Wife made a batch of kimchee [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife made a batch of kimchee

Green_Manelishi
01-01-2009, 21:27
Either I have lost my edge or this batch is indeed hotter than previous creations. Fortunately chocolate helps put out the fire.

gruntmedik
01-06-2009, 08:42
:drool: Recipe?

I loved eating kimchi when I was in Korea, but good golly it would give you some serious dragon breath.

Kempo
01-06-2009, 09:10
I love good kimchee made with big chunks of the white radishes. Funny story, several years ago I flew to Texas and went to Killeen, and was to drive a pickup back to Pennsylvania. I went to a Korean grocery there the day before I was to leave and asked them to make me two gallon jars of kimchee to take back with me. I picked them up early the next morning and the lady there told me to leave the jar lids a little loose on the drive back so they could "work". When I pulled into buy gas in Arkansas I noticed a bad smell kinda like a dumpster, and noticed the kimchee juice trickling out under the tailgate. It was pretty funny watching other nearby customers looking at the bottom of their shoes, etc.

But that was probably some of the best kimchee I ever ate.

Green_Manelishi
01-06-2009, 09:14

I loved eating kimchi when I was in Korea, but good golly it would give you some serious dragon breath.

I'll ask my wife.

Glockerel
01-07-2009, 10:09

ass breath is more like it, but I love me some kimchee.

Green_Manelishi
01-07-2009, 14:04
This is her recipe. I do not know if it's authentic or not but it does taste fine.

1 bunch chinese cabbage
1-1/2 tsp ground/grated ginger
2 lrge cloves garlic minced
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 or more hot peppers, sliced
2 Tbl salt
2 Tbl red pepper flakes

cut up the cabbage into 1" pieces
add salt, blend evenly
let stand 10 minutes
add remaining ingredients
toss till well mixed
let sit in covered bowl, at room temerature, for 3 days
refrigerate

I think she mixes it up on occasion during those three days. At least that's the only thing I can think of that would cause the entire house to smell like rotting cabbage :wow:

gruntmedik
01-09-2009, 08:17
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

pesticidal
01-09-2009, 08:29
What is it about that stuff, anyhow? My old Korean karate teacher's wife made that stuff. She'd bring it out, and the smell was about enough to make you sick, but once you started eating it, it was pretty damn good. Hotter'n hell, too. Made the beer taste even better.

Glockerel
01-09-2009, 10:24
I get some at a Korean restaurant in St. Paul that is all green onions. DAYUM! it's the best!

g29andy
01-28-2009, 12:54
My mother made some stuff very similar to your recipe, but added cucumber and carrot slices, and a bit of soy sauce and a smidge of sesame oil. Pop called it "rotten cabbage."

Brings back memories.