Elementary teacher carry in GA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Elementary teacher carry in GA

hubbard
01-04-2009, 15:32
Hello All,
A hoosier Glocker here whose daughter is an elementary teacher in GA. She has had Indiana carry permit for 5 years.
Question. If she obtains a GA permit is it LEGAL to leave gun in car in school parking lot in GA?
Thanks for your help.

myglock17
01-04-2009, 19:58
Hello All,
A hoosier Glocker here whose daughter is an elementary teacher in GA. She has had Indiana carry permit for 5 years.
Question. If she obtains a GA permit is it LEGAL to leave gun in car in school parking lot in GA?
Thanks for your help.

Check out this link and it might help you. http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

hubbard
01-05-2009, 09:57
Thanks, myglock17!

GeorgiaGlocker
01-24-2009, 19:56
Read it carefully.

hubbard
01-25-2009, 08:43
ok, I have read it and will re-read it. Anything in particular you are concerned about that I might miss?

brazen_atl
02-09-2009, 07:00
She is unable to leave it in her car.
As a parent, I can carry while in the act of picking my kid up from school. But can not carry to school functions.
My wife is an elementary school teacher, whenever I go to visit her, I will park down the street outside the NO GUN ZONE and walk.

45er
02-09-2009, 09:34
Hello All,
Thanks for your help.

IANAL
But reading the code, because she is a teacher at the school in question, according to O.C.G.A 16-11-127.1(c)(17), she is allowed to have it in her vehicle "provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle".

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127.1

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle;

brazen_atl
02-10-2009, 09:45
Sweet, you learn something new everyday.

45er
02-10-2009, 13:43
Sweet, you learn something new everyday.
Although knowing the left leanings of a lot in education, I would not let it be known. Just because she is legally allowed to have a weapon in her car in a locked container, that still won't help her if someone finds out and her "contract doesn't get renewed". If you know what I mean. Also,if the school resource officer finds out and makes a stink about it she may take a ride due to lack of knowledge of the law.

BTW, I am PRO LEO and PRO Education. My father was an LEO (he recently passed), and my mother is a retired school teacher. I also work for an institute of higher learning, so I am not trying to bash LEOs or School teachers, just trying to stress the fact that it is legal for her to have a weapon locked in her car, but don't tell anyone about it. Kinda like Clinton's Don't ask don't tell policy :whistling:

brazen_atl
02-11-2009, 06:49
I agree totally, not to bash any group, but unfortunately there are those that are either ignorant of the law or have an agenda against citizens protecting themselves. :faint:
But yes keep it on the "down low" because in that environment people will tend to think you are a bit off your rocker for being pro 2A.