Thinking of moving to Knoxville/tazwell area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to Knoxville/tazwell area

skorittnig
01-11-2009, 14:37
Hi all,

I'm currently living in Wisconsin- Just wondering what life is like for handgun owners/ and USPSA shooting in the knoxville/tazwell areas of TN?

Is concealed carry allowed?

Are there many active gun clubs holding USPSA shoots regularly?

Any other info. is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

skorittnig

KG4IDA
01-11-2009, 18:53
Yes, TN has a pretty good concealed carry law.
You can't (currently) carry where alcohol is server however.
There is a very good USPSA club in Oak Ridge at the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association.

sarge83
01-15-2009, 13:16
What KG said, pretty good ranges in the Knoxville area. I don't know of any in the Tazwell area. But if you get a place in the country, build your own range. Depending on where you buy property prices are reasonable.

BTW tazwell has a nice little gunshop, Mike's Guns.

P7user
02-04-2009, 18:51
check out orsaap.com - that's the website for the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association Action Pistol group. We shoot IDPA on the first Saturday of the month, Cowboys shoot on the second Sat., IPSC is the third Sat, and Steel Plate challenge is shoot on 4th Sat. Also, there is a 3-gun match on the 3 Sunday (usually - though these matches are new and still working the bugs out). Also there are CMP matches several times a year, and Garand matches several times a year.

You will love it down here.

Cletusbrooks
02-06-2009, 03:11
if you move to tazewell you can come shoot with me. i got about 1000yrds and im working on welding up some steel targets

JRWnTN
02-10-2009, 20:56
There's a GSSF Match May 2-3 in Knoxville at the John Sevier Hunter Education Center/Volunteer Rifle & Pistol Club. www.vrpc.info

You'll definitely want a Tennessee handgun carry permit. Without it, our firearm carry laws are very restrictive.

mbrktn
02-21-2009, 08:07
I live halfway between Knoxville and Tazewell. Beautiful area, lots of pretty good real estate deals. Mike's Gun Shop in Tazewell is great. Good folks, good prices, and wide selection. As much or more than a "Big City," gun shop. Coal Creek Armory is an indoor range in West Knoxville, a pretty good trek, but if its cold or rainy its worth it. I'm kind of ambivalent about the staff; sometimes they are really nice, other times not so much. They are always really busy. I haven't been to the Oak Ridge range mentioned above but hear good things about it. There is a Range in Halls, which is on the Tazewell end of Knoxville, that hosts a GSSF match, I think in May. Guns shows every other month. All in all, pretty good place to be a gun nut.

DustyJacket
02-21-2009, 08:49
You can't (currently) carry where alcohol is server however.

is there a definition, like: over 50% of revenue is from alcohol sales?

Or, are you verboten from carrying in most restaurants because they also serve alcohol?

Also, how is TN on title II items like a silencer?

Knoxville area is where I could end up if we lose our jobs and the house. My FIL has a barn with an apartment inside that we could probably use.

mbrktn
02-21-2009, 08:53
There is currently a bill in the state legislature to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol before 11pm. No consumption allowed by persons carrying. Part of the issue is TN does not have a legal definition of a "Bar."

DustyJacket
02-21-2009, 09:08
I agree with the no consumption part. Colorado has a law that intoxicated posession of a firearm is illegal. No exceptions. Not even for the lawmen.

Hopefully your bill passes. I was unaware of the no restaurant carrying when I was last in the Knoxville area. Oops.

In Missouri, to be a bar, your revenue from alcohol has to be more than 50% of your total revenue. So a restaurant that sells more alcohol than food is classed as a bar.

i would prefer no such limitation, but to restrict the consumption of the person carrying.

mbrktn
02-21-2009, 09:12
I believe the pending TN law says carry will be allowed in an establishment that does not have an age requirement.

why
02-27-2009, 12:33
I love it, but be warned that someone from up north may consider Tazewell a bit backwoods.