When carrying in your vehicle??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When carrying in your vehicle???

GameCock13
01-23-2009, 21:15
Can anyone tell me what the law is on Carrying a Handgun in a vehicle without have a CCW in South Carolina? I have heard a bunch of different things and im just trying to find whats the proper way? Thanks for any help.

GameCock13
01-23-2009, 21:27
I did find this under the laws: (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;- So is this saying as long as it is in my center console or my glovebox its ok? As long as i dont have to open it to get to any thing if i am pulled over?

Glockphobia
01-24-2009, 04:19
put it in your glove box, you'll be fine.

Glockrunner
01-24-2009, 08:01
Here is the link for the SC Law Enforcement website and you can read it for yourself.
Look under the STATE GUN LAWS section:
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP

GameCock13
01-24-2009, 08:01
Thanks

GLOCKS&CARDZ21
02-20-2009, 20:53
so let me get this right you said it is ok to carry your gun in a glove compartment which is in a consealed area if you open the glove compartment when you are being pulled over when you dont have a concealed carry permit

Glockphobia
02-21-2009, 06:11
so let me get this right you said it is ok to carry your gun in a glove compartment which is in a consealed area if you open the glove compartment when you are being pulled over when you dont have a concealed carry permit

"carrying concealed" would refer to carrying on your person.
while carrying a weapon in your glove box or console would refer to "transporting" a firearm.

yes, carrying your weapon in the glove box is technically concealed, the law states it must be in a covered console, glove box or trunk. look at it this way, if you had your weapon laying on the console or in the passenger seat and someone drove by and seen your weapon, im guessing you could possibly be charged with brandishing because open carry is NOT legal.

shotthetree
02-22-2009, 10:54
He's right on the SC law. For other states, you can go to HANDGUNLAW.US for the laws. And go to NRA.ORG on home page, drop down list under (politics and legislation) and you can find out about any state.

GLOCKS&CARDZ21
03-01-2009, 19:23
ok thanx ill check that out but from what i read it seamed illeagal to carry it in your glove box without a concealed weopons permit i would plobably do that anyway when in a store or simular scinarios to avoid theivery but have it open while in the car .

ranger88
03-02-2009, 16:08
In SC it is perfectly legal to carry in your glove box, center console, or trunk. You do have to be aware that some policemen still do not like this form of "carry". But you are within your legal rights to do so. Save yourself the trouble and get your CWP. That way your firearm will be on your person where it will do you the most good in the event that you need it.

BadAndy
03-02-2009, 18:43
ok thanx ill check that out but from what i read it seamed illeagal to carry it in your glove box without a concealed weopons permit i would plobably do that anyway when in a store or simular scinarios to avoid theivery but have it open while in the car .
It can be in the glovebox or even in a center arm rest/console.

Ranger88 is right though...CWP is the best way to go :cool:

WantMoreGlocks
03-22-2009, 16:12
Just piping in to agree that "transporting" a loaded handgun in your glove box or closed console IS legal in SC. There should not be any confusion about it. Don't listen to people who cannot read.

SCRoadRunner
03-26-2009, 15:37
It can be in the glovebox or even in a center arm rest/console.
The center console MUST have closure (like a glove box).

ABSOLUTELY NO (CWP or not):
Under the seat;
In the side panels of the doors;
On the seat under something.

Quip19
03-29-2009, 11:12
Ok, so i am a PA CCW holder and i do understand that SC does not recognize my CCW permit. As i am reading the SC vehicle "Transportation" exceptions just a few questions arose.

1) Does the weapon have to be unloaded when locked in a glove compartment?

2) Should the ammunition be kept in a seperate location as the pistol?

3) When speaking of integral fastener as per Section 16-23-20 (9), should a pistol safety lock also be used when the pistol is locked in a glove box?

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Your comments/thoughts on this matter are greatly appreceiated.

snookomatic
04-13-2009, 21:41
Ok, so i am a PA CCW holder and i do understand that SC does not recognize my CCW permit. As i am reading the SC vehicle "Transportation" exceptions just a few questions arose.

1) Does the weapon have to be unloaded when locked in a glove compartment?

2) Should the ammunition be kept in a seperate location as the pistol?

3) When speaking of integral fastener as per Section 16-23-20 (9), should a pistol safety lock also be used when the pistol is locked in a glove box?

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Your comments/thoughts on this matter are greatly appreceiated.

I have no idea as to the law for an out of state resident. But I would think that they would apply to anyone in SC with a handgun. To answer you question. I called SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) and they told me that the firearm may be loaded and in a latched compartment. I told them that my center console was not lockable, but had a latch. They said that I may keep my pistol loaded in my center console. I keep a copy of SC law in my car with my registration. And the way I read it, you are not in violation if you have to get your registration out of the same area that your gun is in...in other words, if you keep your loaded gun in the glovebox or center console you are fine.

If you have any questions call SLED at 803-896-7015 ask for the regulations department.

Hope this helps!!

Thx-1138
04-14-2009, 09:43
Loaded is fine. If you note the exceptions quoted above, it does not mention that the firearm must be unloaded.

What you HAVE to do is make sure the compartment closes and has a latch. Doesn't need to lock - but it MUST latch.

As an officer safety issue, if you have both a center console and a glove box, and don't care which one it's in, put it in the glove box. It's a lot easier, if you're pulled over, for the police officer to see when it's open, and harder for you to get to. Both of those things make him feel safer, which is a good thing.

Carbonfly
04-14-2009, 14:54
As an officer safety issue, if you have both a center console and a glove box, and don't care which one it's in, put it in the glove box. It's a lot easier, if you're pulled over, for the police officer to see when it's open, and harder for you to get to. Both of those things make him feel safer, which is a good thing.

Yea, also it would be a good idea to inform the officer of the weapon before you open the glove box. Don't want freak the officer out. I bet he might come over to the passenger side and remove the gun so that you can look for your registration information.

dugo
05-06-2009, 13:13
Hope it is ok to do a slight extension of the topic here. Maybe 7 - 8 years ago, some of the smaller S.C. towns (at least one, anyway) were operating on the theory that the word "secured" in the law meant the glove box had to be locked. Actually, I had the impression that they knew it was wrong, but the "suits" or the local polititions thought it was a good idea anyway and were going to do it until somebody told them to stop. Anybody heard of that recently? Did it ever get challenged and straightened out?

Carbonfly
05-06-2009, 14:29
Hope it is ok to do a slight extension of the topic here. Maybe 7 - 8 years ago, some of the smaller S.C. towns (at least one, anyway) were operating on the theory that the word "secured" in the law meant the glove box had to be locked. Actually, I had the impression that they knew it was wrong, but the "suits" or the local polititions thought it was a good idea anyway and were going to do it until somebody told them to stop. Anybody heard of that recently? Did it ever get challenged and straightened out?

As far as I know this is not the case. At least not anymore. As long as the glovebox shuts then it is considered "secured".

dugo
05-06-2009, 18:19
I'm sure that was the law then, too. They were just stretching. Hope they aren't still scratching their own interpretations out of things, but that was quite a while ago. If it was still happening, I'm sure you folks would know. Word would have gotten around.