Recipes with spicy peppers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recipes with spicy peppers?

Lt.Kubosh
01-22-2009, 10:57
Hi,
I really like the Jalapeņos Rellenos sold in my local restaurant.

So I'd like to discover some other food/salsa recipes based on Jalapenos and similar peppers.
Girls / Guys do you have some simple and medium spicy recipes? Even the dip salsa.

For Texas and Mexico chefs, please be modest :) "OMFG Hot Spicy Salsa" recipe would be interesting, but probably unusable.

Thank you Martin

Glockerel
01-23-2009, 07:53
Easy poppers-
You bake these and they are fabulous!

1 lb. jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded. Remove veins too if you can't take the heat.

Filling:
Combine in bowl

1 block cream cheese, softened
3/4 sup shredded cheddar cheese
5 gr. onions, sliced thinly
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
5 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
bread crumbs
cooking oil spray

Using a butter knife, fill the pepper cavities with enough filling so it just is over opening's height.
Press the filling side into the bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet.
Spray top of filled peppers with cooking spray.
Bake in a preheated 350f oven for about 20 minutes.
The longer you bake them, the softer and milder they are.
I like them still slightly crispy and HOT!

Lt.Kubosh
05-22-2009, 01:54
Hello,
my flat undergone a reconstruction, so I can move back and try this recipe.
I'll let you know, but it sounds good.

And I'm looking for another advise. Yesterday was my first attempt to make my spicy salsa. So do you remove seeds from habanero peppers? I used 2 small habaneros with seeds (smaller than 1") and it is almost uneatable. It tastes perfectly mild, but few seconds later there is KB!... :)

Also how do you get the invisible spiciness from hands. I washed my hands more than six times, I took the brush also, but when I tried to insert my contact lenses this morning, I almost pee down my pants.

gruntmedik
05-22-2009, 08:48
Not sure how much salsa you made, but 2 Habeneros is a bit much, as you found out. :supergrin:

I usually put 2 or 3 in when I make chili, but I make enough for 20 or so servings.

When I cut hot peppers, I wear disposable rubber gloves. Short of that, using Dawn dish soap works pretty good. It removes the oil from your skin pretty good.

Lt.Kubosh
05-22-2009, 12:53
I made about 30 oz. of salsa. (If my conversion tables are right) Those disposable gloves sounds pretty strange, but probably good way.

jtull7
05-22-2009, 14:47
Texas Frito Pie:

Fill a wide, shallow bowl with Fritos Corn Chips. Put a large amount of Tabasco Green Sauce on the Fritos.

Pour Wolf Brand Chili (or any other chili without beans) on now-spicy Fritos. Add a little more Green Sauce to the chili.

Add a lot of shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the top.

Uncork an ice-cold Corona or a Dos Equis.

Go to Texas White-Trash Heaven.

Goldendog Redux
05-22-2009, 14:57
Texas Frito Pie:

Fill a wide, shallow bowl with Fritos Corn Chips. Put a large amount of Tabasco Green Sauce on the Fritos.

Pour Wolf Brand Chili (or any other chili without beans) on now-spicy Fritos. Add a little more Green Sauce to the chili.

Add a lot of shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the top.

Uncork an ice-cold Corona or a Dos Equis.

Go to Texas White-Trash Heaven.

:shocked:

That recipe is an affront to Dos Equis.

Get dried chiles de arbol along with dried Anaheim, ancho, whatever (red big ones) roast them a little on a pan or whatever. Put in pan with salt water add garlic, maybe some Mexican oregano. Simmer for a while.

Let cool, put in blender. This is not an exact science.

Delicious salsa for your carne asada tacos.

Small corn tortilla
Carne asada
onions
cilantro

MF

happy seal
06-16-2009, 17:07
Hello,
my flat undergone a reconstruction, so I can move back and try this recipe.
I'll let you know, but it sounds good.

And I'm looking for another advise. Yesterday was my first attempt to make my spicy salsa. So do you remove seeds from habanero peppers? I used 2 small habaneros with seeds (smaller than 1") and it is almost uneatable. It tastes perfectly mild, but few seconds later there is KB!... :)

Also how do you get the invisible spiciness from hands. I washed my hands more than six times, I took the brush also, but when I tried to insert my contact lenses this morning, I almost pee down my pants.

vinegar, cut out the seeds they are hot

31F20
07-16-2009, 11:04
I like to wrap Jalapenos in bacon and stuff them with cheese. Toss 'em on a low heat grill till the bacon is done. Hold the bacon on with a few tooth picks.
Try it, you'll love it.
I have found that there is quite a bit of variation in the heat of store bought Jalapenos. Its the luck of the draw.
Be advised.

31F20
07-16-2009, 11:07
Happy seal,
Wear latex or nitrile examination gloves whilst cutting/de-seeding hot peppers.
Also,
do not touch eyes or use the restroom afterwards.......i speak from experience...trust me..it ain't fun.