small hands, which handgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : small hands, which handgun?

ktmracetec
01-13-2009, 07:27
my wife has small hands. we have a glock 19 and 26. i never have a problem but my wife has problems with stove pipes and failure to feed during shooting. after a closer look i can see she cannot reach the trigger while holding the glocks correctly. any suggestions, recoil is a concern. this will be concealed carry weapon for her. she has a keltec p3at but after 50 or so rounds she has trouble with her hand hurting (it pounds my hand even with hogue grips with small rubber pads). when she has the glock in the web of her hand, her finger tip just barely touches the side of the trigger. the only way she can reach the trigger is move the backstrap of the glock grip to the first joint of her thumb. so basically her thumb is taking all the recoil because the backstrap is NOT in the palm of her hand. she probably averages 100-200 rounds a month at the range for the last 2 years. she is a good shooter but i feel that because of her small hands she needs a gun that will go BANG everytime she pulls the trigger.

Mrs. Tink
01-13-2009, 09:08
Are you looking for recommendations for a new gun? I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm. It is small but not so small that the recoil is excessive; it comes with three mags that hold 6, 7 or 8 rounds, and the mag size changes the grip length. The six-round mag does not extend past the end of the grip, whereas the eight-round mag creates room for another finger, say a pinky (which I need but it sounds as though your wife does not). I do like the 26 but find it to be a little bit stumpy and harder to conceal in the summer months.

robstar
01-13-2009, 09:32
You might take a look at the S&W M&P 9mm Compact for her; it has changeable backstraps included and overall is slightly more ergonomic than the G19 for smaller hands. Surely someone will disagree with that statement but if the G19 is not working you need to look elsewhere.

My wife is petite and has no problem with the M&P 9c or the M&P .40. She is however very fit and is one of the top 45+ age group female mountain bike racers in the US so the mountain biking gives her good arm and wrist strength with regards to issues with "limp wristing". Regardless, she's still small and has small hands.

I'll ad this too; her primary CCW is a tiny Ruger LCP .380 and she loves the size, thus she carries it most often. She does NOT like the recoil of it though and neither do I... nasty but it works.

April
01-13-2009, 11:23
The best thing would be to take her to a shop that carries enough of an inventory for her to handle several different pistols.

A Glock not working for her isn't the end of the world. There are lots and lots of other options. Walther, S&W, Kahr, Kel-Tec and Ruger all make quality small pistols. My biggest suggestion would be that once she finds a pistol that's comfortable to hold, that she practice until she's comfortable shooting it as well. Carrying a pistol can provide a great sense of security but it's a weighty accessory if its use isn't completely second nature.

Lynn D
01-13-2009, 14:11
Walther, S&W, Kahr, Kel-Tec and Ruger all make quality small pistols. My biggest suggestion would be that once she finds a pistol that's comfortable to hold, that she practice until she's comfortable shooting it as well.

April said it very well....It is all about "trying on". Just like shoes. The gun has to fit her hand and her needs. It might take a while.

I love my Glock, but it's too big for daily carry. I have a Kahr and I also have a Taurus revolver (similar in size to S&W "J" frame). Both fit me well. The other consideration might be a 1911. Sounds crazy, but since most have single stack magazines, it might just be a good fit.

Best of luck to you both in your shopping!

Kendall13
01-13-2009, 21:27
The Walther PPS, if it carries anything from the Walther P99 is sweeeeet! It is thinner than a Glock 26 too. It is very accurate and I swear, the magazine release is the best on Walther handguns. Using your pointer finger, you can keep your gun on target as you reload. Opening up my Walther P99 is like seeing the inards of a fine watch, such is Walther's engineering. You might want to check it out. I recommend a small gun in 9mm for a smaller framed woman. Though heavier weighted, women seem to like the Sig P239 and P232 as well. Might want to try the Walther PPK's for that matter.

I left the usual Glock 26, HK P2000SK, Springfield XD9 Subcompact, S&W M&P9c, etc... out because I am assuming that she has really small hands that would prefer a slimer grip. But if those hands aren't too small, she might want to consider them all too.

ubimow
01-14-2009, 04:19
I am a woman with fairly small hands. I have carried Glocks for a long time and have always been uncomfortable with how thick the grips are. Last month I bought a S&W M&P Compact 9mm and have fallen in love!!! The grips feel a lot thinner than Glocks and it holds 12 rounds!!! SWEET GUN!!!

Douglas in CT
01-14-2009, 04:51
When women with small hands (and usually small frame) who cannot grip Glocks ask me this question with regards to "carry", I give them a choice of three handguns, in 9mm, to check out first:
- Kahr MK9 Elite*
- Smith & Wesson M&P Compact**
- Walther PPS**

Notes:
* Just as much fun to shoot as my G26. :)
- Yes, it is heavier than the PM9, but it is more fun to shoot. (Thing long term & range time).

** Has the ability to change the size of the Backstrap for differing hand sizes.

Hope this helps.

:wavey:

Jav21
01-14-2009, 10:46
I have small hands and my glock does not stovepipe and this has nothing to do with trigger reach. Your wife is limp wristing.

Go to waltherforums.net and read about the PPS issues with the backstrap safety and specifically to learn why this feature has various problems with it and how to prevent them.

Recoil is a concern? Its a gun! The only solution to this is to go with smaller rounds like .380acp which is stigmatized as a sub-par defense round (9mm is the min) or get a compensated gun like a G19c (which c models have their own debates for ccw). The small .380 pocket guns tend to have long, hard trigger pulls which makes them hard to shoot even though you get good trigger reach.

Don't think getting a smaller gun makes it easier to shoot rapidly... it gets harder which is why competitive shooters all go with the max allowed for a division. I am not suggesting she needs a rce gun for ccw. I have to say though that a 1911 with short trigger face and thin grips on it will be good as its a single stack and there are many versions in .45acp available now and even in 9mm like the edit - springfield emp.

jmb79
01-14-2009, 16:40
My is petite at 5' 100 lbs and has small hands. She has had good luck with a Kahr T9, a Smith & Wesson M&P with the small backstrap installed and, most recently, a Springfield EMP in 9mm. The EMP has a very small grip circumferance due to its scaled down size and thin stocks. Its grip circuferance is just over 1/4" less than the M&P with small backstrap.

lilc
01-14-2009, 16:55
If you don't mind going subcaliber, a Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 is a very mighty mouse gun! My girl has small hands and shoots her Tomcat like a champ...

allcd88
01-14-2009, 22:08
My wife had exactly the same problem with Glocks. After trying Kahr(couldn't rack the slide easily), S&W(too snappy), She bought a Walther PPS. She could rack the slide, it fit her small hands, and the recoil is controllable. After my mother shot it, she also bought on for CCW and loves it.

Pictures of the PPS VS. My G27 in this thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968746

EMPwoman
01-15-2009, 18:59
From personal experience, the Glock 26 and the Springfield XD are great guns to shoot--not to carry. I have a very hard time trying to conceal either one. The butt of the gun seems to show no matter how loose the shirt I have on.

I think FF Wife has the right idea. Take your wife out and let HER tell you what she likes and what feels the best to her, not what she should like. God love him, my husband tried for almost two years to ease me toward guns he thought I should like. Then last year, while we were at the NRA Convention, I just walked around and fondled all of the guns I could get my hands on. And for me, the Springfield 9mm EMP fit the best. It's the right size, I can hide it pretty easily, and it has a great trigger pull. However, in the last several months I have found that not every gun is perfect, so I now have a S&W 442 that I carry on my ankle as well.

GratefulDeb
01-15-2009, 20:44
As a woman, I love my EMP 9. It is absolutely awesome and comfortable to shoot. I just recently purchased an HK p30L, but also shot the m & p 9 before making the HK choice.

Try the m and p compact, and also the springfield xd compact 9 as well. Advantage of the m and p is the changeable backstraps.

The HK also allows for the side pieces of the handle to be switched out. The p30 is a great gun. Also, great to shoot.

Hope that helps.

community
01-16-2009, 13:41
you have to go to a gun shop and try them for the fit. My wife has a Springfield xd 9mm sub compact and loves it.

thirdgen17
01-16-2009, 13:49
My girlfriend was also looking for a CCW. My Glock and Sig 229's grips are both too large. We were looking at the Sig 239 and she liked the M&P 9mm with the changeable grips. Has anyone had any experience with the plastic trigger on the M&P? They don't look very durable to me.

ArodJohns
01-16-2009, 13:58
April said it very well....It is all about "trying on". Just like shoes. The gun has to fit her hand and her needs. It might take a while.

I love my Glock, but it's too big for daily carry. I have a Kahr and I also have a Taurus revolver (similar in size to S&W "J" frame). Both fit me well. The other consideration might be a 1911. Sounds crazy, but since most have single stack magazines, it might just be a good fit.

Best of luck to you both in your shopping!

I was going to suggest a 1911 variant (probably in 9mm) as well. :wavey:

Dismas 3073
01-18-2009, 12:36
I would say take a look at the following KAHR Models: PM9. PM40, MK9, and MK40. Also look at the Beretta Storm Semi in 9mm or .40 caliber these are all fine options for small to medium hands. Sigs are phenomenal firearms, I own 2 of them, the Sig P225 and P226 both in 9 mm. Easy to control, nice fit, easy to carry concealed, and 100% reliable! I also own the KAHR PM9 and the MK40 which I'd classify as equally reliable. Personally, I do not like the Kel-Tec Line only because they are thinnly made and not the type of firearm that you'd be able to take to the range to put it through it's paces as you would with other firearms. It's not as sturdy or as accurate as those I've named. I would also recommend the GLOCK 23C I carry this model as it lighter than my regular duty arms and 100% reliable. Maintenance is easy in all these models, which is a big plus! Berettta 92D and Sig P226. The newer GLOCK 36 Slim Line in .45 caliber my suit your grip. In any event take your time in selecting your firearm so that you will carry it daily rather than keeping it stored in a locked box or a safe will it will be of no use to you. Please let me know what you've decided upon. Godd Luck! Stay Safe! Dismas 3073

cnutco
01-18-2009, 18:50
+1 kahr!

southernreign
01-25-2009, 18:53
From personal experience, the Glock 26 and the Springfield XD are great guns to shoot--not to carry. I have a very hard time trying to conceal either one. The butt of the gun seems to show no matter how loose the shirt I have on.

I think FF Wife has the right idea. Take your wife out and let HER tell you what she likes and what feels the best to her, not what she should like. God love him, my husband tried for almost two years to ease me toward guns he thought I should like. Then last year, while we were at the NRA Convention, I just walked around and fondled all of the guns I could get my hands on. And for me, the Springfield 9mm EMP fit the best. It's the right size, I can hide it pretty easily, and it has a great trigger pull. However, in the last several months I have found that not every gun is perfect, so I now have a S&W 442 that I carry on my ankle as well.

+1 for the Springfield XD or EMP... My daughter shot a XD9 with no problems. She has VERY little hands... gripped it fine. Controlled it great too.

DonGlock26
01-30-2009, 17:38
My girlfriend was also looking for a CCW. My Glock and Sig 229's grips are both too large. We were looking at the Sig 239 and she liked the M&P 9mm with the changeable grips. Has anyone had any experience with the plastic trigger on the M&P? They don't look very durable to me.

I have an M&P9 and it's been great. They have been tested and are being issued to more and more Police Dept.s. The triggers have not been a problem.

simmy952
01-31-2009, 05:13
I have a Glock 27 and a M&P .40. I like both guns. The M&P is nicer to handle. I use the small insert. The 27 is a little easier to conceal but right now I mostly carry the M&P.

I tried a Glock 36. They narrowed the frame but they still are a little long in the grip for me.

copsgirl
02-08-2009, 09:28
I am a woman with fairly small hands. I have carried Glocks for a long time and have always been uncomfortable with how thick the grips are. Last month I bought a S&W M&P Compact 9mm and have fallen in love!!! The grips feel a lot thinner than Glocks and it holds 12 rounds!!! SWEET GUN!!!

I'll have to check that out. Sounds like a nice one.