Upgraded from my original plan. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded from my original plan.

Ramjet38
01-19-2009, 19:33
Upgraded from my original plan. My first plan was to purchase the Pentax
K200D. My reasoning to begin with is that I cut my eyeteeth on Pentax back in ‘72 in Vietnam when I purchased an Ashai Pentax Spotmatic. I loved that camera, and I have some very interesting photo’s from it that I will always cherish. I sold that camera upon returning to the states and have had several other Pentax since, from point and shoot to film SLR’s. I have never, ever considered anything but the Pentax line.

Back to my “original plan”. The K200D seemed like a logical choice since I already had a few KA lenses from my film days, but the price of the K20D was not in my future for sure. I started doing a little research and thinking and it led me to the K10D. For one I don’t need the scene modes…my God I cut my teeth on nothing but a light meter why would I need something that had cute little symbols on it?

I was very lucky as there are not many new K10’s available to buy anymore and I think I got a heck of a deal on the body. To me it’s just about the same as its replacement the K20D so why not take a good deal for a great camera.

Here’s a little history of the K10D and why I chose it.

The K10D has won a number of awards from the industry, the first being the TIPA 2007 award for the best "Expert Digital SLR".[13] On August 15, 2007, the K10D was announced as the winner of EISAs “European Camera of the Year 2007-2008” award. [14]
On May 17, Pentax announced that it had won the Japanese Camera Grand Prix 2007.[15] Pentax later announced on June 14 2007, the introduction of a limited edition K10D package in commemoration of winning of the Japanese Camera Grand Prix. The package features a dark brown K10D with gold lettering and a matching battery grip. A large leather camera strap is included with the words "CAMERA GRAND PRIX 2007". [16]
The K10D won American Photo's Editor's Choice 2007 for the Advanced Digital SLR category. (Volume 18, No. 4 July/August) [17]

Yes it’s a couple years behind the most fandangled cameras offered today, but it’s still a great camera.
Thanks for letting me gloat!
:cool:

hwyhobo
01-19-2009, 19:44
I've always had a soft spot for Pentax in my heart. Pentax LX turned my knees into jello. It was beyond my budget, but just handling it was a delight.

Hope you will post some photos soon.

Glkster19
01-21-2009, 18:35
If it takes pictures (good one's are a bonus), it makes you happy and you got a good deal on it then congrats. You don't need to justify anything to us. All the manufacturers build good camera's, Canon's are just gooder than the rest. :tongueout::rofl::tongueout::rofl::tongueout:

MrsKitty
01-21-2009, 19:20
I have a camera made in the 40's that I use sometimes. Who says newer is always better? :supergrin:

Ramjet38
01-21-2009, 19:24
I have a camera made in the 40's that I use sometimes. Who says newer is always better? :supergrin:

Yes I wished I still had my old Ashai. What a fool I was to ever part with it. Believe me this purchase was a BIG upgrade for me. There are better and more expensive, but this purchase made me very happy!!!

MrsKitty
01-21-2009, 19:31
Yes I wished I still had my old Ashai. What a fool I was to ever part with it. Believe me this purchase was a BIG upgrade for me. There are better and more expensive, but this purchase made me very happy!!!

I stumbled across this one at a flea market and paid $5 for it. I bought it doubting it would work but thought it would make a cool bookend. I tinkered with it a second and realized it did work and got a real kick out of playing with it.

Ramjet38
01-21-2009, 19:32
If it takes pictures (good one's are a bonus), it makes you happy and you got a good deal on it then congrats. You don't need to justify anything to us. All the manufacturers build good camera's, Canon's are just gooder than the rest.

I'm no Photog professional for sure and some of my shots really suck, but some are pretty good. At least this camera has given me a little help from my hand shakes to give me a picture that isn't all blurry.

I always heard Cannon is what you got when you bred a Pentax with a Nikon, and Nikon was conceived by breeding a Pentax with a Yashica!

:supergrin:

Ramjet38
01-21-2009, 19:33
I stumbled across this one at a flea market and paid $5 for it. I bought it doubting it would work but thought it would make a cool bookend. I tinkered with it a second and realized it did work and got a real kick out of playing with it.

Wow! Lucky find!

nipperwolf
01-21-2009, 19:34
OOPS!

was trying to start a new thread.

MrsKitty
01-21-2009, 20:37
Wow! Lucky find!

Sorry. I didn't mean that particular, just this old one I got :embarassed:

It's an Argus C3 or the "brick" as it was called. I ran across an Army manual on how to use it at Goodwill or somewhere like that later, too. :supergrin:

Ramjet38
01-21-2009, 20:46
Sorry. I didn't mean that particular, just this old one I got :embarassed:

It's an Argus C3 or the "brick" as it was called. I ran across an Army manual on how to use it at Goodwill or somewhere like that later, too. :supergrin:

Now I know why you thought it would be a good book end.:supergrin: Still a good find for 5 bucks.

MrsKitty
01-21-2009, 20:50
Now I know why you thought it would be a good book end.:supergrin: Still a good find for 5 bucks.

I just need another one for the other side of the stack of books :rofl: