What is your cleaning maintenance routine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is your cleaning maintenance routine

JerryVO
01-29-2009, 09:25
Like the title says, what is your cleaning and maintenance routine??

I only shoot clay so there is no hunting or bad weather for me. I clean the barrel after every session (50 - 100 rounds), but how often should I oil it and strip it and do the whole shabang.

Glocker1984
01-29-2009, 14:51
I clean all of my firearms once a month and after every use. Field Strip, Clean, remove old oil/lube, apply new lube/oil. I'm sort of a clean freak when it comes to firearms..... :wavey:

sputnik767
01-29-2009, 16:40
Like the title says, what is your cleaning and maintenance routine??

I only shoot clay so there is no hunting or bad weather for me. I clean the barrel after every session (50 - 100 rounds), but how often should I oil it and strip it and do the whole shabang.

I don't shoot it much, but I clean the barrel after every session, no matter if I shot 5 rounds or 50 rounds. I strip the gun and detail clean once or twice a year. Honestly, it's still clean inside.

old wanderer
11-14-2009, 15:50
I just returned from Cordoba, Argentina and some high volume dove hunting.

Our usual regiment was a 2.5 hour hunt in the morning and another in the afternoon. Normal shooting was 1000 rounds in the morning, and 1000+ rounds in the afternoon. I was there for 4 days. Shot 228 boxes of shells, with a 64% success rate.

The guns (A Benelli 20 ga and a Berretta O/U) were cleaned with a 5 minute cleaning at the end of the day.

I had only one malfunction in all the shooting. A failure to feed.

You may want to re-think what is necessary to keep the gun functioning.

Henry Krinkle
11-14-2009, 16:04
I clean the barrel after every visit to the range.

40 Cal Joe
11-14-2009, 18:08
Clean after each use. Detail every 3 months.

Mofeen
07-17-2010, 22:23
I have a new 870. Put about 100 rounds through it in the last 2 month. Going to disassemble and clean. I J Dewey cleaning rod. Is it OK to clean from the muzzle end? i assume so since it is a smooth bore, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

dc2integra
07-17-2010, 23:33
after every use and spray some rem oil on my shotguns bout once every 3 months

cj5mrt
07-18-2010, 09:53
If I shoot it, I clean it. Strip it down every 2-3 months.

Mike

VZ1600
07-18-2010, 10:21
I field strip and clean after every range trip. I detail strip and clean every 1000 rounds. Once a month I check and re-lube. I have followed this procedure since my first firearm purchase 16 years ago and it has always served me well.

bob_fuller
07-20-2010, 16:59
I just returned from Cordoba, Argentina and some high volume dove hunting.

Our usual regiment was a 2.5 hour hunt in the morning and another in the afternoon. Normal shooting was 1000 rounds in the morning, and 1000+ rounds in the afternoon. I was there for 4 days. Shot 228 boxes of shells, with a 64% success rate.

The guns (A Benelli 20 ga and a Berretta O/U) were cleaned with a 5 minute cleaning at the end of the day.

I had only one malfunction in all the shooting. A failure to feed.

You may want to re-think what is necessary to keep the gun functioning.

what kind of benelli, just out of curiosity?

B Coyote
07-22-2010, 03:22
Clean after each use. Detail every 3 months.

This is what I do.

bc

Big_Grumpy
07-22-2010, 08:19
I give it a field strip and cleaning about every 100 rounds or so. I also wipe down the outside whenever the parkerizing looks like it's a little thirsty. I've never detail stripped it, and I've had it for a little over a year. If I did, I'd just hit the trigger assemply with some compressed air, and that'd be about it.

zx2loon
07-22-2010, 10:31
:whistling:........haven't cleaned mine in about 200rds or so........

I've pretty much treated my Mossy 500 like a stepchild. It's had so many configurations of stocks and acessories, it has a "dress up" complex. It's been droped by idiots while other idiots want to lean it on something incorrectly. It's held up remarkably. Between me and my buddies, it's had around 1000k rounds out of it and maybe completly stripped and cleaned once. A quick spray and wipe down, a few patches down the barell has been suffecient for it. I've even ran it through a few courses without a hitch....it's never failed me. Guess I never thought of my shotgun as anything other than a cannon. It's never been considered a HD shotgun so I don't worry about it's function or looks...:dunno:

glockfan5
07-23-2010, 16:13
My cleaning routine is whenever I get around to it. IMHO, most modern firearms don't require the upkeep and maintenance compared to those of old -- or at least the ones I've chosen to buy.

GREY-GHOST
07-25-2010, 21:33
I field strip and clean after every range trip. I've had my mossberg for about a year and have not detail stripped it yet. I will probably do that soon. I bought it used and the previous owner ran it hard and put it up wet, but it has not given me one hiccup.

WoodenPlank
07-25-2010, 23:45
Cleaning? What's that?
My mossberg has not been detail stripped in over a year, and it has been a little over a year since I cleaned the bore at all. Still runs like a champ, and I have not had a SINGLE malfunction that was not operator-induced - even after two and a half years of hard use, and 1,000+ rounds of bird, buck and slug.