Input from Virginian's please... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Input from Virginian's please...

MikeD71
01-13-2009, 16:03
Been in Miami almost 11 years. Wife is from a small town near Danville. If the situation/economy continues to deteriorate, I may end having to relocate to that area. My wife, naturally, can tell me the basics, but I'm wondering about what she can't tell me. Politics, local economy, cost of living has to be lower than here...is it drastic? Heard there is some pending gun legislation there that I've not heard for here. Any truth to it? And, of course, TAXES. There is no personal income taxes in Florida. Are you being pummeled in taxes?? I don't need another big tax liability.
Thanks in advance...

Wolfgang
01-13-2009, 19:12
I'm in Danville.

Tobacco is mostly gone.

Dan River Mills is gone: no more textiles.

Some new business have come and gone. Boscovs, and Value City closed, Goodys is closing, . Home Depot is struggling, Target is having a hard time, both opened in '08.

Danville has about 43,000 people down from about 55,000 in 1990 after an annexation that increased 10,000 or so.

5.75% state income tax, sales taxes, 10% food tax. Real estate and personal property taxes are reasonably low. Average age in Danville is probably 45, about 35% white.

I live just outside Danville about 7 miles. Moved here in 1988 after being in Danville 15 years. Work in Danville.

Small town near Danville??? I thought Danville was a small town.

Come on up---we need ya!

MikeD71
01-14-2009, 08:46
Hey Wolfgang! Yeah, wife is from Gretna. We met in '87, while attending Hargrave. She still has family there, and if things get too bad, I'll have to retreat to your neck of the woods. Not crazy about all the extra tax there. No state income or food tax here...but we come up for Thanksgiving and Easter, and I just love it. Of course, I know we're leaving too. Kinda sick of Miami, and the people there are really friendly. At Thanksgiving, I stopped at the Shell in Gretna and must have been said "hello" to 5 times! That's a hoot. But, still really worry about work there. Aside from 14 years in the Army, I've been with the same company here handling logistics for almost 11. Not much of a resume...and a $160/wk child support obligation. If I don't meet it, I'm screwed. Are they more understanding about things like that there?

Wolfgang
01-14-2009, 14:25
With Gretna being as close to Lynchburg as it is, there may be possibilities there. Even Roanoke, but you have a pretty good drive, but in Miama you may already be used to a 45 min-hr drive. You should be able to find a nice home in that area for a very decent price.

In Lynchburg there is Babcock Wilcox, with lots of top secret stuff. They attract policemen from here to provide security.

Hope it all works out for you.

MikeD71
01-14-2009, 15:46
Thank you!