome here. If there are things that can be refuted or argued, then I will. If I agree, I will. I respect everyone's views. You are welcome to stay.

chuckman
01-01-2009, 20:35
We have a Sonny's haha, but I'm not a big fan of BBQ. We don't have to have our cars inspected here though like you guys...there's another to add to the list of cons for NC. I actually like NC more, but living in SC is better and I'm about an hour from Charlotte so it works out.

I hear it is more affordable down there. Yeah, our DMV can be a bit, ahem, "opressive." Tell me other reasons you like SC so much?

LAURAPDG26
01-01-2009, 20:43
We don't have to have our cars inspected here though like you guys...there's another to add to the list of cons for NC.

You don't have to have your cars inspected for the DMV? Ever? :wow:
How does SC DMV make sure that the cars on the road truly are "road worthy"?

LAURAPDG26
01-01-2009, 20:56
Oh and I love NC. Moved here 4 years ago and wish we had done it sooner. Before this, I lived on LI, only a few miles from the beach and a short train ride to NYC so I miss that stuff a bit. Oh and I miss things like Dunkin Donuts and italian bakeries. Krispy Kreme is just not the same :crying:.

Otherwise I think it's great here and wouldn't go back for anything. I love being close to the mountains, I love the fact that we have tons of awesome mountain biking and the beautiful scenery most every where I go.

The only thing I don't like is that with the influx of Northerners (of which I am one) all things seem to be getting too congested and it feels like I am back to what I tried to get away from. :crying:

As far as the gun laws, yes they are restrictive. However, when I lived in NY, I never even considered getting a firearm. Now, I am totally comfortable and confident with one, because it isn't a big deal here, so that's got to be a good thing.

Someone complained about the taxes here, but I wasn't sure what taxes you meant. I think the housing taxes are not bad at all. If I was back where I left, home taxes are on average 8-12k, here they average about 1,200 for the SAME SIZE HOUSE.

Oh and I prefer the accents here a lot more than where I am from. :rofl:

not_possible
01-01-2009, 22:00
I hear it is more affordable down there. Yeah, our DMV can be a bit, ahem, "opressive." Tell me other reasons you like SC so much?

Yea certain things are cheaper gas being one...plus we had a tax free firearm purchase day, black friday I think it was. I haven't really read up on all the NC gun laws since I haven't travelled with them yet, but seems like we have it a little better, but compared to other states I wouldn't say NC has it bad. I actually like NC well not the coast, but Asheville and Lake Lure areas are nice. I lived in western NC for a couple years back when I was a freshman/sophmore in HS. Other than the little differences in gun laws and gas and such being a little cheaper, I got no real complaints about NC.

not_possible
01-01-2009, 22:06
You don't have to have your cars inspected for the DMV? Ever? :wow:
How does SC DMV make sure that the cars on the road truly are "road worthy"?

Nope, I can't remember if it used to be required or not years ago, but as far back as I can remember there has been no inspections. It doesn't seem to be a problem either and for people like me who can work on their own vehicles it saves the hassle and money from having it done.

NC roads are better than most of SC's though, just get on 95 and notice how once you cross the state line it's horrible.

nursetim
01-01-2009, 23:55
never mind

BigDaddyK
01-01-2009, 23:57
Taxed 7 ways to Sunday, Bad gun laws (really bad), Way to many liberals, gas and house is crazy expensive(relatively speaking of course). Other than that and some nursing laws, I'd love to stay. I'm glad you like it Chuckman.

Which nursing laws are you referring to? My wife is a nurse and I'm just curious if she's had any problems.

NC still sucks though.

chuckman
01-02-2009, 04:48
Taxed 7 ways to Sunday, Bad gun laws (really bad), Way to many liberals, gas and house is crazy expensive(relatively speaking of course). Other than that and some nursing laws, I'd love to stay. I'm glad you like it Chuckman.

Taxes are a bit repressive, mucho liberals, especially in the Triangle (where I live). Ah, but what can you do? You can't kill 'em and you can't eat 'em. I am an RN, and the Nurse Practice Act is pretty nice here...a lot larger scope of practice than what some other states can do. Where I live makes being a nurse pretty easy...cannot swing a dead cat for hitting some healthcare resource.

chuckman
01-02-2009, 04:50
Which nursing laws are you referring to? My wife is a nurse and I'm just curious if she's had any problems.

NC still sucks though.

She can google the NC Board of Nursing (I just don't remember the website now at oh-dark-thirty), read the Nurse Practice Act. It is pretty broad-based compared to some other places. By the way, I forgot to mention that as a reservist I did some annual training at Cherry Point. Not my most fave place to be, to be sure.

glocksterr
01-02-2009, 08:25
one man's trash is clearly another man's treasure.

can we stop with the NC sux/doesnt suk threads.

:puking:

Beware Owner
01-02-2009, 08:52
I see more "black on white" open racism than anything. Whites seem to hide theirs better.

I've been here 20 years. Don't go to the beach at all, but LOVE the mountains.

Yes, black on white/hispanic seems more open, white on black/hispanic seems more, um, dressed. The ignorance and hate is still there, very strong, though.

I don't go to places that charge on admission, don't go to funerals nor parades, so maybe that's why I haven't seen the laws here as a problem. I guess that what I meant is that here, you get your permit to purchase in two weeks, and can open carry just about anywhere. If you defend yourself correctly, you don't have to worry about police. I would, however, like to hear what our view of NC is, no matter what anybody else says.

Short Bus
01-02-2009, 09:21
I have grown up in the western part of the state. I have not been all over the US or the world for that matter...but what I have been to, I like it better here. I like having four seasons. Most of the people are great. Yeah, there are some transplants, and some half-backs. Most of them are not bad though. Most places crime is not too bad. Cities are going to be the way they are anywhere. I try to stay out of them as much as possible. I love the slower pace, the fact that people will say "hello" to you, or wave. Your neighbors will help you if you need the help. Gun laws are not too bad, they could be a lot worse. Some taxes are a little high, and we have some laws that go a little further than other places, but I think most of them help keep things a little nicer. If you don't want to get inspected, get a vehicle that is more than 25 years old. The mountains are beautiful and the beaches are nice to be able to visit and not have to drive 2 days. You can be to many of them in less than 5 hours from where I am. I think I will be staying here for a while :)

chuckman
01-02-2009, 09:26
one man's trash is clearly another man's treasure.

can we stop with the NC sux/doesnt suk threads.

:puking:

Not what this is, or at least what it was intended. I am really interested in why people want to live here or don't want to live here. This place is about perfect for me, warts and all, but I understand others may have a different opinion. It's not about that it "sux/doesnt suk", but about why folks feel this way.

chuckman
01-02-2009, 09:30
Pros:
quality, affordable state university system
four seasons
mountains and beaches
temperate climate
world-class healthcare
awesome Mexican restaurants

Cons:
taxes
housing prices (in central NC)
liberal politics
Chapel Hill (see all three above)
"Good Roads State"...you gotta be kidding me...

nursetim
01-02-2009, 09:36
never mind

Paraiso1
01-02-2009, 11:24
I am stuck here in Eastern NC with the pine trees and sand, which is one of the ugliest places I have ever been, BUT I just got back from the western side of the state where a hike in the mountains makes you realize how beautiful of a state NC is. Absolutely beautiful.

chuckman
01-02-2009, 12:03
I am stuck here in Eastern NC with the pine trees and sand, which is one of the ugliest places I have ever been, BUT I just got back from the western side of the state where a hike in the mountains makes you realize how beautiful of a state NC is. Absolutely beautiful.

When I was attached to the Marines we did some cross training at Bragg, out west near So Pines. It was summer. It was opressive.

kirgi08
01-02-2009, 14:10
I live 25 miles west of Asheville and it is GREAT! Except for the taxes NC is the best place that I have ever lived.

Where at?. I live in Asheville.I love the mtns and I don't think we will ever leave here.Granted the Eastern part of NC is not my cup of tea.'08.

Cameronswmp9
01-02-2009, 20:09
Pros:
quality, affordable state university system
four seasons
mountains and beaches
temperate climate
world-class healthcare
awesome Mexican restaurants

Cons:
taxes
housing prices (in central NC)
liberal politics
Chapel Hill (see all three above)
"Good Roads State"...you gotta be kidding me...

Four seasons? Construction, construction, construction, cold as hell?

Im with ya on the Mexican resturants, and the BBQ.

chuckman
01-03-2009, 07:07
Four seasons? Construction, construction, construction, cold as hell?

Im with ya on the Mexican resturants, and the BBQ.

Yeah, four seasons, sometimes all in the same week. Not many places can go from a high of 35 to a high of 75 in a couple days. I don't care for that wild swing, though. I forgot BBQ. Noit sure how I omitted that. My mom was raised on a farm in eastern NC...BBQ was the first food I remember eating.

silsby
01-03-2009, 18:11
In my humble opinion the mountains are the best part of the state. When you get down to it, where else can you live and be at the beach in a couple of hours and in the mountains in about 4.

geekboy
01-03-2009, 18:28
I have a home in Charlotte and one in the Tampa Bay area. I can't stand North Carolina, because I can't seem to carry my handgun anywhere that I like to go. :)

While that's an over generalization, I just can't stand the places that are off limits. It's so confusing between Florida and North Carolina, that I choose not to carry in North Carolina on my Florida permit, or to even get a North Carolina permit.

Unfortunately, I now rate a state by a.) lack of personal income tax, b.) quality of living, and c.) ability to exercise my 2nd amendment rights (even if through a permit process). That's right, being able to carry is now part of my process. Also, the right to carry can't be so restrictive as to be... impractical.

kirgi08
01-03-2009, 22:33
Thats simple,I don't go anywhere I/We can't carry.'08.

chuckman
01-04-2009, 14:04
Some people choose where to live based on 2nd Amendement run-off, or on a amyriad of other reasons. I just think a bit narrow-minded to pick a state of domicile based on just one issue. But, whatever floats one's boat. Geekboy, I DO understand re: taxes, and I loathe NC's tax 'system.'

geekboy
01-04-2009, 14:33
Some people choose where to live based on 2nd Amendement run-off, or on a amyriad of other reasons. I just think a bit narrow-minded to pick a state of domicile based on just one issue. But, whatever floats one's boat. Geekboy, I DO understand re: taxes, and I loathe NC's tax 'system.'My decision matrix has 4 qualities to choose a place to live. I would never leave it, personally, to just one narrow reason like lack of good beaches within short travel distance. :)

I think all States should have a consumption based tax system, like Florida and some other states. :)

carolinajohn63
01-04-2009, 21:52
Thats simple,I don't go anywhere I/We can't carry.'08.

While I think you intent is good, it is impractical. I will continue to berate the political leaders of this Democratic/Liberal State to change the laws so that we eliminate the restrictive aspects of our gun laws.

I am still laughing at the post about not going to parades, funerals and other places that do not permit carry. If you have young kids or aging family members, one must attend one of these events eventually.

I laugh even harder because the elected officials that are supposed to represent the people will not even answer letters that ask why these places are off limits.

I guess it is Government for the people, by the people only if you agree with the liberals that run the government eh?

I am a Physician Assistant and my wife a nurse and in that regard we are happy with the rules/regs that govern our respective careers. Unlike Ohio, I can practice independent here in NC. We do like the proximity to the beaches.

The government leadership leaves a lot to be desired here. Perdue Governor? Gimme a break! Julia Boseman State Senator...<barf>. Kay Hagan? Are you kidding me?????

Yes it could be worse.....But it could also be a whole lot better!

kirgi08
01-04-2009, 22:12
The western parts of NC are a lot more laid back than east of charlotte.'08.

chuckman
01-05-2009, 08:37
While I think you intent is good, it is impractical. I will continue to berate the political leaders of this Democratic/Liberal State to change the laws so that we eliminate the restrictive aspects of our gun laws.

I am still laughing at the post about not going to parades, funerals and other places that do not permit carry. If you have young kids or aging family members, one must attend one of these events eventually.

I laugh even harder because the elected officials that are supposed to represent the people will not even answer letters that ask why these places are off limits.

I guess it is Government for the people, by the people only if you agree with the liberals that run the government eh?

I am a Physician Assistant and my wife a nurse and in that regard we are happy with the rules/regs that govern our respective careers. Unlike Ohio, I can practice independent here in NC. We do like the proximity to the beaches.

The government leadership leaves a lot to be desired here. Perdue Governor? Gimme a break! Julia Boseman State Senator...<barf>. Kay Hagan? Are you kidding me?????

Carolinajohn, I agree with you on these points. See...I am not a total nut-bag. You raise a valid argument.

psybain
01-05-2009, 09:31
What I can't stand is the oppressive humidity in the summer and the high gas tax compared to other states in the reigon. I'm active duty, with CA residency, so I don't have to pay NC income tax (or CA's since I'm not living there), but I hate seeing 2-3 seperate taxes tossed onto my receipt when I go to food lion. If you could fix the humidity, taxes, and get some real freeways in eastern NC, it wouldn't be so bad.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I hate that you can't get any hard alcohol at a grocery store like you can in CA. ABC stores are just another pointless state-run institution that can be removed to save taxpayer money for things that actually matter.

Beware Owner
01-05-2009, 09:46

:bowdown:

magpie maniac
01-05-2009, 17:30
My wife and I are originally from Tennessee, but moved to the urban Piedmont area (central NC for those of you outside the state) a little over three years ago. We really enjoy it here and intend to stay long term.

We both tend to be fiscally conservative yet civil libertarian on most social issues so the liberals don't bother us so much. I don't agree with them on everything, but I can tolerate them. Don't restrict my right to bear arms and you can marry whomever you wish for all I care.

I like North Carolina because it seems to be the "most Northern Southern state" so to speak. Yeah, the taxes are a little higher than elsewhere in the South, but the schools are better than other Southern states. (Trust me; we have two kids and have firsthand experience.) Frankly, you get what you pay for most times. NC tends to have a lot of the benefits of the Southern states while having a better quality of life that you'll find in the North.

It's nice being a within a short drive from both mountains and the beach. Lots to do on the weekends. Pro sports teams galore. Elite universities. Amtrak. Museums. Reasonably priced housing. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Word about NC is spreading. Hence, it's the 4th fastest growing state in the US. As long as the state booms smartly and preserves undeveloped land, I'm all for growth.

Thx-1138
01-06-2009, 10:40
I really like NC. I've lived in: TX, CA, MS, HI, SC, MI, FL and NC.

NC has a good mix of what I like.

The Carolina Panthers

The Carolina Hurricanes

It has FIVE seasons: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, Hurricane

The weather is really rather mild in the winter. A couple of really cold weeks split up by temperatures in the 60's. I like the uncertainty. We might get snow this year, you might not... You just never know!

The summer heat is oppressive. But that's why God created Air Conditioning.

It's gun laws are better than many places I've lived. I still hate disarming every time I need to go to one of the kids' schools, but that's what OC spray and an "ordinary pocket knife" is for.

Taxes aren't as good as FL; they aren't as bad as CA. It's a wash.

Where I live (Raleigh/Durham RTP Area), you can go to the beach for a long day or weekend. You can drive to D.C. when you get the urge to get emotional about the best parts of our government's history, or to protest current problems.

There are jobs here. Most people don't really don't LIKE working (if we did, why would they pay us?), but it beats the alternative.

People aren't so oppressive to ask me to stop smoking my pipe or cigar when I'm at a bar, restaurant smoking section, or at a tobacco store. I won't light up where I'm not supposed to as long as they don't get pissy about people smoking in places where it's permitted.

I don't care for the political leanings of most of my neighbors, but I'm accustomed to that. As long as they don't use force to tell me how to live my life or spend my money, I promise not to do the same to them. They're right friendly folk, even if many of them are naive about the world around them.

Grayson
01-08-2009, 20:24
NC's gun laws AREN'T that great. It ain't Wisconsin, Illinois, NYC, or Kalifornia....but as I often say: NC is a State in the South, NOT to be confused with a "Southern State." ;) Go read the thread I just started about activism if you need some examples. Bottom line, there are a lot of unjust and downright LOONY restrictions on CCW.

Then again, GA is more South than we are, and their gun laws are downright DRACONIAN.

I'm in Western NC, and like it pretty good here. I've visited Wilmington briefly twice, want to head back there again one day. Also want to hit the Outer Banks at least once...