how soon do your hunting seasons open? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how soon do your hunting seasons open?

rfb45colt
08-29-2002, 22:59
It's almost that time of year. I can start hunting in just 5 days. Early goose season begins at sunrise, on Tuesday, Sept 3rd, and ends on Sept 15th. Bag limit in my area is 3 per day. On Sat, Sept. 14th, bow-deer and grouse season open at 30 mins before sunrise. Then the regular goose season begins on Sat Sept 21st, and duck begins on Sept 28th. In 5 more days, it's the beginning of non-stop hunting action, until Jan 3rd, 2003.

When do your State's seasons open... and are you ready? Got any new "toys" for this year? I've got a new shotgun for grouse (20ga Ithaca 37), a new pistol scope on my Blackhawk for gun-deer season (Leupold EER 2x20), new Gold Tip camo graphite arrows and New Archery "shockwave" broadheads for bow hunting, and a couple of boxes of Remington's Hevi-Shot for goose/ducks. This hunting "habit" is pretty costly. :)

TriggerTripper
08-29-2002, 23:23
Not so good out here. Bow season for deer starts tomarrow. Rifle for deer, as well as duck and goose season all start the 15th of Oct. I've had buck fever for a month and the cure is still a good ways off. Oh well, at least dove season opens Sept 1st.

Best of luck!

plow78
08-30-2002, 06:08
Pennsylvania

SMALL GAME
Squirrel & Grouse--Oct 19
Rabbit Nov. 2
Pheasant Nov. 2
Quail Nov. 2

Turkey
Depending on area Nov. 2 or 4

Bear
Nov. 25 to 27

White tail Deer Buck and Doe
Nov.25 to Dec. 7

I think that about covers it

ithaca_deerslayer
08-30-2002, 09:29
NY some key dates (some variation by region):

Sept 1
--goose, squirrel

Oct 1
--grouse, rabbit, turkey, pheasant

Oct 15
--archery deer

Nov 18
--gun deer

I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait!

Michigun
08-30-2002, 09:48
rfb45colt, we got you beat in MI! We start early goose this Sunday... I'll be in UP standing next to Lake Huron doing some pass shooting that AM!:)

mpol777
08-30-2002, 10:40
i'm heading out sunday for the first day of dove season. the next few months are always the best of the year.

TriggerTripper
08-30-2002, 21:18
Hey guys, those of you that get to hunt geese in September tell me how it is. Out here we do ok when the season first opens in October, but it's all local geese. They get smart real fast and the action is only good for the first couple of weekends. Things don't really get hot until the migrations come down, Usually between the first and second weeks of December. We do best when theres some snow on the ground and the cold weather makes them a bit hungier.

bbauman
08-30-2002, 23:31
Squirrel started August 1st but waiting for a freeze before I take my son out.

Dove starts Sunday, whoohoo!

Pheasant in Nov, blackpowder deer in December, coyote as soon as it snows.

m65swede
08-31-2002, 04:44
I rarely hunt anything but deer, pheasants, and varmints. Squirrel is open now, Dove begins Sunday. Then it's October 1 for opening day of archery deer, Nov 2 pheasant opener, Nov 22 first shotgun/slug season for deer, Dec 13 for muzzleloader deer.

I'm pretty much ready to go; only need to get another dozen Gold Tip
Hunter XT's. I have ruined a few during practice sessions. Shotguns and Muzzleloaders are ready to go.

Oh yeah, coyotes are legal anytime! ;f

Swede

rfb45colt
09-01-2002, 00:54
Originally posted by Michigun
rfb45colt, we got you beat in MI! We start early goose this Sunday... I'll be in UP standing next to Lake Huron doing some pass shooting that AM!:)

We've got to wait until after Labor Day. I guess all the big-city liberal treehugging tourists might get upset at all those "cute little goosies" getting killed for food, while they're here. So... after they're gone... we can blast away. :)

vart
09-01-2002, 23:57
Bear opened today, archery for deer and elk also opened today, and so did grouse. Unfortunately, I don't get a day off until Wednesday and I have to finish building a retaining wall, anyways.