Zoo all to myself!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Zoo all to myself!!

airmotive
01-30-2009, 19:15
Those of you in the midwest know this first hand...we've had a weee bit of snow this week. So I took advantage of a day off work and took my shiny new 70-200 f/2.8L to the Indianapolis Zoo. Lo and behold, I was the only....I mean the ONLY paying customer there. I had the run of the place!

The dolphin trainers took me up onto the stage for the 10:30 dolphin show.:tongueout:
It's not really a show if the only member of the audience is also on stage....so we had a training period with the dolphins and I got to interact and take some really great shots.
All the other displays we're mine for the shooting....

You simply can't beat a deserted zoo when it comes to getting a feel for a new lens!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/airmotive/IMG_1903.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/airmotive/IMG_1880.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/airmotive/IMG_1953.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/airmotive/IMG_1787.jpg

hwyhobo
01-30-2009, 20:09
I love those meerkats. You've got a great capture there.

Fred
01-30-2009, 20:50
I love those meerkats. You've got a great capture there.

Yep, sure is. The tiger shot is pretty soft, but the meerkats and the other two are great!

MrsKitty
01-30-2009, 22:38
I love the meerkat, too.

I would love to get some one-on-one time with the dolphins like that. They are the most amazing creatures!

fgutie35
01-30-2009, 22:41
And here I thought you were going to describe the best hunt of your entire life to us.:rofl::rofl:

airmotive
01-31-2009, 06:50
Yep, sure is. The tiger shot is pretty soft, but the meerkats and the other two are great!

Ahhh...the tiger. That photo is a cry for help.

Here's the delima. I was shooting through TWO chain link fences. In order to make the fences go away, I had to use 2.8 aperature, which naturally left me with a very narrow field of focus.

I wanted to get a frontal shot of the tiger's face. The problem is, the cat would never stop pacing around. The only time I could get a good frontal shot was when he was walking towards me. The fencing prevented the AF from having a clue. So I was stuck with picking a focus point and 'spray and pray'. The picture posted here was the best of 30+ shots. :rant:

There must be a better way! However, I don't know what that is.

Any advice?:help:

FWIW, the meerkats were also shot through some pretty grungy glass, but they have the courtesy to stand still.

Fred
02-02-2009, 10:42
Ahhh...the tiger. That photo is a cry for help.

Here's the delima. I was shooting through TWO chain link fences. In order to make the fences go away, I had to use 2.8 aperature, which naturally left me with a very narrow field of focus.

I wanted to get a frontal shot of the tiger's face. The problem is, the cat would never stop pacing around. The only time I could get a good frontal shot was when he was walking towards me. The fencing prevented the AF from having a clue. So I was stuck with picking a focus point and 'spray and pray'. The picture posted here was the best of 30+ shots. :rant:

There must be a better way! However, I don't know what that is.

Any advice?:help:

FWIW, the meerkats were also shot through some pretty grungy glass, but they have the courtesy to stand still.

I am far from an expert, but can tell you that when faced with a similar situation, I use manual focus. This does a couple of things for you. It allows a smaller aperture, and keeps the auto focus from hunting trying to figure out what to focus on.

airmotive
02-02-2009, 11:13
For the tiger I had to use manual focus - due to the double fences I was shooting through. The problem I was facing was getting a really sharp focus on the tiger as he walked towards me. In the end, I just picked a focus point, and waited for the tiger to walk through that point. However, the focus plane was so narrow that getting a sharp focus proved to be beyond my skill level.

I am revisiting the manual hoping to find a setting where the camera will fire immediately upon an object coming into the spot focus point. But I am not sure this exists on the 50D.