My Ultimate Confession [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Ultimate Confession

Peace Warrior
01-18-2009, 23:12
Why is it when I see hunter's photos of their kills I feel good for the hunters, which is especially true of both kids that go hunting and come back loaded down with game and of those photos showing head shots, but whenever I see photos of a shot fox, regardless of the situation, I feel bad for the fox?

Don't get me wrong, if I had a hen house and a fox was getting into my hen house, I would blast the fox, but even then I think I would feel bad for the fox. NOTE: I will ruin a deer stalk and paste a 'yote if the opportunity arises so it's not the fact I'm a dog lover.

Okay, I'll turn in my man card Monday, or at least tear a corner off of it, but I had to get this "guilt" off my mind about foxes.

noway
01-19-2009, 11:34
maybe in your 1st life you where a fox ;) or did you have a fox as a kid, or did somthing bad to a fox ? How can one answer your original question?

Some people have the same thing for a deer or a cat or a squirrel that hit or killed.

Why do you feel bad for the fox?

You answer that question and this all would be much clearer for you.

Baba Louie
01-19-2009, 15:41
...but I had to get this "guilt" off my mind...So let the "guilt" be gone! :supergrin:

Easy to say, but you'll always have "that respect" for "that animal". No biggie. He's just doing his thing and it's sad that he got nailed. Oh well.

Sometimes you hunt. Sometimes you're the hunted.

Better him than some farmers chickens ($), eh?

Always good to question yourself, I think.

chevy01234
01-23-2009, 22:19
I have a lot of respect for foxes as well. One of the few animals I will not kill unless absolutely necessary, I just don't see a point in killing them in my area (no chicken coops etc). They are such neat little animals to me. It broke my grandparent's hearts when some kids down the road killed the foxes they had on the river bank. The foxes would sun themselves in the yard and would actually come up and look through the windows at you. Very neat little critters. I will go out of my way to kill a coyote or bobcat, just something about foxes.

Nothing "un-manly" at all about liking a specific animal in my opinion. I also wouldn't kill a black bear for sport, just doesn't appeal to me. I am a hardcore outdoors-man as many of my pictures show, I just have a few personal preferences on what I will kill. Black bears and foxes are on my list.

Peace Warrior
01-24-2009, 05:12
Since posting this thread the ONLY thing I can remember is a fox that used to live in a dense patch of woods and scrub on an interstate cloverleaf. Back in the day it was a pretty remote area for the most part. There were plenty of woods and a creek nearby, which I would go to fish/swim a lot, but I would often see the fox coming from or going to that growth inside the loop made by an interstate exit ramp. Must have been that a momma fox had found a pretty decent hiding place for her den.

Only thing I can think of from growing up. Thanks all, I really appreciate the support and that fox from my childhood must be the reason why.

gruntmedik
01-24-2009, 15:19
No shame in feeling that way---it is a way of confirming to yourself that you have a conscience. The only animal I shoot that I don't eat are coyotes.

NSHunter
01-27-2009, 22:49
I don't shoot foxes either. Don't see how I could. I also have respect for bobcats and breaks me when someone traps one but the paw and walks up to it and shoots it... cowardly.

Peace Warrior
01-28-2009, 08:42
I don't shoot foxes either. Don't see how I could. I also have respect for bobcats and breaks me when someone traps one but the paw and walks up to it and shoots it... cowardly.
We agree on the fox thing, but not on the trapping thing. Weird huh?:dunno:

In my younger years I used to travel to hunt and I would often help a hunting camp member trap coons. (I was pretty good at it if I can speak for myself.)

NCGlock23
01-28-2009, 18:27
I feel red foxes are special saw one last nite coming home. But there isnt anything I like about grey ones. Kind of odd.

G36's Rule
01-30-2009, 23:40
I kill any Red Fox I see. They are an introduced species in most of the USA and I don't feel anything special about them.

The Grey Fox though is another story. I consider them a harbinger of good luck. Any time I've seen Grey Fox I've been lucky in my hunts. I don't ever kill them.

Yeah, I'm goofy sometimes.

I have shot a couple bobcats and one mountain lion as well. I would again if given the oppurtunity.

robbcayman
02-01-2009, 22:28
I can relate to where you are coming from. It's weird, because I can shoot a deer in good conscience knowing they are overpopulated and I will eat them. A fox is just a trophy and to take somethings life for a trophy doesn't appeal to me.

With that said, I shot a ram a few weeks back. I was happy at the time, but then I felt bad. I decided not to eat the meat, because I heard it tasted bad. So in a sense, I killed it for its horns, and I won't do that again. I'm not knocking anyone that does, but it just feels wrong to me.

From now on I will only kill an animal for self defense, overpopulation, or food.

Lastly, I hate, and I said hate, trapping. Anyone who can let an animal suffer with a metal trap on its foot is inhumane IMO. Jump on me for sounding like PETA, but I think it's wrong on so many levels. I believe if you're going to kill an animal you must respect it and making it suffer is wrong. Rant is officially over.

Javelin
02-01-2009, 22:31
I like all the little animals and so I leave them alone.

:)

n0vember
02-06-2009, 21:49
A fox is just a trophy

I beg to differ.

I shoot foxes to prevent diseases from spreading, i.e. rabies, scabies etc.
I shoot foxes to regulate their population and to help pheasants, partridges, hare etc. bring up some of their little ones.
I shoot foxes to use the pelt.

1glock
02-07-2009, 23:16
When I was growing up my parents allowed me to go hunting on my own with the 410 shotgun or the 22lr rifle on our property when I turned 12 y/o but my father gave me one rule about hunting... I had to eat everything I harvested. I still follow that rule and my kids will have to follow the same rule when they are old enough to hunt on their own.

robbcayman
02-08-2009, 14:32
I beg to differ.

I shoot foxes to prevent diseases from spreading, i.e. rabies, scabies etc.
I shoot foxes to regulate their population and to help pheasants, partridges, hare etc. bring up some of their little ones.
I shoot foxes to use the pelt.

Read my whole post. If you are shooting something for overpopulation issues, using the animal in a way etc... I see nothing wrong with it. For me though, we don't have a lot of foxes, so in my neck of the woods to shoot a fox would be for a trophy.

dsmw5142
02-20-2009, 22:18
No shame in feeling that way---it is a way of confirming to yourself that you have a conscience.

Very well said. There are a lot of good responses in this thread.

There is a book called "A Hunter's Heart: Honest Essays on Blood Sports" by David Petersen. It is a collection of short stories (maybe 5-20 pages each) from the perspective of hunters and their families and friends. I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone who picks up a rifle/muzzle loader/bow etc...

It is an honest look at the great privilege and responsibility we have as outdoorsman to preserve what we enjoy for our children and others.

Anyone who doesn't take that seriously is a big part of the problem and a makes themselves a poster child for PETA etc... Just like the nutbag 'gun rights activists' who run around screaming assenine things like "kill em all, let god sort em out!!" hurt all of us decent, hard-working gun owners.

I have been a hunter for 20 yrs and have killed a bunch of different critters, mostly in Florida. But I have always taken killing seriously and didn't pull the trigger or nock an arrow without a purpose.

Hell, I've even killed several dogs and cats... When I had to.

Touchy feely rant over----engaging billy-I don't give a darn and kill anything I see-bubba proof flame suit.