Getting a direct commission in the Army Reserves? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a direct commission in the Army Reserves?

the iceman
01-06-2009, 21:43
Is this possible or would I have to do the traditional route?

One of my friends was talking about it but he wasn't sure on the details of it.

CPT_CRUNCH
01-06-2009, 23:10
hope he's old fashioned...

doesnt exsist buddy. even if he's a doc or a lawyer he'll still have to do some training. if he is a doc or a lawyer the good thing is that its not too much training.

they basically want to make sure he doesnt sound like a retard when talking to us regular trained officers!

the iceman
01-06-2009, 23:37

doesnt exsist buddy. even if he's a doc or a lawyer he'll still have to do some training. if he is a doc or a lawyer the good thing is that its not too much training.

they basically want to make sure he doesnt sound like a retard when talking to us regular trained officers!

Damn. I was hoping there was another legit way to return to the Army as an officer other than OCS.

skyrider
01-07-2009, 00:13
Damn. I was hoping there was another legit way to return to the Army as an officer other than OCS.

You said "return". My brother did exactly that, got a direct appointment into the Army Reserves then transfered into the Guard. He had been out for nearly 20 years too! In his case, they would only take him if he went into the Engineer branch. He never went to a branch school before his transfer to the Guard. He's half crazy because now he's going to the Infantry branch school. There are lots of caveats, for example he has a certain timeframe in which to go to branch school, otherwise he loses his appointment and is removed from service.

CPT_CRUNCH
01-07-2009, 11:18
You said "return". My brother did exactly that, got a direct appointment into the Army Reserves then transfered into the Guard. He had been out for nearly 20 years too! In his case, they would only take him if he went into the Engineer branch. He never went to a branch school before his transfer to the Guard. He's half crazy because now he's going to the Infantry branch school. There are lots of caveats, for example he has a certain timeframe in which to go to branch school, otherwise he loses his appointment and is removed from service.

ice is talking about becoming an officer. if this is/was your brothers scenario sounds like he was already an officer and then nearly 20 years later he went to the reserves and subsequently into the guard. that does happen.

iceman is talking about something totally different. his question was if he (or his friend i guess) become an officer directly w/out going through the traditional commissioning sources (ROTC, OCS, USMA)

Bren
01-07-2009, 15:06
My old company commander came to our unit as a drill sergeant candidate, put in the direct commission paperwork right after drill sergeant school, and got a direct commission as a LT. My current company commander was a MP SFC and got a direct commission. Another drill sergeant has done the same since I've been there. I've considered it and may give it a try in another couple of years. Seems to be pretty common.

Bren
01-07-2009, 15:09

The direct commissioned people I've seen have to go to officer basic, but not until after they get commissioned. My LT has been an officer for at least a couple of years and hasn't gone to OBC yet (also can't get promoted yet).

Chaz375
01-07-2009, 16:19

Don't quote me on the particulars of how to do it, but I do know that it is possible. My wife got a direct commission in MI in 2004, and her friend also did the same recently. I don't know the exact criteria, or selection process, but it is possible in the U.S. Army Reserves. The only particulars that I do know is that you have to have a 4-year degree, submit a packet, and go before a selection board in your area, but I don't know any more than that...sorry. Active Duty Army is a different ballgame - you have to go to one of the Service Academies, ROTC, or OCS for a commission. Good luck!!

Sam White
01-07-2009, 17:26
ice is talking about becoming an officer. if this is/was your brothers scenario sounds like he was already an officer and then nearly 20 years later he went to the reserves and subsequently into the guard. that does happen.

iceman is talking about something totally different. his question was if he (or his friend i guess) become an officer directly w/out going through the traditional commissioning sources (ROTC, OCS, USMA)

The Army Reserve and the Army National Guard both have direct commissions for officers outside of doctors, lawyers, nurses, and chaplains. It was done a few times in my RRC when I was in the USAR and I was there when one of our SSG's in my old unit became a 2LT.

My RRC was looking for people with prior service (usually Army), at least some NCOES, a deployment, some leadership experience, etc. It was possible to get one as a SPC, but usually SGT's or SSG's were the people who were recommended by the board. In my state the Army Guard has a requirement to be a SGT w/WLC.

skyrider
01-07-2009, 23:30

No, he was former enlisted, got a direct appointment to 2LT.

the iceman
01-08-2009, 00:59
So there might be that tiny ray of hope after all. I just need to figure out how to play the angle.

I am an ex-grunt E-5, 6 years in, combat experienced. Also have a bachelor’s in international relations and about a year away from getting a masters in U.S. foreign policy. Also working on completing certification on bioterrorism.

So I think I would have the credentials to at least get a good look from the Army. I have been out of the loop for five year though so I don’t know how a lot of this stuff works anymore.

I kind of want to go play soldier again.

Dean
01-08-2009, 01:18
So there might be that tiny ray of hope after all. I just need to figure out how to play the angle.
I am an ex-grunt E-5, 6 years in, combat experienced. Also have a bachelor’s in international relations and about a year away from getting a masters in U.S. foreign policy. Also working on completing certification on bioterrorism.
So I think I would have the credentials to at least get a good look from the Army. I have been out of the loop for five year though so I don’t know how a lot of this stuff works anymore.
I kind of want to go play soldier again.

You're perfect for OCS. WHY do you want a commission in the Army without going to school for it? You don't want to be some joker without a clue getting people killed do you? Being a LT is NOT the same as being a Sergeant, Sergeant! Did you think it was?
Go to OCS or go to the Foreign Service. The FBI would also be a good choice for you. Now's the time, Cowboy. :drillsgt:

Bren
01-08-2009, 07:09
You're perfect for OCS. WHY do you want a commission in the Army without going to school for it? You don't want to be some joker without a clue getting people killed do you? Being a LT is NOT the same as being a Sergeant, Sergeant! Did you think it was?
Go to OCS or go to the Foreign Service. The FBI would also be a good choice for you. Now's the time, Cowboy. :drillsgt:

Direct commissioned officers do go to school - an officers basic course and an officers course for their branch, although what they learn that a sergeant shouldn't already know is probably not going to get anybody killed - more likely cause them to misroute some paperwork.

VStorm
01-14-2009, 14:03
direct commissions are given all the time in the reserves. you just have to have the qualifications that the reserves need. still have to attend the basic course. i saw colonels in the basic course at fort sam.

combat arms is a different story. unless you have the background, enlisted, no direct commission.

of course the requirement to have a college degree is mandatory now.

CPT_CRUNCH
01-14-2009, 14:44
wow, are you serious? never heard of this outside of medical, lawyer, and the chaplains. its bad enough that the doc's and the lawyers usually dont have a clue.

anyways, ice check this out... straight from goarmy.com, talks about direct commission but again only for the professional branches.

http://www.goarmy.com/reserve/ps/commissioned_officer.jsp

this ones for the guard...

http://www.wy.ngb.army.mil/recruiters/_downloads/DirectCommission_Guide.pdf

time for some googling...

slyjackalope
01-14-2009, 19:49
wow, are you serious? never heard of this outside of medical, lawyer, and the chaplains. its bad enough that the doc's and the lawyers usually dont have a clue.

anyways, ice check this out... straight from goarmy.com, talks about direct commission but again only for the professional branches.

http://www.goarmy.com/reserve/ps/commissioned_officer.jsp

this ones for the guard...

http://www.wy.ngb.army.mil/recruiters/_downloads/DirectCommission_Guide.pdf

Being one of those lawyers that actually has a clue (just like most of the JAG Corps), it's kind of surprising that you would keep running your mouth like this after you've already put your foot in it a couple of times in one thread.

skyrider
01-15-2009, 00:00
combat arms is a different story. unless you have the background, enlisted, no direct commission.

of course the requirement to have a college degree is mandatory now.

My brother, mentioned above, received a direct appointment into Infantry. He was prior enlisted eons ago and not in a combat arm. To the original poster, if you don't personally try, it will be fact that you don't get an appointment. Call a recruiter, both from the Guard and the Reserves. Don't ask them if it's possible, ask them how it can be done.

Bren
01-16-2009, 12:34
wow, are you serious? never heard of this outside of medical, lawyer, and the chaplains. its bad enough that the doc's and the lawyers usually dont have a clue.[/URL]

So you think NCO's don't have a clue? They have a similar opinion of officers, of course.

You seem to be talking about direct commissions from civilian life, in the professional branches. Everybody else is talking about direct commissions from NCO to officer for, as stated above, a combat experienced Infantry NCO.

Cobra6
02-03-2009, 13:10

Iceman,
You have chosen a good time to do this - my National Guard unit processed 4 or 5 packets this past year. Since you have a college degree, you should not have a big problem.

You can still do the traditional route, fast-track, or direct commissioning. Since you were an E-5, you should be OK. I think they recently raised the age limit to 36, but I am not sure about that.
If you know what branch you want, you should select a unit that needs that type of officer and get that same unit to pull it together.
Every state (and sometimes each MACOM) has different packet requirements - but some things you will have to do are -
GT score 110 or higher
security clearance,
current physical exam
college degree

Check with an officer at your local unit - if they are not any help, shoot me a message.

skyrider
02-04-2009, 00:07
I think they recently raised the age limit to 36, but I am not sure about that.

I haven't gone back to re-read all of the posts, so I may not be speaking to your point. My brother (mentioned earlier) turns 45 in March. Imagine being a 45 year old 2LT and then seeing the wisdom of going to Infantry Officer school! Mom always said one of us was dropped on our head...guess I know which one of us.

KG Dad
02-04-2009, 23:59
Being one of those lawyers that actually has a clue (just like most of the JAG Corps), it's kind of surprising that you would keep running your mouth like this after you've already put your foot in it a couple of times in one thread.

Ditto, Amen and thank you!

MJH
6th JAG
90th RRC
"It's an Honor to Serve"

milglock707
02-07-2009, 00:18
As another member of the JAG I can concur that most of the Corps does know what they are doing. Nonetheless, you will always come across a new CPT or so that doesn't have a clue. Such is life and the military is no different.