crap all over my lens [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : crap all over my lens

TimP
01-24-2009, 21:46
So when I look through the viewfinder ther is crap all over it. So I carefully remove the lens, and clean the sensor, mirror etc per the instructions i got from canon USA, and cleaned both ends of the lens too, and it still has crap all over it.

What gives?

Any advice?

Hokie
01-24-2009, 22:05
Do you see this with a different lens mounted? It could be something in your viewfinder. If so it can be annoying but is out of the optical path when a photo is taken so it will not show ruin you photos.

JimBianchi
01-25-2009, 01:35
With the lens off, look at the mirror and the prism glass. (It is inside the mirror compartment, on the top. Looks like a glass square)

Use a puffer brush gently and a cleaning tissue and lens cleaning fluid sparingly. Mirros clean easy, but you still need to becareful.

90% of the time what you are seeing is on that glass square and does not effect photos. (Mirror pops up and covers this when a photo is taken.)

To test for dirt on the sensor:
Take a photo of blue sky, no clouds, blue wall, or such, on ISO 100, finest JPEG, F16 or F22 is better, using auto settings. In you photo software open the image and view at 200% and increase contrast until spots just appear. Look closely to see if it is dirt or digital noise.

Generally noise is normal and looks like even grains of sand, washing over darker parts of the image. (Properly exposed blue sky should be even and have no dark parts so only dirt appears)

Clean your sensor according to whatever your manufacture’s says and repeat to test results.

If you are unhappy with these results, try this:

Set the camera to manual, ISO 100, F16/F22 @ 1 second. Put the lens cap on and take a picture. (It will be dark on purpose)

Load it into your photo viewing software and adjust the brightness or contrast slightly and watch for noise, specks and hairs to appear.

Clean your sensor according to whatever your manufacture’s says and repeat the cap on photo.

Compare the two photos and you should see a difference.

Some cameras have auto self cleaning modes, if you got it, use it.

NEVER TOUCH OR CLEAN THE SENOR WITHOUT READING THE OWNERS MANUAL FIRST.

If you do, and you ruin it, you will leave a fingerprint and the manufacture will use that to void the warrantee. Follow the manual and you should be fine, or if you are over your head, find a local camera shop that cleans digital cameras to do it for you.

TimP
01-26-2009, 11:26
Jim,

I tried what you are talking about and it looks like most of it was on the viewfinder. There is one spec of something either on the sensor or the lens. I stopped by the camera shop and the guy there showed me how to clean it, and the spot is gone.

thanks for all your help
Tim

JimBianchi
01-26-2009, 14:02
Glad to help.

TimP
01-26-2009, 14:04
thankfully the spot on the sensor was in the extreme corner and I was able to crop it out of the picture :) Got to love 15MP cameras!