Transporting Firearms in NJ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Firearms in NJ

malibuexpress44
01-21-2009, 17:47
I read that the firearm and ammo must be in separate containers that are tied in a package or locked in their own case and neither can be transported in the well or glove box. First, is this wrong and second, does that mean that even with a separate ammo box I can't transport my firearm in my range bag?

thanks in advance for the insight!

MyNewGlock23
01-29-2009, 09:11
From www.njguns.com:

"Now the infamous question pops up, "So how does one legally transport a firearm to and from the range?".

N.J.S. 2C:39-6(g)
"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." So keep your firearm unloaded and in a securely tied package and store the ammo separately (i.e.: firearms in a tied box stored in a locked trunk, and ammo in the back seat stored in a closed ammo box). Any additional precautions like adding a trigger lock or lockable gun case or dismantling your firearm is totally voluntary. And remember you are only allowed to deviate in your course of travel as reasonably necessary under the circumstances. In other words, don't pack your firearms in your car on Monday for a trip to the range on Wednesday."

Hope this helps...