Where to find a reloading course? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a reloading course?

NoSuchStudios
01-26-2009, 09:47
Hello again All,

I was wondering if there was anyone here who could tell me where i could get into an NRA metallic reloading course?

There's only one advertised on the NRA website and that's not til August. If there's anyone that could either point me to someone or is certified to teach it, I've got myself and at least 2-3 other folks that are interested. Probably could fill up a class if need be, just need an instructor that will teach it.

Thank you much for all your help.

Jason
NoSuch

Nubbins
01-26-2009, 10:06
You could save the $120 and use it towards books and equipment and teach yourself. There are lots of forums you can go to for help the only stupid question is the one never ask. The used book store sometimes has older issues of loading manuals. I never took a course just bought some books started with a single stage press and moved up to a progressive press when i couldn't keep up with my shooting habit.:supergrin:

Beware Owner
01-26-2009, 10:09
True, it would be a great waste of time and money to pay someone else to teach you. You can see many videos online, and simply follow the instructions on your RELOADING MANUAL, which is your loading Bible. Can you take a measurement with a caliper? Can you screw in a die? Can you read a scale? It's so simple it doesn't make any sense.

NoSuchStudios
01-26-2009, 10:17
Fair enough. I don't mind doing it on my own but i'm a big fan of the classroom. My biggest issue is sort of reinventing the wheel on subjects. I enjoy lessons learned from others.

So can you all provide me some good resources? (books, websites, videos, whatever) there's a ton of information out there and not all of it good. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Beware Owner
01-26-2009, 10:19
Fair enough. I don't mind doing it on my own but i'm a big fan of the classroom. My biggest issue is sort of reinventing the wheel on subjects. I enjoy lessons learned from others.

So can you all provide me some good resources? (books, websites, videos, whatever) there's a ton of information out there and not all of it good. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Speer Reloading Manual, ABC's of Reloading, even the RCBS website has a number of videos to get you going.

Let me tell you, though, when I started, I did have a little bit of a hard time. Once I was able to ask questions on this forum, my reloading became much simpler and seamless. What worked for me was doing it myself with a manual and the backup of GT, on the Reloading forum, though.

fgutie35
01-26-2009, 10:26
I started by buying the Lee Manual Handloading kit. and just by reading the instructions, made my first bullet. Then I joined forums like "savageshooter" and "benchrest" and "sniper country" and got all the info I needed to start updating my primitive equipment for more prescise equipment. Now I can make bullets with better performance than the Gold Medal series from Federal.:supergrin:

Fungunner
01-26-2009, 10:35
Beware Owner mentioned the RCBS site. They have a number of great videos that will teach you how it's done. I believe GT member Jim Scoutten even went through the videos on his Shooting USA program.

Of course, all the equipment used is RCBS, and though it's great equipment, check out equipment from other manufacturers. Even the lowest price equipment will render some pretty good reloads.

ISOM
01-29-2009, 12:20
I got my start in reloading by reading Speer Manual #8 and Lyman Manual #44.
Hornady have a video and, I am sure there are others available.

Olivers_AR
01-29-2009, 12:44
You might check with Guns and Ammo in Manassas, VA. They are selling reloading presses and had classes at one time.

SouthernBoyVA
01-30-2009, 06:04
Reloading is simple to learn and simple to do. I did it for over 20 years for handgun loads (.357 and .44 Magnum). Books and a visit to a shop which caters to reloaders are your best friends.

Olivers_AR
01-30-2009, 18:09
There is a NoVA/VA reloaders group on Yahoo groups. Join it and if you get a press, folks maybe able to help setup and get your started.

Get the training space and maybe people might be able to bring a portable press and informal gatherings on how to reload ;)

Beware Owner
01-31-2009, 09:17
There is a NoVA/VA reloaders group on Yahoo groups. Join it and if you get a press, folks maybe able to help setup and get your started.

Get the training space and maybe people might be able to bring a portable press and informal gatherings on how to reload ;)

That would be awesome to do. I wish we had more of those going on.

watsoncb
01-31-2009, 15:38
Since we have some experts responding to this tread may be it is time to consider reloading. I think NoSuchStudios is on to something.

Are there any home owners insurance issues to consider before beginning to reload? Specifically having rifle and pistol powders or primers in the home does not impact my home's fire etc. insurance?

longwatch2k1
02-10-2009, 23:09
To the OP, G&A Warehouse in Manassas offers periodic NRA Metallic Reloading Courses, they are taking names for the next one now.

vafish
02-15-2009, 16:43
Hello again All,

I was wondering if there was anyone here who could tell me where i could get into an NRA metallic reloading course?

There's only one advertised on the NRA website and that's not til August. If there's anyone that could either point me to someone or is certified to teach it, I've got myself and at least 2-3 other folks that are interested. Probably could fill up a class if need be, just need an instructor that will teach it.

Thank you much for all your help.

Jason
NoSuch

Well it's probably the one you saw on the NRA web site.

But the IWLA in Centreville has one scheduled for August 29th.

http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/2009basicreg.html