question for the ladies about training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question for the ladies about training

DWP21
01-23-2009, 16:23
I have a question for the ladies about training. I hope this is the right place to post my question and I'm not out of line for posting in here to begin with. If so I am I'm sorry.

My question to you is this. I'm in the process of getting certified to teach my state's concealed carry course and I was wondering if you ladies thought it would be a good idea for me to offer an all female class occasionally? My thinking is it might make for a more comfortable setting for women if it was done that way. Also do you think I should try to find a female instructor or at least a female range officer to work with me in these classes.
My hopes is create a comfortable environment for the ladies and hopefully encourage more of them to become firearms owners, recreational shooters and quite possibly carry for protection if and when the feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I've never seen a female on the range at our local club or at the DNR range so I don't think there are many female shooters in the area.

Mrs.Cicero
01-23-2009, 18:11
If you can fill the class, then sure it's a great idea. A dozen years ago when I started training, I'd sign up for ladies-only classes and they always got cancelled cause there were never enough students. It took awhile, but I got used to being the only woman in most of the courses I've taken. Now it's kind of fun...
:supergrin:

Mrs.C

DWP21
01-23-2009, 19:04
Thank you for your reply. I thought about that same problem. I'm actually thinking about doing the women only classes for free in hopes of getting more women interested in shooting. I'm going to talk to the gun club about giving me the range at no charge for the women only classes so I can do it at no cost. Maybe get some of the local social organizations that cater to women let me speak to them or put up a flyer at their place of meeting.

PilotKitten
01-23-2009, 19:26
For me personally, I wouldn't mind being in a mostly/all male class. It's easier for me to talk to men then it is for women... I'm weird like that.

I would actually prefer one-on-one training at the time being. Just getting started with shooting and carrying, I would feel nervous in a group setting until at a more intermediate/advanced level.

DWP21
01-23-2009, 19:34
I'm going to add to this question. I already asked an age question on the training forum so I hope I don't get into trouble for this.

I'm only 26. Do you think this is going to be a problem trying to train women?

I know a lot of people both male and female have a hard time believing that they can learn something from someone who is younger than them. Especially is the age gap is a big one.

Girl With A Glock
01-23-2009, 19:51
I'm going to add to this question. I already asked an age question on the training forum so I hope I don't get into trouble for this.

I'm only 26. Do you think this is going to be a problem trying to train women?

I know a lot of people both male and female have a hard time believing that they can learn something from someone who is younger than them. Especially is the age gap is a big one.
It depends on your experience.My husband taught me how to shoot and he has been hunting his whole life with his dad and he spent 12 months in Iraq.My husband is a year younger then me but based on his experience I would let him train me even if I didn't know him.What is your experience in this field?

PilotKitten
01-23-2009, 19:54
Speaking for myself, I don't go into things like that with that sort of expectation (that someone younger won't be able to teach me anything). I'm only 26 myself so obviously your age wouldn't bother me.

As long as you're knowledgeable about the subject, can answer most questions and can explain things in a simple way, I wouldn't have a problem with it and I doubt most people would. Acting like you're superior than someone is where most people in a teaching situation get into trouble. Not saying you would do that but I've had those long days at work before where the umpteenth person asks the same stupid question and I have been known to get a little snippy with the answers.

Just be patient and if anyone is put off by your age, prove them wrong by being intelligent and answering everyone's questions thoroughly.

I think in this day, with so many older generations going back to college and being taught classes by 20 year old teaching assistants, it is doing a lot for getting rid of that perception. There are also a lot of older people who admit the younger generations know a whole lot more about computers and other technologies. I think that age gap you think will be a problem will be less of one than you think.

PilotKitten
01-23-2009, 20:03
It depends on your experience.My husband taught me how to shoot and he has been hunting his whole life with his dad and he spent 12 months in Iraq.My husband is a year younger then me but based on his experience I would let him train me even if I didn't know him.What is your experience in this field?

Not to say your husband isn't experienced enough, but personally, years of doing something doesn't make me trust someone (in and of itself). I've seen guys on here who've been posting for 8 years, own dozens of firearms and say stupid things because that was what they themselves were erroneously taught. Just because someone's been doing it for years, doesn't mean they've been doing it right. KWIM?

Again, that's just generally speaking, not a judgment of anyone's abilities and knowledge.

Girl With A Glock
01-23-2009, 20:05
Not to say your husband isn't experienced enough, but personally, years of doing something doesn't make me trust someone (in and of itself). I've seen guys on here who've been posting for 8 years, own dozens of firearms and say stupid things because that was what they themselves were erroneously taught. Just because someone's been doing it for years, doesn't mean they've been doing it right. KWIM?

Again, that's just generally speaking, not a judgment of anyone's abilities and knowledge.
I see your point.

DWP21
01-23-2009, 20:37
You ladies are awesome. Thanks for all the replys.

Girl with a Glock. I've been shooting pistols sense the ripe old age of 6. I didn't spend as much time in Iraq as your husband but I did spend some time there. I also have an NRA Distinguished Expert rating and I compete with. Center fire rifles at ranges out to 1000 yards but that is still fairly new to me.

Thanks again for everything ladies. I really hope this all works out.

MrsKitty
01-24-2009, 17:30
I wouldn't have a problem with you teaching a class because you are younger than me. What I would have a problem with is a condescending and crappy attitude (not that I think you are!). Keep things straightforward yet light enough that the new ladies are comfortable. Many of them will automatically be a little uneasy/nervous with shooting if they have no experience. Be serious but relaxed.

I don't know if you could get enough women together to fill a class but that might not be a bad thing since smaller classes can be better as far as the individual attention each student will get. After a few classes, word of mouth may start filling the classes up. You may just have to ride a few months of slow first.

As for a woman instructor... I personally don't care whether I learn from a man or a woman. I want to learn from somebody who can teach me what I need/want to know.

Good luck!

ER5512
01-25-2009, 13:50
I am a female instructor and co-ed classes are really great as we get a cross section of ideas. It also lets women know their is no such thing as a mans gun or a women gun. Just which model feels the best in the individual hand. Besides the women usually out shoot the men!!!!

Mrs. Tink
01-27-2009, 14:26
For me personally, I wouldn't mind being in a mostly/all male class. It's easier for me to talk to men then it is for women... I'm weird like that.

See, I am this way but my basic pistol class was ladies only. In my class, we women didn't really talk to each other. The instructors talked and we listened. Then we each got some individualized attention at the range.

I had a male instructor and a female range officer.

The class was excellent. I noticed that women generally aren't trying to get a word in edgewise, like men and kids. I took a hunter safety course about 3 years after my basic pistol class, and again the ladies sat and listened while the men and kids tried to outdo each other with stories.

Not to say that all men and/or kids are like that. But I will say--my class was peaceful and I learned a LOT.

SouthernGal
01-28-2009, 09:27
The all-female class that the Olive Branch PD has had twice has filled to capacity every single time they've offered it. That class is not for certification or anything else, but is offered by the OBPD.

JluvsherGlock
02-02-2009, 15:46
well my opinion on the subject might seem a little back and forward. or contradicting....

I took two training classes firearms I and II. I enjoyed both of them. they were a mixture of both males and females. I never had a class with all females. I dont get along with women very well. I dont know how much I would enjoy being in an all female class. I dont feel like I have a lot in common with females. I had a lot more commonalities with males than females when it comes to guns. the eagerness and the willing to do things with guns. They seem a little more informative about guns. I dont know. I had 90% of the class males. I tried to make conversation with females and they were very standoffish but when I talked to the males they just talked and were open to speak. I dont know what it is....both of my instructors were male very informative but very military like when they talked about the guns and safety and all that stuff but there was times where they let loose and joked around....and became common ground with you as a person, learner, and a person that has a gun.

SylvreWolfe
02-07-2009, 22:45
It might be an idea if you could attract enough participants for the class. Another idea would be family options, husband/wife type classes, etc I took a civilian safety course with my first husband.