Anyone shoot at SGC? How about AZ Shooters World? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot at SGC? How about AZ Shooters World?

Dashes
01-07-2009, 17:36
What's your preferred range to shoot at?

I usually go to Scottsdale Gun Club (Hayden and Northsight) because its close...
But $15 an hour is a little on the WTF side...

Shooters World (I-17 and Indian School) is a little cheaper, at 12, but not air conditioned.
And they don't allow rapid fire... At all.:faint:

And THENNN there's Ben Avery. Which is out doors, and you only get to shoot when the R.O. says.

Then you've gotta wait 10 minutes for everyone to play with their targets before you can continue.

Where do you shoot?

bwphoto
01-08-2009, 00:09
I'm a member at the SGC. It seems like every time I go there's a long line of people waiting to get a lane. My membership is to expire soon and I think I'm going to let it. Plus, their service is pretty sub par. I had a shotgun shipped to me and to track down someone to get it was enough of a pain - let alone all the times they would get pulled away to do something else, then stick someone else on my task, etc... Poor management but they're making a killing out there so who knows if it'll ever improve.

That said, their facility is really nice and you can call to reserve a lane as a member.

CU4X4N
01-08-2009, 23:34

I usually go to Scottsdale Gun Club (Hayden and Northsight) because its close...

Just join SGC at $30/month and yer good to go!

Desert Duck
01-10-2009, 10:24
CU4x4N:

Is that $30 a month on a month by month basis?

Reason is Caswells in Mesa is a few minutes from my house but they want the whole year membership for $339...

IF SGC is $30 a month, that might be better.

TheVeryIdea
01-11-2009, 14:09

Shooters World (I-17 and Indian School) is a little cheaper, at 12, but not air conditioned.
And they don't allow rapid fire... At all.:faint:

And THENNN there's Ben Avery. Which is out doors, and you only get to shoot when the R.O. says.

Then you've gotta wait 10 minutes for everyone to play with their targets before you can continue.

Where do you shoot?

Where did you get the idea that Shooters World isn't air conditioned? Granted, it may not be the best-ventilated building in Phoenix, but I've gotten bays that were directly underneath the AC duct.

I shoot most frequently at Shooters World just because it's close to where I live, but I don't have a membership anywhere. I like SGC but it's so far out of the way for me that I might as well keep driving north and shoot in the forest for free.

CU4X4N
01-12-2009, 15:24
CU4x4N:

Reason is Caswells in Mesa is a few minutes from my house but they want the whole year membership for $339...

Here is the info that you requested.

It's only $24.95 month actually.

But you do have to sign up for a year.

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/memberships/rwb.php

CPT_CRUNCH
01-13-2009, 13:52
yeah bud, shooters world is air conditioned. but i know what you mean in the actual range area... its pretty hot. WTF???

personally, i do NOT like shooters world. too many people, and the range safety's are a pain in the ass!

i only occassionally go there when we're in phoenix cause my sister-in-law used to be a member and guys working there want to bang her and give us a great discount.

denfoote
01-15-2009, 01:43
County shooting range opens to the public

Robin N. Clayton
staff writer

Class 3-weapons friendly, safe and inexpensive - what more could West Valley shooters ask for?

The Gen. Joe Foss Shooting Complex and Ensign John C. Butler Rifle Range at Buckeye Hills Regional Park is once again open to the public, and recent renovations mean a more pleasurable shooting experience for everyone.

About the only thing you cannot shoot is a .50-caliber weapon, which is commonly banned from most ranges because of the noise and damage it creates on the bunkers, Chief Range Master Manual Alvarez said.

The newly renovated shooting facility, at 26700 W. Buckeye Hills Drive, provides users with 200-yard and 50-yard ranges, 40 covered stations that will hold up to 80 shooters and a new building with a store for target purchases.

The facility also has classroom space for training, and the space is available for rent for any club or organization that wishes to use it. The club will also sell targets and rent gun cases. All guns must be cased and secured before going onto the premises.

Buckeye Sportsman Club

The range, which is on Maricopa County property, is being managed by the Buckeye Sportsman Club, Alvarez said.

The Buckeye Sportsman Club, established in 1946, has 55 members. The club managed the original shooting range, which was built in the early 1970s.

The range was under construction for a year, and then the facility sat unoccupied for another year because of lack of management.

When the original Request For Proposal went out for management of the range, the club applied for it but was not chosen, Alvarez said.

The county was trying to work on a management agreement with the town of Buckeye, but budget issues kept the deal from going through, Maricopa County Regional Park Superintendent Jennifer Waller said.

When the opportunity arose again, the club went to the county and asked for a special-use permit to open the range until the county finished the second RFP process in April.

"We are going to be putting in for that, so hopefully we will be here permanently," Alvarez said.

During the construction, a second range was also built for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, Waller said.

"They have a range for their use, and a bomb area where they can detonate explosives safely," Waller said.

The MCSO range is not open to the public.

Members of the Buckeye Sportsman Club pay a $75 annual fee (which will increase to $85 in mid-February) and they shoot free at the range on any day that it is open to the public. Members are also encouraged to provide 24 hours of volunteer time a year to run and clean the range.

Safe place to play

"This is a safe environment," Alvarez said, adding that the Bureau of Land Management was "cracking down" on shooters in the open desert.

All Range Masters are National Rifle Association certified, he said.

The range is also "totally green," with self-contained water services and solar power to run the lights, computer equipment and all other electrical services, Alvarez said.

It is also a "state-of-the-art," 100-percent Americans with Disabilities Act compliant facility, he said.

The entire project, including the MCSO range, cost approximately $18 million.

The range will eventually offer hunter education, trap and skeet, and an archery range as well as classes on home defense and concealed weapons permits, he said.

Minimum staffing for the range are four people - a range master, two line officers and a retail worker.

"I have been drooling to get this out here and use it. I hope we get the contract," Alvarez said.

County land

The land originally belonged to the Arizona Bureau of Land Management, Waller said, and then it became the county's through the Recreation and Public Purposes Act, which authorizes the sale/lease of public lands for recreational or public purposes to state and local governments or qualified nonprofit organizations.

"We [Maricopa County] have 44,000 acres [in this area]; it all belongs to county parks," she said.

The range opened Jan. 3, and a grand opening is planned from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday. The range will be open to the public for shooting after the grand opening.

The range is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday. Public range times will shift in May to 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost is $5 per person; that cost will raise to $7 at an undetermined time in the future.

Alvarez said he hopes the range can be open to the public three or four days a week during the summer.

"Six days a week would be our ultimate goal. Groups are already in line to use the facilities; they are anxious," he said.

Robin Clayton can be reached by e-mail at rclayton@westvalleyview.com.

http://www.westvalleyview.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=33474

glock45acp21
01-15-2009, 20:04
http://www.westvalleyview.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=33474

really cool. I might go check it out. My dad is learning how to shoot again and this seems like a good place. Seems a little on the far side from Glendale. It's about 50 miles one way, so for the most part I'll stay with Ben Avery at an 18 mile one way trip.

GratefulDeb
01-15-2009, 20:25
I've been a member at SGC for over a year. At $30 a month its well worth it. If there is a wait, as a member you do get priority over non members. You can also call a day ahead and make a reservation, which is great if you know for sure you are going shooting.

I've had mostly great customer service from the people there. When its busy, its busy and you do have to wait on occasion.

I have bought 2 guns there. A Springfield EMP 9, and and HK P30L. Prices were very fair and competitive. Had some issues with the EMP (feed issues at breakin), and they took care of them no problem.

Big perk over Shooters World is the a/c in the ranges. Membership is $30 a month, but initial membership is a year. month to month after that.

Prices on guns and ammo are also fair, and you do get a discount on ammo as a member.

They also supply eyes and ears for free if you need them.

Hope that helps.

Klondike
01-16-2009, 21:47
I like the SGC store. I bought my Glock 19 there with the Military/LE discount. All the weapons on the walls are also fun to drool over, but the range costs are a little too pricey for me. Maybe if I could go frequently it would be worth it, but living in Surprise by the White Tanks, it's a bit of a drive.

I am a member at Shooter's World. With their military discount, membership was only $50 for the whole year. I'd go with a buddy of mine, who also got the mil. discount, and we'd shoot on Friday nights because ladies shot and rented guns for free so his wife could shoot too.

I go to Ben Avery for archery and rifle sight in.

I like the open desert for rifle and shotgun plinking.

I may try that Buckeye range sometime.

MR. Fantastic
01-29-2009, 19:40
CU4x4N:

$30 X 12 = $360 so no that is not better. Not to mention there is a $100 membership fee which = $460 for the first year. I don't understand why everyone thinks $460 a year is so well worth it. Sure, I bet every salesman tells you "if you sign up today I can get my manger to waive the membership fee." But even at $360 a year that is more than a gym membership. It's cool that they give you 1 free machine gun/handgun rental a year but remember $360 bucks! It's not really free. That goes for eyes and ears too. I've had memberships at 2 different ranges in the valley; one outdoor $85yr and one indoor $120yr and I just can't see how SGC is worth 3X more. I suppose if you're the type of guy that requires an indoor range then you're probably also the type of guy that will pay $360yr for (limited) shooting space.

That being said they have great firearms prices. If you are looking for anything other than a hunting rifle they will almost certianlly have the best price in town. So long as you don't mind the salesman making you feel like you're 2 feet tall.

AZ_Quailhunter
01-30-2009, 06:37
I like Caswells.....I have the "cheap" membership.....it was 99 bucks.....but with that one, you still have to pay 7 bucks an hour to shoot.....

Jay9928
02-06-2009, 15:46
Maybe it's me, but I prefer Ben Avery..... price is 7$ per person ALL DAY. I especially like it because it is outdoors, and I shot at indoor ranges, and the reverbiration hurt my ears, even with ear protection on.