Walmart Ammunition Availability [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Ammunition Availability

jdcaples
01-18-2009, 18:32
This morning I was in the Walmart in Lynnwood, WA (practically in Mill Creek/Everett) on I5 and 164th St SW.

They had no 9mm Winchester White Box on the shelves. I've never seen this before, the shelves being so empty of handgun caliber ammunition.

The sales clerk indicated they over due by a month for a shipment.

I searched with google and on glocktalk, but it doesn't seem like an "epidemic."

Is anyone else seeing the same shortage in the Pacific Northwest, outside of the I5 area around Seattle?

Kendall13
01-18-2009, 20:19
I haven't bought from Wal-Mart for some time. Hardly have time to make it to the range as of late with work and all. I hope there isn't a shortage of ammo.

itstime
01-18-2009, 20:25
If they ever have any ammo anyway around me there is nobody around to sell it to me out of the case.

Boyd
01-19-2009, 11:10
ammo prices have been increasing steadily for almost a year, the stories I've heard center around lead used by industrial growth in china / asia and bullet production being used up in iraq and afghanistan.

More recently Carolyn Mc(boo)Carthy has re introduced a bill for serialization nationally this time. This is the perennial and multi state brain child of a loser in Auburn who made money "innovating" those little bump things that keep skaters unhappy. (Seriously, guy got rich selling little steel bumps and is now inflicting laser engraving on the world as the next big "solution" to your freedom.) Anybody remember losers name? I can't find my notes from his run 3-4 years ago here in Olympia.

Anywho, demand for guns is through the roof and so is demand for ammunition, given the political state we've allowed ourselves to fall into. I've been seeing more and more people at WAC shows buying in "hand truck" quantities. In a sane world this would be a cycle I could live through by looking forward to the down swing. Instead I'm thinking about a run up to Kesselrings with a credit card. -Boyd

doug piston
01-20-2009, 08:20
i called the same walmart testerday morning to see if the had ammo, they told me know and that the ss wally world on 99 in everett has none either. i called big 5 in everett they said they had some im goin to check it out today and post back

doug piston
01-20-2009, 18:13
big 5 had remmington but no WWB

jdcaples
01-20-2009, 18:28
big 5 had remmington but no WWB

Thanks, Doug. I haven't had time during (retail) business hours to call around.

I'll see about contacting Winchester....

lilc
01-20-2009, 19:06
This morning I was in the Walmart in Lynnwood, WA (practically in Mill Creek/Everett)...They had no 9mm Winchester White Box on the shelves. I've never seen this before, the shelves being so empty of handgun caliber ammunition...Is anyone else seeing the same shortage in the Pacific Northwest, outside of the I5 area around Seattle?The three Wal-Marts nearest me (out on the Peninsula across the Sound, as far as 45 miles away from where I live) have been almost completely out of 9mm, .40, and .45 for weeks.

My local store had some .40 this morning, but this afternoon they were cleaned out again. At least this time, it's because of me... :supergrin:

Kendall13
01-20-2009, 20:12
I checked Wal-Mart Auburn - 1 box of 100 .40 S&W left

Wal-Mart Federal Way - Nothing left

Eeeek. What's the point of having a gun with no ammo? I better not shoot mine off. I might have to wait on my IDPA hopes. =S

Yeah, yeah I know gun stores have ammo, but it would sure be nice to keep things cheaper. I miss buying boxes of WWB at Wal-Mart now.

jdcaples
01-20-2009, 21:16
I found this article, dated 19 Jan 2009

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2167431/posts

and

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9621416&nav=5kZQ

(Abany, Georgia (USA))
From the above article

..." Colson says they're paying more in freight charges to buy from several different to keep enough supply for their customers. He doesn't foresee a more plentiful stock until March. "

I won't be "stocking up," but I'll probably shoot less between now and until the local supplies reappear.

I'm still going to call Winchester customer service in the morning.

Thanks for posting, everyone. I appreciate the info and confirmation.

30brandon
01-20-2009, 23:36
So is Walmart cheaper? Why not order off the web or go to your local gun store? They always have ammo. Where is the cheapest local place to buy ammo?

jdcaples
01-21-2009, 09:38
30Brandon,

I find Walmart to be a bit cheaper than most gun stores. My girlfriend and I aren't home enough to accept ammunition deliveries from an online vendor and - living in Seattle - I'm reluctant to have it delivered to my office. That's why I don't buy ammo on line. That's why I buy it at Walmart.

I called Winchester this morning.

It took some dexterity and some patience to navigate the phone menu.

I spoke with a woman named Maggie.

I informed her that I couldn't find any 9mm WWB.

She asked me for some product specifics: Grain, FMJ etc...

I answer: 9mm luger 115 gr fmj.

Maggie understood the nomencleature and told me that they are currently "stocked out."

I asked if that meant there were no raw materials or if they simply don't have any to ship. She said they don't have any ready to ship.

I asked why.

She said they are honoring military contracts.

I asked if that meant all production resources - machinery, warehouse space, shipping containers, raw materials etc were dedicated to making combat rounds and the tooling for civilian products is on the side or "sitting idle."

She confirmed that is "probably true." I figure she doesn't work on the assembly line. She answers phones. My company's customer service reps don't know what I do, so I wouldn't expect Maggie to know the logistics of manufacturing ammo.... anyway...

I asked when production might begin again. She said, "perhaps next week."

I thanked her for her time and wished her a wonderful day.

I'll let readers take this for what its worth and discuss opinions about the information. For now I'm taking it at face value and I'll probably buy some reloads from a friend and keep shooting for a few more weeks.

doug piston
01-21-2009, 14:12
thanks for the updates... whats funny is winchester sent me a coupon for 20$ off cause one of there bullets didnt have a primer... got it yesterday expires mid march... guess i wont be able to use it

jdcaples
01-21-2009, 20:56
No problem, Doug. I'm happy to contribute.

I would ask that any readers report WWB on the shelves of Walmart when its sighted. I'll do the same. For now, at least for my part, I'm going to leave Winchester and Walmart employees alone, let them do their jobs and not bother them about circumstances over which they've no direct control.

For what its worth, I realize that this might be a ruse or a clandesine reaction to politics or willful plan of gain/market manipulation, but I don't know that for a fact.

I'm taking it at face value: I'm fine with the idea that Winchester is dedicating all resources to provide the tools required to keep our military well-supplied.

I don't care about conjecture to the contrary. Without some trust in what we're told by companies with which we do business, the world becomes a very dark place.

The bottom line: I have faith in Americans' ability to defend ourselves at home and to find the means necessary to do so if conventional suppliers like Walmart - do temporarily or even ultimately - fail us.

Ammunition will be made widely available again by someone, if worst comes to the unthinkable worst.

kidicarus13
01-21-2009, 21:11
The two most helpful, sincere consecutive posts I've read in years on GT... thanks jdcaples :wavey:

30brandon
01-21-2009, 23:27
So how much are they asking per box?

Has anyone here purchased a pallet or several cases? I would be happy to split up a big order like that with someone else. I prefer .45.

doug piston
01-22-2009, 06:12
if you go on to winchester site and use the store locator, there is a company called adventure sports in lynnwood. i called them yesterday they said they had some. i havent checked this out yet but ill be there monday and get back....off point but jd where do live at? you seem close to me

jdcaples
01-22-2009, 08:25
I appreciate the compliment, kidicarus13.

Doug, I own a home in Seattle; I live in the Greenlake neighborhood.

I'd welcome a PM - I think my Glocktalk user settings are enabled for private messages - and am open to meeting somewhere if you're of a mind to do so.

Most of my time's spent trying to make myself valuable to my employer, but that's not a 24x7 adventure in anxiety :) I do travel for the company occasionally (perhaps more so in the near future), but I'm in town for the foreseeable future.

doug piston
01-22-2009, 20:51
I appreciate the compliment, kidicarus13.

Doug, I own a home in Seattle; I live in the Greenlake neighborhood.

I'd welcome a PM - I think my Glocktalk user settings are enabled for private messages - and am open to meeting somewhere if you're of a mind to do so.

Most of my time's spent trying to make myself valuable to my employer, but that's not a 24x7 adventure in anxiety :) I do travel for the company occasionally (perhaps more so in the near future), but I'm in town for the foreseeable future.
might be a good idea.. my work allows me alot of free time so i go target shooting about once a week. always up for more as im still new and tryin to get better accuracy

raduck
02-10-2009, 23:15
I visited 2 wal-marts yesterday to look for 45 ammo (only because the forums keep talking about them being cheap) The first one I couldn't get anyone to the counter for over 15 minutes and then it was a young irritated person that said "what do you want", with a frown. They had no 45 ammo at all. The other store: had some one finally come to the counter and when I said I needed 45 acp ammo she said that she didn't have any; only had 45 metal jacket ...ok, she didn't know what that meant, but ...it was 28 bucks for box of 50 though...too much

I can get good ammo at my local store for less than 20 bucks, but they haven't seen bulk in a while...perhaps wartime is affecting the supply? I do know that the local wal-marts do not have qualified people on staff to deal their goods!

Wal-mart is where americans buy their cheap plastic crap, it is not a good gun shop. Pay the extry half a buck a box (if it is that) to support your local shop if you can.

Boyd
02-11-2009, 08:53
snip
I can get good ammo at my local store for less than 20 bucks, but they haven't seen bulk in a while...perhaps wartime is affecting the supply? I do know that the local wal-marts do not have qualified people on staff to deal their goods!

Wal-mart is where americans buy their cheap plastic crap, it is not a good gun shop. Pay the extry half a buck a box (if it is that) to support your local shop if you can.
Hear hear. Gun shops typically make 5% or less on guns (at least I knew this to be true in Washington about 4 years ago). If we stop buying cleaning supplies and ammo from them there will be fewer and fewer gun shops and more and more places with accessories and frustrated teens but no guns. -Boyd

ccrobbins
02-11-2009, 09:19
I visited 2 wal-marts yesterday to look for 45 ammo (only because the forums keep talking about them being cheap) The first one I couldn't get anyone to the counter for over 15 minutes and then it was a young irritated person that said "what do you want", with a frown. They had no 45 ammo at all. The other store: had some one finally come to the counter and when I said I needed 45 acp ammo she said that she didn't have any; only had 45 metal jacket ...ok, she didn't know what that meant, but ...it was 28 bucks for box of 50 though...too much

Not sure where you shop but where I live it's not half a buck....WWB at wally was 22.50 per 100 and the LGS was 35.00. Sorry but Walmart wins everytime. I will feel bad about myself if you can honestly say you would pay the $35........

jdcaples
02-12-2009, 19:26
I was at the WalMart on Evergreen in Everett today. That store had lots (more than 15 boxes of 100 rounds) of WWB 9mm and were supposed to get 100 boxes (if I recall correctly) of WWB in .45 ACP with this evening's delivery. I picked up 40 rounds of 7.62mmX39mm for my CZ VZ58.

I've been getting defensive rounds at local "mom-n-pop" shops lately.

The closest small-operation (decades old in Greenlake) can't get 7.62mmx39mm.... back ordered according to their supplier. I hope the manufacturers aren't squeezing out the little guys.

raduck
02-12-2009, 23:47
Not sure where you shop but where I live it's not half a buck....WWB at wally was 22.50 per 100 and the LGS was 35.00. Sorry but Walmart wins everytime. I will feel bad about myself if you can honestly say you would pay the $35........

OK, it's just more money there where you live I guess. I paid 19.99 for 50 rounds of .45 acp fmj 230 grain (regular brass), but not at Wally World, because they were MORE! I completely understand if your shop is priced really high, or your WalMart actually has a person there that you like to talk to. The 2 WM I went to in our town (I didn't go to the third) don't have sporting goods people working the counter!

ICE888
04-08-2009, 16:57
Its really a hit and miss right now. Since I went with a g21, I do have some left over 9mm Blazer Brass that I am looking to sell. PM me directly if interested.

Thanks

Alfred

betyourlife
04-08-2009, 17:11
I hit all the wal marts within a 30 mile radius of me every weekend. Sometimes I find several thousand rounds at one store, sometimes a few hundred between several, and sometimes none.

Today I found 3K rounds at one store.
Not any more...:supergrin:

That is the thing too. Sometimes when I get there someone is ahead of me in line and buys it all. Oh, well, I got there too late.

Today when I bought a few cases the guy told me he had someone come in recently and buy $1,700 worth of ammo. Cleaned them out.

When you see it, you gotta get it. Either that or lose out.

gixxer750
04-08-2009, 17:17
I picked up 5 of the Winchester 100rd value packs at my local WM for 19.97 apiece. I left at least 10 or 15 boxess for others to buy.

VeeDubbinJetta91
04-08-2009, 20:05
I picked up 5 of the Winchester 100rd value packs at my local WM for 19.97 apiece. I left at least 10 or 15 boxess for others to buy.

i want some :crying:i call every wallmart in the surrounding citys every weekend to ask about ammo...they never have any

VeeDubbinJetta91
04-11-2009, 14:47
Walmart in Renton just got a shipment in this morning, i raced down and got a case of CCI Blazer brass for 8 bucks a box they had 2 more cases, i was gonna buy all but figured id leave them for others :)

bisdak
04-12-2009, 17:15
Walmart in Renton just got a shipment in this morning, i raced down and got a case of CCI Blazer brass for 8 bucks a box they had 2 more cases, i was gonna buy all but figured id leave them for others :)

Good for you both to leave something for your fellow shooters. May the Glock be with you.

billyj571
04-23-2009, 14:12
Its a hit or miss. I have 4 boxs of 357 sig wife was being nice and clerk at WM said ya these are 357 mags...sell cheap...