Process for Purchasing a Handgun in SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Process for Purchasing a Handgun in SC

tippersteffi1
01-28-2009, 19:40
I was born and rasied in SC, but left the state at the age of 21 because of my job. It has been a number of years since I left, but I am thinking about moving back and was wondering what the process is for purchasing a handgun. The state I currently live in requires a background check, 10 day waiting period, and a 25 question gun safety test. Also, are there any recommended gun shops in the Charleston SC area...thx!

Carbonfly
01-28-2009, 22:21
1. Go to the gun store
2. Pick out your gun
3. Fillout the background check paperwork
4. The employee calls the information in
5. You get approved and walk out the door with your new gun

No waiting period and you can buy as many guns as you have money for. There aren't any rules about being allowed only 1 gun every 30 days or anything.

Glockrunner
01-29-2009, 05:41
You will need proof that you are a resident of the state of SC.

Driver license, SC ID, something.

tippersteffi1
01-29-2009, 09:41
Thanks for the information!

GameCock13
01-29-2009, 15:49
Yep. Just got my first handgun two weeks ago, and it only took a few minutes on the phone and i walked out the door the same day with it.

clemtiger00
01-31-2009, 16:50
The best pricing in the Charleston area that I have found is Coastal Firearms, it is a smaller store with no range, and a little out of town. It is on Cainhoy Road off of Clements Ferry Road. They have the best prices, and none of the gun store heroes working there. Next I would say trader world, on Cross county road. They have slightly higher prices, more selection and a range. There is also ATP gun shop on College Park road. They probably have the largest store, higher prices still, and a range, but it seems to be really hard to get range time there, it is always busy. That is my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

tippersteffi1
01-31-2009, 19:11
The best pricing in the Charleston area that I have found is Coastal Firearms, it is a smaller store with no range, and a little out of town. It is on Cainhoy Road off of Clements Ferry Road. They have the best prices, and none of the gun store heroes working there. Next I would say trader world, on Cross county road. They have slightly higher prices, more selection and a range. There is also ATP gun shop on College Park road. They probably have the largest store, higher prices still, and a range, but it seems to be really hard to get range time there, it is always busy. That is my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

Thank you for the Charleston info...I will be visiting there in the Spring and will check out those stores.

Glockrunner
02-01-2009, 06:11

While we're going over all the friendly places to shop, let's not forget,

"The Gun Doctor" on Hwy 17A near Whitesville. On the way to Moncks Corner from Summerville.

tippersteffi1
02-01-2009, 11:04
Thanks for the gun shop information...one more question. Does anyone know the current availability of the Luger LCP or 2nd generation Kel Tec P-3AT in the Charleston area or a 50 mile radius? My sister is interested in a small handgun and I recommend this one because she is only 5 ft and a hundred pounds with small hands. I think the G26 would be too much for her to handle even though I really like mine. When I visit her, my goal was to have her purchase the gun and then I was going to check her out in the safe use of it...maybe get her started on a CCW permit. I called a couple places I found on the internet about the availability of those two pistols, none mentioned in this thread. They did not have any available and when I probed them on when they thought they might have them, they were not too friendly. I guess it is a seller's market!

NAS T MAG
02-01-2009, 11:14
You will need proof that you are a resident of the state of SC.

Driver license, SC ID, something.

That's not what the Range/Gun store near Myrtle Beach told me. I stated I was an Ohio resident on vacation.

Has there been a change?

Glockrunner
02-01-2009, 16:52
That's not what the Range/Gun store near Myrtle Beach told me. I stated I was an Ohio resident on vacation.

Has there been a change?

Please tell us what the fella said then.

tippersteffi1
02-01-2009, 18:05
This is two different post. I was the original poster and I will be moving back to SC and visiting my family in a few months. The other post was someone visiting Myrtle Beach and was wondering about the resident law requirment to purchase. Apparently, they were told they could purchase as a visitor. Hope this clears this up.

Glockrunner
02-01-2009, 18:12
This is two different post. I was the original poster and I will be moving back to SC and visiting my family in a few months. The other post was someone visiting Myrtle Beach and was wondering about the resident law requirment to purchase. Apparently, they were told they could purchase as a visitor. Hope this clears this up.

Absolutely correct, my bust. Wished I had paid a little closer attention to WHO Posted, thanks!

I'll edit that.

USMCsilver
02-01-2009, 18:51
No waiting period and you can buy as many guns as you have money for. There aren't any rules about being allowed only 1 gun every 30 days or anything.

There MAY BE a waiting period if NICS doesn't approve the x-fer immediately. This can be up to 3 days. If the FFL does not get a denial after three days, then that mean's you're good to go and you can go get said firearm.

Also, the law used to be 1/month. That has since changed. HOWEVER, if you purchase more than one from the same shop, within, IIRC 5 days, then there is a form they have to fax to SLED. However...if you purchase one from one dealer, then you go to another dealer and purchase another the same day, there's no forms.

I purchased two this past Wednesday from two different dealers.

Carbonfly
02-01-2009, 21:35
There MAY BE a waiting period if NICS doesn't approve the x-fer immediately. This can be up to 3 days. If the FFL does not get a denial after three days, then that mean's you're good to go and you can go get said firearm.

Also, the law used to be 1/month. That has since changed. HOWEVER, if you purchase more than one from the same shop, within, IIRC 5 days, then there is a form they have to fax to SLED. However...if you purchase one from one dealer, then you go to another dealer and purchase another the same day, there's no forms.

I purchased two this past Wednesday from two different dealers.

I purchased 2 G26's at the same time in the same store and didn't have to fill out anything extra. Is this something that the store has to fill out?

Also, I understand what the law used to be, but I'm pretty sure the OP wanted today's law....LOL :tongueout:

USMCsilver
02-02-2009, 15:09
I purchased 2 G26's at the same time in the same store and didn't have to fill out anything extra. Is this something that the store has to fill out?

Also, I understand what the law used to be, but I'm pretty sure the OP wanted today's law....LOL :tongueout:

I just wanted to give some insight into the state's history on gun laws, and how they've improved.

Yes, the store should have filled out the form. IIRC, the form became mandatory when the 1/month law was changed.

81jasonG23
02-05-2009, 11:33
1. Go to the gun store
2. Pick out your gun
3. Fillout the background check paperwork
4. The employee calls the information in
5. You get approved and walk out the door with your new gun

Yeah there are. Guns must be purchased at least 8 days apart (but you can buy multiple guns in one single visit). If they don't approve your background check on the spot they have 3 days to approve it. If they don't get a response after 3 days they have to sell it to you.

DOA33
02-05-2009, 11:41
quick question sry to hijack but I just came back from SC and talked to my great uncle about guns and he said that it was mandatory for him to reg his snubby. That any gun he bought he had to reg the gun with the state. Is this true?

81jasonG23
02-05-2009, 11:55
quick question sry to hijack but I just came back from SC and talked to my great uncle about guns and he said that it was mandatory for him to reg his snubby. That any gun he bought he had to reg the gun with the state. Is this true?

I've never heard that but I guess it's not a bad idea to keep in good standing with the law enforcement.

Carbonfly
02-05-2009, 12:43
I've never heard that but I guess it's not a bad idea to keep in good standing with the law enforcement.

How does this sound like a good idea? Registering your guns with the government is just the start of giving them a list so that when they choose to, it can be taken away from you. I know it seems innocent, but this is how it started in other countries. And now look at them.

81jasonG23
02-05-2009, 13:30
How does this sound like a good idea? Registering your guns with the government is just the start of giving them a list so that when they choose to, it can be taken away from you. I know it seems innocent, but this is how it started in other countries. And now look at them.

Point taken and I mean no offense but if the government wants to take our guns what is to stop them from taking the unregistered ones too?

Thx-1138
02-05-2009, 13:32
Point taken and I mean no offense but if the government wants to take our guns what is to stop them from taking the unregistered ones too?

Typically the bullets coming out of them.

81jasonG23
02-05-2009, 13:35
Typically the bullets coming out of them.

:rofl: good luck with that.

Carbonfly
02-05-2009, 14:25

It's no problem. I used to think the same thing as you. As far as the government knows, I own no guns for the government to come take. :whistling::steamed::tongueout: LOL

FLM
02-08-2009, 11:14
If you get your CWP, you can eliminate the background check. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a handgun if you're not a resident unless you have it shipped to a dealer in your state. I've never heard of registering guns here.

hpj3
02-18-2009, 12:55
Yeah there are. Guns must be purchased at least 8 days apart (but you can buy multiple guns in one single visit). If they don't approve your background check on the spot they have 3 days to approve it. If they don't get a response after 3 days they have to sell it to you.
-----------------------
Uh - no, they don't HAVE to - they can if they choose to.