Please help.? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please help.?

GameCock13
01-29-2009, 15:47
Can anyone tell me what the law is if you have a firearm in your vehicle, coming from S. Carolina and going into N. Carolina? I do not have a concealed carry permit, i live in S. Carolina and travel to and through N. Carolina alot. I know that in S. Carolina i was told to have it in the console or glovebox, is it the same in N.C.? Thanks for any help

Stablefall
01-29-2009, 16:45
Go to this link and read section D on page 18. Should be fairly clear how you must transport.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

MaximaDrvr
01-29-2009, 19:48
You can not have it in your glove box.
You must do one of two things:
1. Unload it and place it in your trunk
2. Open Carry. You can place it on the passenger seat, center console(if you have one) completely uncovered, or on the dash. Some say you can carry it on your side, but that would be up to you if you want to press the law.

NCGlock23
01-30-2009, 04:26
You can not have it in your glove box.
You must do one of two things:
1. Unload it and place it in your trunk
2. Open Carry. You can place it on the passenger seat, center console(if you have one) completely uncovered, or on the dash. Some say you can carry it on your side, but that would be up to you if you want to press the law.

Ditto.

Misty02
01-30-2009, 04:45
These links should contain the information you seek. The first is actually maintained by a GT member:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
http://www.handgunlaw.us/<o:p></o:p>
http://opencarry.org/maps.html<o:p></o:p>

GameCock13
01-30-2009, 10:35
thanks

GameCock13
01-30-2009, 10:48
So i can still have it out in the open on my seat without a ccw or anything? And if so, can it be loaded or what?

NC Bullseye
01-30-2009, 12:25
So i can still have it out in the open on my seat without a ccw or anything? And if so, can it be loaded or what?

Your absolute best answer was given by Stablefall in post #2. That is directly from the NC official site. What you see there is what LE is going to base their actions on. If you don't feel comfortable with your own interpretation of what is in that doc I'd highly suggest that you consider transporting the gun in a locked container, unloaded, and in the trunk. That will almost insure that you have no issues if stopped.

Remember loaded or unloaded, if the officer sees it as a threat he will assume it's loaded. You can get shot pointing/handling an unloaded gun just as fast as one that's loaded.

You may want to print out the info given and carry it with you just in case you get stopped.

MaximaDrvr
01-30-2009, 19:58

Yes, and yes.

trugracie
02-20-2009, 01:34
So far I've been pulled over about 9 times last year, and 4 times this year with my gun fully loaded, and one in the chamber.
No problems yet.
1. Keep it on your passenger seat, or center console.

2. As soon as you see the blue lights, put it on the dash.

3. Roll down your window and let the officer know you have a loaded weapon on the dash as soon as he gets out of the cruiser.

4. Keep your hands on the wheel at all times.

5. Last but not least. Be polite, and let the officer see you are a responsable person.

I'm a contractor, and mostly work at night. I'm on the roads anywhere between 10pm and 4am, so that is the time when officers are more active due to drunk drivers.
Every time I've got pulled, I use this exact same procedure.
Officers usually thank me for letting them know. I mean, put your self in their shoes. Last thing you want to see is a gun when not expecting to.
Only once last year I was asked to get out of my vehicle, while he ran the serial.
My best advise is, DONT BE AFFRAID TO ASK!
Make phone calls, ask LEOs, and do your research.
As NC BULLSEYE posted, "print a copy of it".
By the way, get one of those phone pad thingies for your dash. You dont want your gun to slide across your dash ending up underneath your seat.
THEN you're concealing it.:shame:

Eagle22
02-20-2009, 07:29
In NC and you have a conceal carry permit, roll your window 1/2 down, place both hands on the steering wheel 10 and 2. When the officer comes up to you, tell him you have a conceal carry permit, and ( you are armed ) or ( you are not armed - if not carrying )

It is your duty to inform the LEO that you have a CCW permit when asked for ID.

The idea of the window 1/2 down IIR is that is what is being taught to LEO that if you see a drivers window 1/2 down, the occupant may have a CCW permit or open carry in the vehicle.

NC Bullseye
02-20-2009, 10:37
In NC and you have a conceal carry permit, roll your window 1/2 down, place both hands on the steering wheel 10 and 2. When the officer comes up to you, tell him you have a conceal carry permit, and ( you are armed ) or ( you are not armed - if not carrying )

The idea of the window 1/2 down IIR is that is what is being taught to LEO that if you see a drivers window 1/2 down, the occupant may have a CCW permit or open carry in the vehicle.

Just to clarify, you are not required by law to notify if you are not carrying if you have a CHP.

Not to say it's not a good idea, just not legally required.

TimNC
02-20-2009, 12:31
Just to clarify, you are not required by law to notify if you are not carrying if you have a CHP.

No, but its better you do cuz when they run your licence it will come back you have a ccw and they may think you are hiding something.

Eagle22
02-20-2009, 12:57

Thanks for the Clarification.

if they check your drivers lic, they will see you have a CHP.

trugracie
02-20-2009, 19:05

Thanks for the info Eagle22. I did not know that. :highfive:

NC Bullseye
02-20-2009, 21:08
Thanks for the Clarification.

if they check your drivers lic, they will see you have a CHP.

That's not quite true all of the time. Unless they go through the additional pages of info on the MDTs they may not know. Last time I saw a DL ran it was on the second or third page of info and depending on the reason your license is being checked the LEO may not look past the first page.

Something else to keep in mind, you are not required to even carry your CHP unless you are carrying a handgun with you concealed.

This is the same as not being required to carry a drivers license when your not driving. Most people do carry their DL with them all the time but some don't just as some CHP holders don't carry their CHP when they aren't armed.

southernreign
02-21-2009, 08:50
Can anyone tell me what the law is if you have a firearm in your vehicle, coming from S. Carolina and going into N. Carolina? I do not have a concealed carry permit, i live in S. Carolina and travel to and through N. Carolina alot. I know that in S. Carolina i was told to have it in the console or glovebox, is it the same in N.C.? Thanks for any help

I suggest you get your CCW as soon as possible.
Otherwise... get a lockbox for your gun.
OC is illegally in SC... legal in NC... so... I do not know how you avoid breaking the law at somepoint by 'leaving it on the seat'

Get a good lock box for the trunk of your car... keep your gun in there.

dimapower
02-21-2009, 20:39
Need additional clarification. I have my SC CHP. In SC or NC, can I have my handgun holstered on me while in the car?