Inauguration Day: Any issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inauguration Day: Any issues?

stooxie
01-08-2009, 19:37
Anyone think there's going to be any issues on Inauguration Day? Somehow I can't see how there won't be. That many people (half of them probably already fired up over the LA BART shooting) freezing their butts off, and being surrounded by cops? One porto-john for every 6000 people?

I dunno, my wife is thinking she wants to go in and I'm thinking that's the dumbest idea possible.

What do you guys think?

-Stooxie

jdavionic
01-08-2009, 19:41
I think it's a high risk event.

alien-Glocker
01-08-2009, 19:44
Seeing as they have closed all the bridges in to DC from Virginia and I-66 from the Beltway not sure how you'd get there other than walk!

Stay home, if you have the day off and enjoy it. If not take the day off and do something fun.

Jogitu
01-08-2009, 19:47
NO, change means all the liberals will behave now. Have you not heard the news?

Fungunner
01-09-2009, 03:13
I have little desire to go into DC on a good day.

Tweek's Turbos
01-09-2009, 17:50
I will be working that weekend but luckily not that Tuesday. I plan to have ALL my magazines with me, and extra boxes of ammo, along with a purple flashing strobe light with me everyplace I go.

jdavionic
01-09-2009, 18:36
...along with a purple flashing strobe light with me everyplace I go.

Portable disco light?

watsoncb
01-09-2009, 20:18
To plan/manage your inauguration activities. I have broken the information into sections: security, transportation and challenges. Here is the link to the Inauguration web site (http://www.inauguration.dc.gov/index.asp ).

The weather for Jan 20th will be very cold. Temps are expected to be around 10 to 15 degrees.

SECURITY

For several reasons, the security for this inauguration is very tight. There are several points to know:

1. To get to the Mall you will be required to go through a security check point similar to what you do at the airport (no x-ray or shoe check).
2. The Mall, Capital and near-by METRO subway stations will not be open.
3. All of the Virginia bridges into Washington DC will be closed, restricted to buses or be one way into Washington DC (14 Street bridge)
4. There will be a strong heavily armed police presence, please do not be surprised to see police officers with machine guns, etc.
5. DO NOT CCW into DC!

TRANSPORTATION

As I mentioned in the security section, travel into Washington DC from Virginia will be limited. All of the bridges into Washington DC from Virginia are restricted (one-way into DC only or Bus only) or closed. Transportation into Washington DC will be difficult. Arlington County has closed the whole county to public parking! It seems that there is only one way to get to the Mall, using METRO (http://www.wmata.com/ ).

1. METRO (area subway system):
a. METRO will open at 4:00 AM
b. METRO will NOT be free, everyone will need a fare card
c. All Mall METRO stations will be closed (security concerns)
d. There are no restrooms at METRO stations
e. Several METRO station parking lots (in Maryland) are not available

The METRO system is not crowd friendly. The station platforms are narrow and the system is not known for being customer friendly.

2. Taxi
a. Taxis will not be wise due to the transportation restrictions and traffic jams. Taxis will not be exempt from the security restrictions.

3. Walking
a. Expect to walk 3 to 4 miles (at a minimum)

4. Bus
a. There will be very limited (Falls Church West and Landmark Shopping Center) bus service from Virginia to the mall, most bus service will pick up passengers and drop them at metro stations

CHALLENGES

The first major challenge is time. Normally, it takes about an hour to get from the Mall to National (Ronald Regan) Airport. It is likely that it will take 3 or more hours to get out of the Mall (you will only be able to get out through special exit security checkpoints), walk to a Metro station, wait for a METRO train (that is not already full) and then get to the airport.

The Inauguration schedule is:

4:00 AM METRO opens
8:00 AM Mall security check points open
11:30 AM ~ 1:45/2:00 PM Inauguration
2:30 PM Parade

Other challenges facing you are:

~ Plan to travel light (required to get through the security checkpoints). There will be a limited number of Mall security checkpoints (13) and millions of people trying to get through them. Plan on standing in lines for hours with limited or more likely no access to bathrooms or food/water.

~ Bathrooms – There will be limited access to toilets

~ Food/Water – There will not be access to food and water.

~ Walking – there will be lots of people trying to get to the same place at the same time

Several new (and unexpected roads were added yesterday, I-66, I-395 & the GW Parkway) Also here are the prohibited items when trying to enter the security zone.

The prohibited items are:

Prohibited Items: As a security precaution, the following items will be prohibited from the Inaugural parade route, the White House reviewing stand and the Inaugural balls: firearms, ammunition, explosives, weapons of any kind, aerosols, supports for signs and placards, packages, coolers, thermal or glass containers, backpacks, bags exceeding size restrictions (8"x6"x4"), laser pointers, animals other than helper/guide dogs, structures, bicycles and any other items determined to be a potential safety hazard. With respect to signs and placards, items must be made of cardboard, poster board or cloth and have dimensions no greater than three (3) feet in width, 20 feet in length and one-quarter (1/4) inch in thickness. Surrendered items will not be returned, nor available for pick-up.

When you do the "math" going thing get pretty ugly. There are only 13 entrances/exits to the inauguration security area (all of the checkpoints are on the north side of the Mall). If only 1.5 mil show up, then 115,000 people will need to go through each checkpoint. If each person's security screen only takes 1 minute, the wait in line is a very long time.... the security checkpoints open at 8:00 AM.

The answers to several questions might be helpful in deciding whether to attend inauguration activities:

• Do you have the physical stamina to stand outside, "shoulder to shoulder," in large crowds for four, five or six hours or more and then spend additional hours getting back home?

• Are you comfortable in extremely large crowds?

• Can you walk long distances to get to your destination?

• Are you prepared for the extremely long delays getting to and from events?

• Can you care for and control small children in large crowds and tight spaces for long hours, if you plan to bring them?

slewfoot
01-09-2009, 20:23
I was planning on attending until I sobered up and learned who won the election.

RussP
01-15-2009, 09:56
We're not going. We're staying home, clining to our guns and religion.

Orkinman
01-15-2009, 12:19
I'm going....south. Far south. Away from any spill over of whatever may or may not happen up there on Tuesday.

I'm thinking that's the dumbest idea possible.
-Stooxie

Yep.