View Full Version : LT Gov Cagle draws line on weapons bill

GeorgiaGlocker
01-07-2009, 11:15
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/2009/01/06/guns.html
Cagle draws line on weapons bills

By Aaron Gould Sheinin

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle on Monday shot down plans one lawmaker has to expand the places gun owners in Georgia may legally carry concealed weapons.

Cagle, speaking with reporters at his Capitol office, said he had “no appetite” to revisit the concealed carry law. Sen. Mitch Seabaugh (R-Sharpsburg) has been considering a bill that would expand the places where guns would be allowed. The current law bans weapons at places the public gathers, a description that includes churches and college campuses.

Seabaugh’s state study committee has been considering a proposal to drop the ban on some of those locations.

Seabaugh acknowledged that Cagle has the “right and authority to be able to dictate a lot of the agenda that goes on in the Senate,” but said the lieutenant governor has always respected each senator’s right to pursue specific issues.

“I look forward to being able to sit down and talk about those with the lieutenant governor,” Seabaugh said.

Cagle was emphatic in his opposition Monday.

“Let me be clear,” he said, adding that the issue was dealt with last year. “People should be content with where we are.”

Only two bills dealing with firearms have been filed so far for the 2009 legislative session, which begins Monday. One would end the requirement that concealed weapons be kept in a holster. The other, sponsored by Sen. Ronald Ramsey (D-Lithonia), would require all handgun ammunition to be individually coded for identification.

The holster bill is sponsored by Sen. John Douglas (R-Social Circle). Douglas said Monday that he hopes Cagle’s concerns do not include his proposal.

“I haven’t talked to him directly about it,” Douglas said. “I feel like it’s a pretty innocuous bill that shouldn’t cause a great deal of controversy.”

UPDATE/THE STORY SO FAR

> Previously: A state law permitting licensed gun owners to carry concealed firearms in parks, on public transportation and in restaurants that serve liquor went into effect July 1.

> The latest: Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle doesn’t plan for senators to revisit the concealed guns law, which a legislator wants to expand.

> What’s next: The Legislature begins its 40-day session on Monday.

Letters to The Editor -
letters@ajc.com

GeorgiaGlocker
01-07-2009, 11:20
Here's more from the www.georgiacarry.org website:

(1) Lt. Gov: The Study Committee is DEAD

Most of you already know that Lt. Governor Casey Cagle wields substantial power in the Georgia Senate. Rumors have been rampant that the firearms study committee meetings that were cancelled were removed from the calendar due to the active interference of Lt. Governor Cagle. While GCO did not spread this rumor to its membership without confirmation, today the Lt. Governor appeared in front of the Atlanta press to confirm the rumor for himself. See the AJC and Channel 11 news (both with open comments sections now, and sorely in need of rational, cogent commentary). He declared that any bill to repeal Georgia's public gathering law would be "going nowhere." He told the press, "Let me be very clear. I have no appetite for it." What is his message to you, the GCO member, who believes that Georgia's laws are still too confusing and restrictive and unjustifiably threaten you with jail for carrying in the "wrong" location?

He said, "We dealt with this issue last year. I think people should be content with where we are."

The fact that Georgia has a Jim Crow law on the books in 2009 is evidence enough that they did not deal with the issue last year. We are not content with a public gathering law still on the books. Even law enforcement officers testified in front of the committee that the law was too vague and confusing and that it needed to be clarified. This was a position that not even the gun control advocates disputed. Although they want more places off limits than GCO does, they testified that the law definitely needs clarification.

So, what to do?

Like we said, we need 3,200 letters. That is a pile of paper that the Lt. Governor and his staff cannot simply ignore. Please keep your letter very polite, as always, but request that he reconsider his position. Rumor has it that Lt. Governor Casey Cagle desires the Governor's office in 2010. Therefore, it is important that he is aware of what Georgians think about this issue and how it affects their daily lives.

Please write to him. Follow up your written (on paper and mailed through the U.S Postal service) letter with an email and then a telephone call to his office (use the utmost courtesy - as you will catch more flies with honey . . . )

Here is Casey Cagle's contact information.

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Administrative Staff
240 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
TEL: (404) 656-5030
FAX: (404) 656-6739

His email page is here, but we suggest using email only after sending a real, paper letter. Emails can be ignored more easily than a real piece of paper sitting on a desk (with, 3,199 other pieces of paper!). Will you help? Is 2009 the year to be content?

Remember, keep it short and to the point if you want it to be read. At the risk of beating a dead horse, please keep it courteous. While we do want to get our point across, we certainly do not want Georgia's Lt. Governor as an enemy for the next two years. Please urge the Lt. Governor to change his position on your civil rights in 2009.

Blitzer
01-07-2009, 12:31
Jambog http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975939

GeorgiaGlocker
01-07-2009, 13:15
Jambog http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975939

I knew it was posted in the carry forum, but also wanted to post it here.