PDA

View Full Version : Terry McAuliffe wants to be VA Gov

Fungunner
01-04-2009, 06:29
The Hill
McAuliffe announces bid for VA governor
By J. Taylor Rushing
Posted: 01/03/09 05:47 PM [ET]
Terry McAuliffe on Saturday announced his candidacy for the Virginia governorship, attempting to position himself as the natural successor to Democrats Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.

In an e-mail video distributed to supporters, the former Democratic National Committee chairman said he has lived in the commonwealth for almost 20 years and that his campaign would focus on the economy, energy and the records of Warner and Kaine. McAuliffe is a resident of McLean and said he would make a formal announcement on Wednesday.

“Over the coming months, we will travel to every corner of the commonwealth to ask all Virginians to join our campaign to get the economy moving again,” McAuliffe said. “As governor, I’ll make it my job to protect your job, grow this economy, make Virginia a leader in renewable energy, focus on long-term transportation solutions and give our children the best education so they have a chance to pursue the American dream right here in Virginia.”

McAuliffe’s announcement was expected after he formed an exploratory committee on Nov. 10. He enters the race with significant fundraising potential. His chairmanship of the DNC from 2001 to 2005 spanned a period in which the organization raised nearly $600 million, erased its debt and positioned itself for wins in the 2006 congressional elections and the 2008 presidential contest under current chairman Howard Dean.

McAuliffe has at least two primary opponents, State Sen. Robert Creigh Deeds, who ran for attorney general in 2005, and Brian Moran, who succeeded Deeds as chairman of the House Democratic Caucus in Richmond.

The only announced GOP candidate is current Attorney General Bob McDonnell, whom McAuliffe called “a good man” in his announcement video. McAuliffe did not mention Deeds or Moran.

Jerseycitysteve
01-08-2009, 10:43
Craig Deeds is a good guy. However, McAwfull has no chance.

Wolfgang
01-08-2009, 18:42
Tim Kaine wants to be DNC parttime.

You'd think Gov would be full time?

Fungunner
01-08-2009, 19:57
Tim Kaine wants to be DNC parttime.

You'd think Gov would be full time?

Bet he would ill used, if someone suggested he only be paid part-time wages as governor. Hmmm, guess I should write my delegate.

Why would I want to vote for a guy, whose initial slogan appears to be; "vote for me, I'm not from Virginia"?

(line deleted to remove mis-information)

Not all familiar with Deeds, but Bob McDonnell has always done right for gun owners and I would hope, will be a great candidate for the Commonwealth.

ChuteTheMall
01-08-2009, 20:12
Brian Moran, aside from being a family legacy politician, I wouldn't vote for him, based on his daddy.

Brian Moran is Jim Moran's brother.

They are both yankee carpetbaggers from Boston.

Fungunner
01-09-2009, 03:08
DOH!

You are correct, I will wipe the egg off my red face!

TheEggman
01-09-2009, 06:59
Brian Moran is Jim Moran's brother.

They are both yankee carpetbaggers from Boston.

As much as I hate to say anything nice about a liberal, Brian and Jim Moran are not clones.

Jim is VAs answer to Marion Barry and I rank him 3' below the sludge on the bottom of the cesspool.

Brian (a neighbor) is a lot more middle of the road than his brother. In the unfortunate instance that a Dem is going to win, then Brian appears to be the lesser of the evils. [More like a splinter under the nail in lieu of a needle in the eye.]

ChuteTheMall
01-09-2009, 08:04
Only one of these three democrat contenders ever had an NRA endorsement (so he will probably come in third):

October 12, 2005

Hold Your Nose and Attend, or I'll kick You off the Committee

So-called Democrat and candidate for Virginia Attorney General Creigh Deeds will be wined and dined at Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille's home tonight - October 12th, from 6:00 to 7:30. Special Guest is James Carville. Suggested contribution is $1,000.

Creigh Deeds was endorsed by both Representative Tom DeLay and the anti-Democrat National Rifle Association, at the NRA's annual meeting in April.

It would be interesting to know whether Senator Ticer, Delegate Van Landingham, Delegate Brian Moran, Congressman Jim Moran, and members of the Alexandria City Council who have bitterly complained about Alexandria's lack of legal authority to ban firearms from City Hall will attend the reception.

http://www.jonathanmark.com/2005Blog/1129113057

Jerseycitysteve
01-09-2009, 09:34
Only one of these three democrat contenders ever had an NRA endorsement (so he will probably come in third):

http://www.jonathanmark.com/2005Blog/1129113057

No, why? Both Webb and Warner had high NRA marks for good reason. The Dems don't want to touch gun control with a ten foot pole in the South, because the issue loses them elections.

Broadside
01-14-2009, 13:00
The Hill
His [McAuliffe's] chairmanship of the DNC from 2001 to 2005 spanned a period in which the organization raised nearly $600 million, erased its debt and positioned itself for wins in the 2006 congressional elections and the 2008 presidential contest under current chairman Howard Dean.

Wow! Talk about spin. They failed to mention how Democrats were decimated in the '02 and '04 election cycles.

McAuliffe is a great fundraiser and lousy at everything else.

watsoncb
01-14-2009, 18:50
I listened McAuliffe describe how he was the person to "fix" the impass in Richmond. How he is an "outsider" that has no legislative promises to worry about. Then he explained he has been a Virginian for 20+ years.

If he is the candidate for the dems, the Repubs should be able to take the Governor's race.... may be.

I hope the 2010 election gives us a chance to send McAuliffe back to do Democratic party work.

Broadside
01-15-2009, 16:00
Didn't McAuliffe run Hilliary's Presidential Campaign?

Olivers_AR
01-15-2009, 16:33
Never count out the top Dem fundraiser, especially if the GOP doesn't run a strong campaign :dunno: