CHL question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CHL question

shortcircuit
01-26-2009, 16:44
Does Virginia have a shall inform law enforcement when carring law?
Say for instance you were pulled over do you have to tell the police officer you have a license and you are carrying?
I checked out the state police web site and did not see anything, I was just wondering because it is a law where I use to live.

Tweek's Turbos
01-26-2009, 18:14
No you don't have to inform. They will prolly ask after they run ur license and write up the speeding ticket.:whistling:

Fungunner
01-26-2009, 18:27
The VCDL had some great tips about how to tell a policeman you were carrying. It involved letting them first know that you have a concealed carry permit BEFORE telling them you are carrying a loaded gun.

The Habit
01-27-2009, 08:06
The VCDL had some great tips about how to tell a policeman you were carrying. It involved letting them first know that you have a concealed carry permit BEFORE telling them you are carrying a loaded gun.

I've got mixed feelings on this. I've been subject to several traffic stops since obtaining my carry permit. Even though I was not obligated to do so, I would inform the LEO I was a concealed carry permit holder and that I did in fact have a concealed loaded firearm in the vehicle (while keeping my hands on the wheel in plain sight and maintaining eye contact with the LEO). It was never an issue until I was pulled over by a Virginia state trooper on I-81 in Montgomery County.

This particular trooper became immediately edgy upon being notified that I was armed. He asked that I very slowly produce the firearm and hand it over to him. While this was against my better judgment, I saw fit to comply. He then asked me to pop my trunk. I did as he asked and he placed my gun in the trunk of my car, wrote my ticket, and then asked that I wait until he drive off before retrieving my firearm.

There were several problems here: the gun was handled unnecessarily by the LEO, I was disarmed, and I had to exit my vehicle on the side of busy highway to retrieve my firearm from the trunk. What also didn't sit right with me was when he questioned me as to why I had a carry permit and why I thought I needed to carry a gun.

In summary, I no longer voluntarily inform LEOs that I am armed. I've been pulled over a couple of times since then and even after running my license and finding out I'm a permit holder, neither LEO has asked if I was armed.

As with everything, YMMV.

RussP
01-27-2009, 12:27
Like others said, no, there is no legal requirement to declare when stopped.

I have in the few encounters since I've been carrying. No negative responses at all.

However, let me add that I have friends in LE who tell me there are officers and Troopers out there who just do not like anyone they encounter having a firearm and they will disarm you if they have even the slightest anxiety.

A Trooper pulling you say on 64 or 81 at 02:00 where emergency response or backup are 10-15 minutes or more away may be more comfortable putting your firearm in the trunk. A local PD Officer with backup and EMS a max of 2-3 mins away in the middle of the day may not feel the need.

:cool:

shortcircuit
01-27-2009, 13:27

Orkinman
01-27-2009, 23:30
A Trooper pulling you say on 64 or 81 at 02:00 where emergency response or backup are 10-15 minutes or more away may be more comfortable putting your firearm in the trunk. A local PD Officer with backup and EMS a max of 2-3 mins away in the middle of the day may not feel the need.

:cool:

I can see where this seems to make sense, but I would think if the officer is a little worried then it really wouldn't matter how far away EMS and backup is. Getting shot is getting shot. However since CHP holders have a lower crime rate than law enforcement officers I don't see the sense behind disarming us. I'd be willing to be more accidents happen disarming lawful CHP holders than a CHP holder drawing and firing on an officer. Actually can someone link a news item of a CHP holder that has accosted an officer with a handgun during a traffic stop? I'd like to see that.

watsoncb
01-28-2009, 00:51
From listening to VA State and Fairfax County LEO channels, the patrol officer is notified as part of the warrant check if you are CCW holder.

Dean
01-28-2009, 01:21
You may want to inform. I always do.
It marks you as a good guy who knows the law.
Might help you to not get that ticket. :drillsgt:

Tweek's Turbos
01-28-2009, 17:21
You may want to inform. I always do.
It marks you as a good guy who knows the law.
Might help you to not get that ticket. :drillsgt:

Slightly disagree, Informing them could in fact let them know you don't know that you don't actually have to inform them.