Bullet for 9mm and 357 Sig? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bullet for 9mm and 357 Sig?

Chipster457
01-11-2009, 18:30
Is there one reasonably priced bullet that I can use for both 9mm parabellum and 357 Sig?

Purpose is punching holes in targets. I prefer factory loads for carry purposes.

After a bunch of searching here and elsewhere, it sounds like I need a flat-nosed bullet for 357 Sig. Glock 26 & KelTec PF-9 (9mm) and H&K compact (Sig 357) so lead bullets are out.

Hornady makes a 124 grain "encapsulated" flat nose.
Rainier makes a 124 grain "plated" flat nose.
Please let me know if it makes more sense to use a separate 115 grain round nose for 9mm.

Thanks in advance for advice.

shu
01-11-2009, 19:47
If there is, I'd like to find out about it.

When I started with the Glock 31, I used the Speer 125gr #4362 bullet. Works marvelous well, and good for the 9mm too. But affordable for plinking, it is not.

Have tried a number of truncated cone plated bullets - including the Hordady 121gr HAP - but not found any to work. Most were too long in the nose. In order to make the SAAMI max overall cartridge length (and have the finished cartridges fit in the magazine) I had to seat them off the cylindrical part and on the cone. Not sufficient grip to prevent bullet set-back.

Some I did get to seat satisfactorily in 357sig, but was not happy with the accuracy. Yr welcome to try Berrys or Montana Gold or one of the other commonly touted plated bullets.

Got so tired of seeing the G-31 sit there unused I went and bought an aftermarket 9mm barrel for it (along with a proper ejector and extractor to convert the G-31 to 9mm).

The Hornady 124 encapsulated is right on the ragged edge. I bought a canelure maker (the RCBS 357sig dies put a roll crimp, confirming my belief that 357sig seats on the shoulder). With care, I can just get the bullet to work.

Next thing to try is the Hunters Supply 124gr hardcast, $24.99 for 250 from Midway. Yes, I know - Glock and lead. Worst comes to worst, I can shoot them up as 9mm in the converted Glock or the Beretta 92fs.

Have been using Bluedot for 357sig, to fill up the case. Been hearing funky things about Bluedot lately, so when the bottle empties I'm going to give AA#9 another try.

- shu

dudley
01-11-2009, 19:50
There maybe, but you are tampering with fire. Get proper sig bullets, and proper 9mm bullets

shu
01-11-2009, 20:52
dudley - why so?

I have always considered that while the optimum bullet for a particular 9mm parabelum application may not be suitable for 357sig, the set of suitable 357sig bullets is fully contained within the set of suitable 9mm parabelum bullets.

What 357sig bullet would be unsuitable for 9mm? And why?

billy396
01-11-2009, 21:03
I've used Montana Gold 125 Gr. FMJ .357 SIG bullets in both .357 SIG and 9MM, and I haven't had any problems at all with them. They're .355, of course, and I always check OAL and check each round in a case gauge. They're accurate in both guns, and I haven't seen any signs of excessive pressure. Of course, I didn't try loading them to max loads.

fredj338
01-12-2009, 00:37
Bullets I have used w/ success in the 357sig (of course they will all work in 9mm too):
115gr Nosler JHP
124gr Berry's FP & HP
124gr Ranier FP
124gr & 147gr Hornady XTP (just barely)
124gr Precision (just barely)
102gr Rem.GS (actually any 380 bullet will work)
125gr Sierra JHC
124gr LTC (magma mold)
I shoot Speer 125grGD, Rem.125grGS or WWranger as carry ammo. I do not shoot MG bullets, but a LEO buddy that got me started shooting this round has used 1000s of 125grFMJ.

HOSTIL1
01-12-2009, 15:50
I use berry's 9mm 124g flat points and hollow points, they work great.

I just loaded 450 this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/HOSTIL1/Guns/P1000791.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/HOSTIL1/Guns/P1000792.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2009, 16:19
Yr welcome to try Berrys or Montana Gold or one of the other commonly touted plated bullets.
- shu

http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/
https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

We started our company as BDX Mfg. as a small family operation in 1974. At that time, we did custom reloading. We ran that until 1985 when we sold the reloading portion and went into the bullet manufacturing specialty. We specialized in lead swaged bullets and worked on making a full line of small pistol lead bullets. Things changed and we started manufacturing copper jacketed bullets in 1991. We reorganized and renamed the business Montana Gold Bullet Incorporated. The jacketed bullets have been very popular with past and new customers alike. The CMJ (complete metal jacket) is the newest item in the market from our line. We deal mostly on the wholesale level. We do not have a retail store. We do have pickup orders. Call ahead for packaging, etc.
We want to thank all of our customers for their business.

There proper SIG bullets are less expensive then the same weight 9mm. Go Figure.

leeward419
03-27-2010, 08:08
Anyone use blue dot with the plated bullets? if so what are you using for min/max loads, Im using 9.2 to 9.7 blue dot

fredj338
03-28-2010, 00:11
Have tried a number of truncated cone plated bullets - including the Hordady 121gr HAP - but not found any to work. Most were too long in the nose. In order to make the SAAMI max overall cartridge length (and have the finished cartridges fit in the magazine) I had to seat them off the cylindrical part and on the cone. Not sufficient grip to prevent bullet set-back.
Your problem is trying to laod to SAAMI max! TCFP work fine in 9mm, jus thave to load them shorter, no big deal, adjsut powder charges accordingly.
There maybe, but you are tampering with fire. Get proper sig bullets, and proper 9mm bullets
SOrry dudley, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Anyone use blue dot with the plated bullets? if so what are you using for min/max loads, Im using 9.2 to 9.7 blue dot
I topped out @ 9.8gr under a 124gr Berry's FP for 1300fps in my P239. Accuracy was only so-so though.