panic ammunition buying in Vegas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : panic ammunition buying in Vegas?

tactical9mm
01-28-2009, 11:50
Has anyone else noticed this recently? I went into a walmart today where I have always bought my range ammo. I buy about once every two months, by the case (1000 rounds of 115-grain FMJ 9mm). Winchester white box or more recently the blazer brass which is a little bit cheaper, and in my opinion of a higher quality then the WWB.

The shelves were completely empty of 9mm, .45 and the .40 was almost out of stock. When i spoke to the clerk he told me each shipment they get in usually sells out completely within a few days since Obama has taken office.

Walmart is the cheapest place in town to buy 9mm plinking ammo, so I can't see looking anywhere else. I guess I wait until the ammo can stay on the shelves before I buy more. Hopefully this panic trend doesnt continue much longer.

crazypilot
02-01-2009, 14:29
I've noticed it. I shoot .40 S&W so I'm okay there. However, if you need ammo ASAP, there is a local online retailer that can meet you FTF if you need 9mm ammo. He is receiving a shipment in of 9mm (Speer/CCI Brass case, 115 gr, FMJ 9mm. - $214/k**) tomorrow (2 Feb 09). His name is Cliff and his website is www.mygotimegear.com. I've purchased multiple items from him and have had no issues.

If you buy something from him, please tell him I reffered you (give him screen name: Shotdown).

Javelin
02-01-2009, 14:43
Ammo is a tough thing to find almost everywhere these days. And if you do find it online/wherever it is extremely marked up.

bj702
02-01-2009, 18:08
I just went to the Tropicana gun show. Everything there is expensive. Most dealers marked up more than local stores. That is just wrong.

I do like the selections. There are plenty of choices to chose from.

I am wondering where can we buy cheap paper targets like those 35X24 size.

jpa
02-02-2009, 21:05
I was looking at the Winchester white box at the ammo guy's counter. It was $188/case for 1k rounds. I passed, then went to the Wal-mart on Sunset/Stephanie on my way to a super bowl party. They had about 5 unopened cases sitting in front of the ammo case. Price on the shelf (there were about 8 boxes stocked also) was $19.95, so $199.50 per case. First time I've seen the gun show cheaper than wal-mart. The big UMC yellow box was $81 for 250 rounds for .45 as well.

G19Tony
02-21-2009, 10:53
I never leave Walmart with out something. Either a box or two of .22 or 500 rds of Blazer 9mm. Unless of course, they are out of everything. :supergrin:

Steve19
03-22-2009, 19:01
yeah i went to wally world friday bass pro shops and none of them had any 9mm target loads its ridiculous

JimBianchi
03-22-2009, 19:27
I saw some at Dicks and Big5, but Wally World is cheaper.

Here's hint I over heard yesterday at the WW in Henderson (Sunset/Marks).

The delivery truck comes in at 6am and at least one local guy is there each and every day in past few weeks to meet it and buy all the ammo. Usually only 20 or so boxes a day has been arriving, according to the employee I was ease-dropping on.

The manager may put a stop to it by making a per day limit, but as of now I haven't heard for sure.

Good luck (and try georgia-arms.com, great ammo. They say it is a 4+ week wait, but average time's been under two weeks.)

jpa
03-24-2009, 00:01
I saw some at Dicks and Big5, but Wally World is cheaper.

Here's hint I over heard yesterday at the WW in Henderson (Sunset/Marks).

The delivery truck comes in at 6am and at least one local guy is there each and every day in past few weeks to meet it and buy all the ammo. Usually only 20 or so boxes a day has been arriving, according to the employee I was ease-dropping on.

The manager may put a stop to it by making a per day limit, but as of now I haven't heard for sure.

Good luck (and try georgia-arms.com, great ammo. They say it is a 4+ week wait, but average time's been under two weeks.)

I went to that store right before the super bowl, they had like 6 cases of 9mm still unopened behind the counter. I really wish I had extra scratch with me that day but I just spent a crapload on magazines at the gun show. The walmart by me (decatur and north 215) doesn't have ANYTHING. I lucked out a few weeks ago the day before the nascar race and got 2 200 rnd boxes of 223, but since then the shelves have been empty except for like 20 ga shells.

I'm gonna really laugh when these jackasses are sitting on the curb with all their ammo because they didn't pay their mortgage so they could buy more ammo.

mitchshrader
03-24-2009, 00:10
i've shot up several hundred dollars worth of ammo lately, family practice sessions..

and didn't dent or even scratch the pile. don't hold your breath till i'm sittin' at the curb, though, i wouldn't want you to turn blue.

and yes, i'll get up at daylight to go buy 4 boxes of .38s, and snag all the mini-mags just for luck.

ya snooze ya lose

1337-G
03-24-2009, 19:58
Who left the door open and let that guy sneak in here?

FenderStrat
04-02-2009, 13:31
Ammo is really tough to get. I want to visit the range more, I'm just torn between stocking up more or getting in some range time. Kinda sucks getting up really early to wait around at Wal-Mart and I'm not the only one waiting for them to put it on the shelves.

tactical9mm
04-10-2009, 17:11
I still haven't been able to buy any 9mm ammunition at Walmart as the shelves are always empty when I'm there. I haven't been to my range (american shooters on Arville) since last year as a result of this problem. I refuse to pay $20-$25 at the range for a box of 50 plinking fmj 9mm rounds, when I can pay $25 at walmart for 150 rounds.

I don't understand why Walmart isnt adjusting their orders to fulfill obvious demand for a span involving four months.

jpa
04-11-2009, 01:19
I'm not entirely sure it's a case of wal-mart not holding up their end in the supply chain. It appears that at certain locations people are waiting to meet the truck on delivery days and hoarding whatever comes in. I know the wal-mart at Rainbow/Cheyenne has implemented a 2 box per customer maximum due to this practice. I wouldn't be surprised if the other stores did the same thing shortly. A lot of this is due to fears of a "per round" ammo tax. There was talk of it in a Las Vegas Sun article published Thursday. I'm trying to find it now.

tactical9mm
04-11-2009, 07:54
The Walmart I frequent is the one on South Eastern. They have a sign up at the ammo booth now that says something like "Sorry, we're unable to keep up with the demand". Very frustrating.

Bullet taxes are usually used in states like california where anti-firearm sentiment runs high, as a way to fight against citizens that own firearms. I really hope that such rubbish would be rejected here in our state and the politicians that supported it are promptly voted out of office.

jpa
04-11-2009, 16:31
The Walmart I frequent is the one on South Eastern. They have a sign up at the ammo booth now that says something like "Sorry, we're unable to keep up with the demand". Very frustrating.

Bullet taxes are usually used in states like california where anti-firearm sentiment runs high, as a way to fight against citizens that own firearms. I really hope that such rubbish would be rejected here in our state and the politicians that supported it are promptly voted out of office.

The fear is generally not against a state tax on ammo. More than likely it would come from DC. There's also speculation that they would ban the import of ammo from foreign countries, thus driving prices domestically through the roof. I'm not worried about the ammo tax as much as the chicken-little people, but I am worried about not being able to get sufficient ammo on hand for the matches I want to attend due to them.

JimBianchi
04-11-2009, 19:44
The WM on Nellis and Craig had 10 boxes of 7.62x39 for $29/100 today at 2pm.

tactical9mm
04-13-2009, 14:47
Here's yet another dismal update:

I went back to the Walmart on S Eastern today, and shelves still empty of all 9, 40 and 45. Plenty of shotgun shells and 7.62 rifle ammo, but no pistol ammo. The clerk let me know that it was one guy who was coming in after each shipment and literally cleaning out the inventory in a shopping cart (at the S eastern store location).

I went to the Walmart on Eastern and Serene and they were also cleaned out. I hit the Walmart on Tropicana and Pecos and yes, they were empty as well.

I decided to check the Gun Store on Tropicana, and they were selling Walmart WWB 100-packs of 9mm/115-grain for $33. Walmart's retail on those is $19.

My last stop was at American shooters on Arville. They were completely out of factory 9mm. They usually have stock of federal 124-grain and several other reputable brands. All they had were reloads which they were selling for $19/50 rounds. They had premium factory carry ammo (of course), but no 9mm plinking ammo.

This whole situation is a little unbelievable. I really find it hard to accept that we're going through these kinds of supply and demand issues. I never had problems acquiring any type of Pistol ammunition locally in any quantity before this last presidential election. This situation seemed to start right after his inauguration.

bigdaddyjav
04-14-2009, 02:12
I myself have settled in to being patient and riding this panic spree out. I have a good enough of a stockpile to not feel left out and behind the ammo train. However, I will not hesitate to snag a few boxes of decent priced ammo if the opportunity presents itself.

jpa
04-14-2009, 22:49
I just left walmart on rainbow/cheyenne. 7.62 and 223 on the shelves in the 50 round boxes. Nothing else, but those are there for those in need.

Barcroft
04-30-2009, 15:12
Perhaps things will soon be different for the WM afficienatos; the store near 215 and North Decatur now has a sign on the sporting goods counter indicating that ammo sales will be limited to six units/person/day.
This should at least slow down those who prefer to buy in bulk.
I was told that shipments are still somewhat "iffey".
Can't speak to other WM's around the valley.

crazypilot
04-30-2009, 17:51
I guess that'll control the guys buying in bulk and selling them for $100 over the price. We've already seen some of those on this forum.

flper67
05-01-2009, 00:23
wal mart on eastern and Russel have a sign up limiting the amount you can buy about time

crazypilot
05-01-2009, 02:40
I heard the Decatur/Centennial store too. I also heard it is a company policy now. Limit of 6 boxes.

jpa
05-01-2009, 13:37
Wonder if that trickled down to the store at Rainbow/Cheyenne, manager has had a store sign limiting them to 2 per person (not per caliber, per visit, etc..but per customer.)

RLS1851
05-17-2009, 15:25
I have been calling and stopping in at the Nellis and Stewart WM and have not been able to get any 9mm or .38spl. Stopped last week and talked to one of the sales people that I have seen a lot and he said that he has not received any 9mm in over two weeks. The last shipment he received was 40 boxes only, that was on a Saturday monring and that afternoon it was all gone.

What is even more surprizing is that there is no .22lr to be had. I have been shooting for over 45 years and have never been able to not get .22lr.

crazypilot
05-17-2009, 15:37
I had to get one of my friends that's temporarily stationed in GA to get me some CCI Mini Mags. I haven't been able to find any .22lr anywhere in town.

tactical9mm
06-12-2009, 13:44
Finally.....

I dropped in at the walmart on S. Eastern and they actually had nine boxes of the 9mm/115g blazer brass on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. I bought the six boxes they allowed me to get, and the word from the walmart employee is that the ammo shortage is at the "tail-end". They are getting shipments all the time now and some are actually staying on the shelves longer then a day.

Let's all hope this circus is coming to an end.

Barcroft
06-22-2009, 11:04
I plan on visiting a local WM today for a number of things, and will let you know if I find anything "new".
Sure hope so.

Barcroft
06-22-2009, 19:00
I plan on visiting a local WM today for a number of things, and will let you know if I find anything "new".
Sure hope so.

DRAT! Same old, same old.
End of the shortage is still a myth on my side of town.

k-lo
06-30-2009, 15:25
just got couple of boxes of .223 last sunday. it looks like the ammo panic is almost over (cross fingers)

Barcroft
07-23-2009, 23:13
I know that this thread is getting pretty long in the tooth, but tonight was the first time I've been able to buy ammo at WM since before the first of the year. I got one box that had been overlooked when a guy bought 5 just before I got there.

Steve19
08-02-2009, 02:14
You guys are lucky finding ammo at WM everytime i go i cant find anything anywhere hell American shooters was out of 40 for a LONG time

crazypilot
08-02-2009, 02:27
You might want to try the N. Decatur and 215 or the Tropical and 95 Walmarts for .40. S&W.