just a thought [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : just a thought

xiph0s
01-13-2009, 11:45
I was doing a little reviewing of NC concealed handgun law after a discussion with a fellow CHL holder. In re-reading the law I noticed some irony that i didnt notice the first time around.

You may not, with or without a permit, carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or while alcohol or any substance, controlled or otherwise is in your blood unless the substance was obtained legally and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

So according to the law it is illegal to carry concealed or otherwise when there is any alcohol in your blood stream, yet, it is perfectly legal to operate a car with a BAC of up to 0.08. Statistically speaking, cars (driven by an individual) kill more people each year than handguns do.

NC Bullseye
01-13-2009, 12:41
I was doing a little reviewing of NC concealed handgun law after a discussion with a fellow CHL holder. In re-reading the law I noticed some irony that i didnt notice the first time around.

So according to the law it is illegal to carry concealed or otherwise when there is any alcohol in your blood stream, yet, it is perfectly legal to operate a car with a BAC of up to 0.08. Statistically speaking, cars (driven by an individual) kill more people each year than handguns do.

First, the law pertains to concealed carry not carrying "otherwise" (read open carry).

Second, when everyone that turns legal age obtains a handgun, takes the training, goes through the permitting process, and then "practices" concealed carry nearly everyday then you can compare the two. Since most everyone obtains a drivers license when they are of age and then proceed to drive most days (practice) that makes a difference. Then one or two things may happen. The BAC for concealed carry may go to .08 and or the number of deaths relating from both may become equal.

I'm a firm supporter of changing the NC law on carry in places that serve alcohol for consumption on site. I also believe that the 0% alcohol while carrying is a good thing. There is the primary difference between concealed carry and driving is that when you bring your firearm into use it's purpose it to be deadly. Hopefully your car is being used for other purposes (unless it's called for that is).

This isn't a slam in any way, just passing on the "point / counter-point) to your observation. :)

xiph0s
01-13-2009, 13:09
First, the law pertains to concealed carry not carrying "otherwise" (read open carry).

Second, when everyone that turns legal age obtains a handgun, takes the training, goes through the permitting process, and then "practices" concealed carry nearly everyday then you can compare the two. Since most everyone obtains a drivers license when they are of age and then proceed to drive most days (practice) that makes a difference. Then one or two things may happen. The BAC for concealed carry may go to .08 and or the number of deaths relating from both may become equal.

I'm a firm supporter of changing the NC law on carry in places that serve alcohol for consumption on site. I also believe that the 0% alcohol while carrying is a good thing. There is the primary difference between concealed carry and driving is that when you bring your firearm into use it's purpose it to be deadly. Hopefully your car is being used for other purposes (unless it's called for that is).

This isn't a slam in any way, just passing on the "point / counter-point) to your observation. :)

i know its not a slam and i enjoy discussing NC laws like this.

I totally agree on the 0% alcohol while carrying. I have seen far too many people get violent and make otherwise non-lethal objects become potentially lethal while imbibing copious amounts of alcohol.

going forward with your "practice" example wouldn't there be less car related deaths (in general) if the daily practice is in fact that much higher and more common than practice with a handgun?

in my original post i wasn't referring to the law in its relation to 0% alcohol and carry. I was talking about deaths in car wrecks when there is no alcohol involved and then adding in the fact that you can legally operate a car with alcohol in your system. Which would only make that statistic go up, i would imagine.

More along the lines of, "if you can drive while you've been drinking (up to a point), then by using the same logic, you should be able to carry while you've been drinking (up to the same point)"

of course, i don't endorse it. when it comes to carry or drink, i carry.

NC Bullseye
01-13-2009, 22:19
going forward with your "practice" example wouldn't there be less car related deaths (in general) if the daily practice is in fact that much higher and more common than practice with a handgun?

If you ever get a chance to watch the drivers ed course at a high school that still offers it, you'd know beyond a shadow of a doubt that without the daily practice that most drivers get there'd not be a living soul left to carry on the debate! :rofl:

in my original post i wasn't referring to the law in its relation to 0% alcohol and carry. I was talking about deaths in car wrecks when there is no alcohol involved and then adding in the fact that you can legally operate a car with alcohol in your system. Which would only make that statistic go up, i would imagine.

More along the lines of, "if you can drive while you've been drinking (up to a point), then by using the same logic, you should be able to carry while you've been drinking (up to the same point)"

of course, i don't endorse it. when it comes to carry or drink, i carry.

There are states that have a limit other than 0%. I think I'll just join ya in the abstaining while carrying. I've heard people say that they are in no way impaired with a few drinks. Guess I'll just be happy to know that I'm not one of them.

southernreign
01-13-2009, 23:38

Actually, there are reasons why you may have 'Alcohol' in your system, say you took a dose of NYQUIL; it has a 'good' amount of alchol in it; but, by the law, if you take it as prescribed via the directions, you still are protected by the law, and still can conceal carry.

-SR

Short Bus
01-13-2009, 23:54
Actually, there are reasons why you may have 'Alcohol' in your system, say you took a dose of NYQUIL; it has a 'good' amount of alchol in it; but, by the law, if you take it as prescribed via the directions, you still are protected by the law, and still can conceal carry.

-SR

This is true, another question. If you are an alcoholic, and you stopped drinking and you have DTs. You may need to take a drink to stop the DTs so that you could shoot straight. Does that count as therapeutic :supergrin: