Security Forces Info Needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Security Forces Info Needed

furetto7
01-22-2009, 09:42
My experience with the Air Force Security Forces in long out of date so I'm hoping someone with more recent experience like MrMurphy can help me.

Eldest daughters boyfriend, just turned 23, has spoken to a recruiter about joining up for SF. I know that basic just jumped to 8 weeks and 2 days, is the SF tech school still at Lackland or has it moved ? How long is the school now and how hard is it ?

According to the boyfriend, the recruiter told him that he would go in as a E3 if single and an E6 if married, I really believe that he seriously misunderstood what the recruiter was telling him unless things have changed hugely since I got out.

deadday
01-22-2009, 10:00
Shoot Mr Murphy a PM, he is an SF guy....

Bevo1
01-22-2009, 10:29
My experience with the Air Force Security Forces in long out of date so I'm hoping someone with more recent experience like MrMurphy can help me.

Eldest daughters boyfriend, just turned 23, has spoken to a recruiter about joining up for SF. I know that basic just jumped to 8 weeks and 2 days, is the SF tech school still at Lackland or has it moved ? How long is the school now and how hard is it ?

According to the boyfriend, the recruiter told him that he would go in as a E3 if single and an E6 if married, I really believe that he seriously misunderstood what the recruiter was telling him unless things have changed hugely since I got out.
My info is out of date, too (I got out when we were still Security Police), but you will not go in as a Tech Sgt.(E-6). There were some who went in as an Airman 1st Class (E-3) with college, though.

deadday
01-22-2009, 10:43
My info is out of date, too (I got out when we were still Security Police), but you will not go in as a Tech Sgt.(E-6). There were some who went in as an Airman 1st Class (E-3) with college, though.

Aside from being a member of the Band, E4 is the highest enlisted rank one can enter the military as (with no prior service). If you have a bachelors degree, you can enter as an E4, if you have between 60-119 hours of college you can enter as an E3...

C5GreaseMonkey
01-22-2009, 10:55
Theres no way he would be coming in as a e-6, and as for the tech school still being a lackland, i think thats still correct.

Ralff
01-22-2009, 14:22
Be sure to inform him (and her) that cops deploy a LOT.

neverwrongc
01-22-2009, 18:36
I am currently SF and there is no way you can come in as an E-6. E-3 if you sign for 6 years or have enough college credits to qualify for it. Yes basic training did get bumped to 8 weeks and SF training is still at Lackland. I know SF training got bumped up too, but i am not sure how long it is now. When i went threw it was 12 weeks. Training is what you make of it...not that hard unless you make it hard. Hope this has helped, if you have any questions let me know.

neverwrongc
01-22-2009, 18:41
Be sure to inform him (and her) that cops deploy a LOT.

Yes...we deploy more than any other career field in the AF. 6-10 months at a time, with a 6month to 1year dwell time home until the next one. If he gets assigned to Nucs he will not deploy that often. I personally like deploying, feel like i am doing my part as an American. Get to play with all the cools guns and gear when you go too.

meeko
01-22-2009, 19:04
It dosn't matter married or not E3 is the most he can come in as with a 6 year enlistment
I spent 21 plus years both active duty and ANG did both nuc's and conventional. I've been fourtunate to do every job in Security Forces/Security Police. I am in no way discouraging anyone but if he is looking for kicking in door type stuff he might want to look at something else. I don't mean this wrong there are good people there however COMMA the AF "SF" specificlly thinks they are more of all that and a bag of chips than they really are. PM me and I will go into more detail.

C5GreaseMonkey
01-22-2009, 22:13
Hope he likes checking ID's

deadday
01-22-2009, 22:20
It dosn't matter married or not E3 is the most he can come in as with a 6 year enlistment
I spent 21 plus years both active duty and ANG did both nuc's and conventional. I've been fourtunate to do every job in Security Forces/Security Police. I am in no way discouraging anyone but if he is looking for kicking in door type stuff he might want to look at something else. I don't mean this wrong there are good people there however COMMA the AF "SF" specificlly thinks they are more of all that and a bag of chips than they really are. PM me and I will go into more detail.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm glad you said, I didn't wanna...

MrMurphy
01-25-2009, 09:51
If he has some college, E-3 at the end of basic.

If he's dumb he'll go six year just to get the extra stripe. ALL his promotions go slower as a result. Tech school is still at Lackland, 343rd TRS, though there's new dorms, the old Jailhouse is now used by the Navy and some SF troops (temporary guys, usually the back from Bullis crew I think).

Tech school is longer and you spend longer at Bullis (up to 3.5 weeks from 2.5 I believe). More patrolling, convoys, MOUT, etc.

Checking IDs is getting a lot less common now. If you're based overseas yeah, still gotta do it, but stateside guys are deployed pretty much six on, six off in a lot of bases.

If he's getting married, do it before. Less BS with paperwork. I got married during tech school (we were engaged prior to me going in) and it took about 5 months for paperwork and pay to catch up.

If he's going SF intentionally, have him email me for a headsup on BMT, tech and the rest. PM for the address.