New to site from 757, ?s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to site from 757, ?s

twiggy
01-20-2009, 22:51
Hey i'm new to the site, I was just wondering if anyone here is around my area and how long it took them to get their CCW permit once you turned in the paperwork? I finally got around to taking a class and turned in the paper work almost 2 weeks ago. Just kinda curious

Also is it true once i get my permit, i will no longer have to wait the 30 days between handgun purchases?

Olivers_AR
01-21-2009, 04:48
The county or city has 45 days to grant or deny your permit from application. If they don't issue one or deny you, you can get a temp permit until a decision is completed. If your denied, there is an appeals process in front of a judge. The exact time depends on the county or city and how busy they are, or if they "have mailing delays" to hit the 45 day number.

Yes with a VA Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) aka CCW, one can purchase more than one handgun per month. There also is a multiple handgun form or application on the VA State Police (VSP) website, which is another route if your moving into the state and have multiple handguns that you need to transfer.

There is no 30 day restriction on long guns (rifles and shotguns) at this time.

alien-Glocker
01-21-2009, 04:48
Commonwealth code says the circuit court has to issue you a permit within 45 days from receipt of you paper work. That said it varies by jurisdiction. Here in Fairfax they pretty much run out the clock on the 45 day limit, other locals are more prompt.

Also is it true once i get my permit, i will no longer have to wait the 30 days between handgun purchases?

From the Virginia State Police:

The 1993 Virginia General Assembly amended and reenacted 18.2-308.2:2, Code of Virginia, making it unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than 1 handgun within any 30-day period. The Virginia State Police is responsible for accepting and processing the Multiple Handgun Purchase Application and Multiple Handgun Purchase Certificate, when purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period can be justified.

Item 6-When in possession of a valid Virginia permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm

roadkingcourt
01-21-2009, 05:34
While the law does state the court has 45 days to issue, it all depends on what city in the 757 you live in. Some are a lot faster than others. Chesapeake for example likes to take all the time they are allowed and then some. Best of luck!

Fungunner
01-21-2009, 06:24
What has already been said and WELCOME twiggy, to GT

Nubbins
01-21-2009, 08:20
It took 35 days back in Nov here in Fairfax:wavey:

twiggy
01-21-2009, 10:48
ok thanks guys. I live in williamsburg, hopefully ill get mine soon, i dont see them being as busy as NOVA or norfolk,chesapeake....but who knows

Specks
01-22-2009, 07:52
IIRC, mine came in 3 to 4 weeks. I first got a letter from the sheriff that it was complete, just waiting on the judge to sign. It took about a week and a half to get it after that. Got mine in Williamsburg too. Welcome to the area.

Fungunner
01-22-2009, 09:48
ok thanks guys. I live in williamsburg, hopefully ill get mine soon, i dont see them being as busy as NOVA or norfolk,chesapeake....but who knows

It's not necessarily a NOVA thing. I live in Manassas, very close to Fairfax, but our Clerk of the Court for Prince William County processes applications fairly promptly. Billyburg may work faster than some, slower than others. There are those counties and cities whose politicians would rather not allow CCW, yes, even here in Virginia.

twiggy
01-22-2009, 15:31
IIRC, mine came in 3 to 4 weeks. I first got a letter from the sheriff that it was complete, just waiting on the judge to sign. It took about a week and a half to get it after that. Got mine in Williamsburg too. Welcome to the area.

OK thanks, and i've lived here my whole life.....born and raised!!

Freman Kid
01-26-2009, 16:31
In Chesapeake they are allowed 45 days...I got mine via the mail on day 44.

LoadedTech
03-24-2009, 11:27
Here at the beach I didnt have to give fingerprints and it took about a month. Welcome to 757!

Nicko
03-24-2009, 12:00
Welcome to the Glock Talk forum twiggy. Here in Virginia Beach it only took me three weeks to receive it in the mail.

MavsX
03-25-2009, 05:47
i turned my ccw permit in and the lady said "it will be 45 days"....its been about 25 days now..sooooooo i guess i have more waiting to do...

bustedknee
03-30-2009, 19:33
We moved here in Jan.

I picked mine up today from Wythe County courthouse.

It took 11 days.

Glock Steady
04-09-2009, 12:29
It took 18 days total for me to get mine from Hampton

MavsX
04-09-2009, 15:02
okay, i got mine today. took a total of 39 days. Not bad...Arlington County...

Good Luck man