Questions re: Joining and requirements [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: Joining and requirements

mikeg81
01-30-2009, 11:25
Hello all,

Easy to see by my title bar that I am a Canadian. I have 9 years as an Army reservist(4 as a Medic, 5 as an Artilleryman), with 1 tour in Afghanistan(might have one to the Congo later this year, we'll see how the paperwork goes).

2 questions:

1)How do you join if you are a non-US citizen?

2) I would like to fly Blackhawks/Chinooks (Dosen't everyone?) I have High School here in Ontario, Grade 12. What are the requirements to be a pilot?

Thanks.

KG Dad
01-31-2009, 21:15
I believe you need to be an officer (Warrant) to fly, although regular commissioned officers also fly occasionally. However, flying a Blackhawk may well mean flying where a security clearance is required. If so, you have to take a loyalty oath (of citizenship) I believe.

But I ain't no pilot nor a recruiter.

MJH

The Maggy
02-01-2009, 00:01
I'm not sure if you can go warrant without citizenship but you can enlist which can streamline the citizenship process if you are wanting to go that route.

CPT_CRUNCH
02-02-2009, 08:34
talk to a recruiter!

regarding being a pilot. yeah, no citizenship or college degree, you'll have to go the warrant route (not sure if you can be a warrant w/ no citizenship though). requirements are based on medical screen, asvab and gt scores, flight aptitude and you'll have to get selected by a flight board.

but for the specifics... talk to a recruiter!

also there is a thread on this army forum about high school to flight school... read through that.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903965

60Pilot
02-04-2009, 07:50
I am a Warrant and a Blackhawk pilot and you have to be a U.S. citizen, and be able to get a security clearance to become a Warrant. Like some one stated about you can still enlist in the military just not as an Officer and this will help you to stream line the process to become a U.S. citizen if that is the route you want to go.

mikeg81
02-04-2009, 11:15
Thanks for the info, guys. I emailed a recruiter thru the Army website and got the same response.