Fairfax NRA Range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax NRA Range

watsoncb
01-24-2009, 12:27
Does anyone have any information about how one goes about shooting at their range? I am a NRA member. :whistling:

Javelin
01-24-2009, 12:40
Does anyone have any information about how one goes about shooting at their range? I am a NRA member. :whistling:

No clue. I was invited once in 1997 when Marrion Hammer was the President and old Wayne was just finishing his book series. It is a pretty neat range with a waterfall backstop and all electronic firing lanes. Maybe just give them a call.

:wavey:

Hokie
01-24-2009, 12:47
Just go there and tell them you have not shot there before. You will be given the test and the answers to the test. You go to the class room and do the test. They give you your range card.

NoSuchStudios
01-24-2009, 13:06
Yup. take the test and pay $10 for your range card. If you're an NRA member the range fee is $12 i believe and its $18 if you're a non-member.

Really nice range but there's typically a waiting list on weekends. The place fills up quickly like most ranges around here.

watsoncb
01-24-2009, 14:22
Thanks for the information. I drive past the place all the time. Today I drove out to Blue Ridge and could not shoot (because I'm not a member). I felt pretty stupid to drive past the NRA range to go to Blue Ridge.

As Homer would say: "Doop" ! :tequila::tease:

WayaX
01-24-2009, 14:40
Until the new range near me was built, I went down to Fairfax once a month (from WV) to shoot at the NRA range. It is a very nice range with a maximum distance of 75 yards. It's best to go during off-peak hours though. The wait time on a Friday night can be upwards of 2 hours. The range is very well monitored for morons and goof balls as well. The staff is usually very friendly as well.

Sporwick
01-24-2009, 16:00
PM sent

Fungunner
01-24-2009, 18:59
You have to be a member to shoot a the Blue Ridge Range??

When did this start?

You'll find the NRA Range to be modern, well lit, well ventilated, well designed.

Olivers_AR
01-25-2009, 00:23
There are hours on the weekend 8-10 that are members only, other hours are open to the public.

Highly suggest that you goto the NRA range off hours, they are open late at nights and early, depending on the day.

When did this start?
You'll find the NRA Range to be modern, well lit, well ventilated, well designed.

Nubbins
01-25-2009, 14:19

When did this start?

This is from Blue Ridges website
"Blue Ridge Arsenal is a public range. We do not require long term membership to shoot here; but, members enjoy benefits that non-members do not. These include discounts on rental firearms, member only sales, no hourly range fees, free guest passes and range use priority"

I'm not a member so I try to go on weekdays before or after lunch time or early on weekends and have not had to wait.

watsoncb
01-25-2009, 14:39
I want to be clear, I did not have an issue with Blue Ridge. The range is limited to members at certain times and that is fair. I just did not realize when the members only times were.

Most of the time, Blue Ridge is open.

zeker2
01-26-2009, 05:40
While your waiting to shoot at the NRA range, check out the National Firearms Museum next door. You can spend days in there - a musket that came over on the Mayflower; Lewis and Clark air rifle; the Dukes guns, Quigley's Sharps, guns from every war, and everything in between. They have over 5,000 firearms with 2,500 on display.

Fungunner
01-26-2009, 06:29
While your waiting to shoot at the NRA range, check out the National Firearms Museum next door. You can spend days in there - a musket that came over on the Mayflower; Lewis and Clark air rifle; the Dukes guns, Quigley's Sharps, guns from every war, and everything in between. They have over 5,000 firearms with 2,500 on display.

Amen to that. Anybody notice how they chose to display the Quigley Sharps? Unless they have changed the display since my last visit, no particular prominence given to it, just sort of laying there. You gotta look for it.

gtrcivic
01-26-2009, 13:21
pretty nice range, but very busy on the weekends....

NavArch
01-26-2009, 17:13
In my not so humble opinion, BR is just a little too proud of their range and firearms, based on the prices they charge. Also, one Saturday morning when I went by, they refused my business because it was "members only time", even though they had only 4 lanes active. :wow:

NRA Range:
# $12(?) per hour
# 15 positions/lanes
# Shooting Distances up to 50 yards
# Automatic target retrieval system that allows the shooter to edge and face the target for time intervals programmed by the shooter
# Visiting Master Series
# Wheelchair Accessible
# All pistol calibers and centerfire rifle up to .460 Weatherby Magnum
# A professional staff of range officers who are all qualified instructors

My son got a 100 on the NRA Range's multiple choice test to get a range card. :cool:

ChuteTheMall
01-29-2009, 20:36
It is a very nice range with a maximum distance of 75 yards.

Only if you are shooting from the classrooms thru the lobby, thru the glass and then over into the shooting range, because the maximum actual range is 50 yards from backstop to firing line. :animlol:

NRA Range:
# $12(?) per hour
# 15 positions/lanes
# Shooting Distances up to 50 yards

While your waiting to shoot at the NRA range, check out the National Firearms Museum next door.

Open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day except major holidays. And they are serious about closing at 4 p.m., so plan ahead. It's worth multiple visits.

http://www.nationalfirearmsmuseum.org/Default.asp

SouthernBoyVA
01-30-2009, 05:02
For your information, there is an outdoor range at the southwest bottom corner of Fairfax county, on 140 acres with a 100 yard rifle/handgun/shotgun (certain loads) range (17 stations as I recall), a skeet and trap range, bow and arrow facilities, a stocked fishing pond, and camping facilities. I have been a member since '94 and it is inexpensive. The Arlington/Fairfax Chapter of the Izaac Walton League is one of the best kept secrets in the area. You might want to think about looking into this as a possibility.

Oh and BTW, the owner of Blue Ridge Arsenal voted for Obama.

watsoncb
01-30-2009, 09:33
I have been under the impression that the public was barred form the Fairfax Co. IWL Chapter. Access is limited to members and their guests. And the Fairfax Co. IWL was not accepting new memberships.

I belonged to the IWL in Damasscus, MD and when I move to Fairfax Co. I hoped to join the Fairfax Chapter of IWL (1998). But the Fairfax Chapter was not interested in transferring my membership. :(

At the last Chantilly Gun Show, a guy from the Loudoun Co IWL was passing out cards to get membership info.

SouthernBoyVA
01-30-2009, 11:01
I have been under the impression that the public was barred form the Fairfax Co. IWL Chapter. Access is limited to members and their guests. And the Fairfax Co. IWL was not accepting new memberships.

I belonged to the IWL in Damasscus, MD and when I move to Fairfax Co. I hoped to join the Fairfax Chapter of IWL (1998). But the Fairfax Chapter was not interested in transferring my membership. :(

At the last Chantilly Gun Show, a guy from the Loudoun Co IWL was passing out cards to get membership info.

Yes sir, you are correct. Access is limited to members and their guests. As of later last year, the 2200 membership ceiling was reached, but this changes all the time as people come and go. So a call to their chapter never hurts to find out if there are slots.

Olivers_AR
01-30-2009, 17:04
There is a 2200 member ceiling, email the membership contact info on the website. Current members have until the end of Feb 09 to re-up, once the number of members that don't resign is known, that's how many memberships will be open of 09. Last year by ~April timeframe, 08 memberships were filled.

If that doesn't work or its filled, there are IWLAs in Loudoun Co, Winchester, and Stafford.

I shot as a guest at one of Monkey County locations (Poolesville?) as a misguided youth ;) A family friend was RO or chapter officer growing up.

Yes sir, you are correct. Access is limited to members and their guests. As of later last year, the 2200 membership ceiling was reached, but this changes all the time as people come and go. So a call to their chapter never hurts to find out if there are slots.

zeker2
02-01-2009, 06:16
There is a 2200 member ceiling, email the membership contact info on the website. Current members have until the end of Feb 09 to re-up, once the number of members that don't resign is known, that's how many memberships will be open of 09. Last year by ~April timeframe, 08 memberships were filled.

I am on the waiting list for the Fairfax IWL and anxiously awaiting to find out if I made this years "cut".

FYI, a new indoor range is due to open in Woodbridge in the Spring. It will be in the same shopping center as the charred ruins of the old Shooter's Paradise (but under different ownership). From what I hear it is supposed to be a first class facility. I'll join that range as well if the memberships aren't through the roof.

Olivers_AR
02-01-2009, 10:20
Best of luck in getting in on the waiting list. Make sure that you attend the March 7th (First Saturday of the Month) meeting, get the briefing, sign-up and pay the dues.

I was just there this morning (Bullseye), its cold at 0745 in the morning, but its still a good day at the range!

On another site someone has said that they haven't broken ground yet on the new facility, so it maybe late spring, depending on construction schedule.

The more ranges, the better ;)

I am on the waiting list for the Fairfax IWL and anxiously awaiting to find out if I made this years "cut".

FYI, a new indoor range is due to open in Woodbridge in the Spring. It will be in the same shopping center as the charred ruins of the old Shooter's Paradise (but under different ownership). From what I hear it is supposed to be a first class facility. I'll join that range as well if the memberships aren't through the roof.

vafish
02-15-2009, 15:55
Best of luck in getting in on the waiting list. Make sure that you attend the March 7th (First Saturday of the Month) meeting, get the briefing, sign-up and pay the dues.

I was just there this morning (Bullseye), its cold at 0745 in the morning, but its still a good day at the range!

On another site someone has said that they haven't broken ground yet on the new facility, so it maybe late spring, depending on construction schedule.

The more ranges, the better ;)

Zeker,

I don't know what waiting list you are on, or who said you were on the list. but the only waiting list that is being used for new members is about 20 people that came to a new members orientation last year but we went over our limit of 2,200 people at that orientation. They were the last people to sign up upon entering the building.

As Olivers_AR said,

To join the Arlington Fairfax IWLA in Centreville, Show up for the new member orientation at 8:30 on March 7th.

Membership information here:

http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/membership.html

home web page: http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/

One big change for this year. In years past you were not given a range badge until you had done your 6 hrs of volunteer work. This resulted in a ton of people wanting to volunteer in March and April, then no one doing any work later on in the year. New policy is to issue a Temporary range badge that gives you 60 or 90 days (can't remember the exact number off hand) to do your 6 hours of work.

If you have any other questions about the Arlington Fairfax IWLA feel free to PM me. I'm not only a member, I'm on the BOD.

mlglock
05-17-2009, 07:46
Went to the NRA range for the first time yesterday with my wife and we were very impressed. The NRA staff was helpful and friendly which was appreciated considering it was the first time I ever took my wife shooting.