M&P .45c opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P .45c opinions?

glock4045
02-01-2009, 01:55
I'm interested in getting the .45 compact and just want to know if anyone has any input on them, good or bad? thanks

G33
02-01-2009, 04:02
Good.
Have full size.
Thinking of compact.

MSgt Dotson
02-01-2009, 07:19
I have the full size (with ambi safety levers, no mag safety) as well, and simply love it!

Feeds everything, never a bobble, and quite accurate, and shoots dead to point of aim at 15 yards with my 200 gr bullet handloads without ever even having to drift the sights!

45/70 marlin
02-01-2009, 22:24
I have four of the M&P pistols including a 45 compact.All of them are extremely reliable and very accurate too.They feed anything that I have used.Excellent pistols.

glock4045
02-01-2009, 23:05
I have four of the M&P pistols including a 45 compact.All of them are extremely reliable and very accurate too.They feed anything that I have used.Excellent pistols.

what glocks do you own, if any, and how's the trigger feel compared to the m&p .45c? and hows the recoil? I currently have a G36 for carry but really like what i have seen of the .45c but unfortunately have not had a chance to shoot it.

MSgt Dotson
02-23-2009, 20:04
The M&P's trigger is a bit crisper, and, to me anyway, might be a half-pound heavier than stock Glock trigger, at least when it is new, but, the M&P has an overtravel stop molded into the frame, and, shoots *VERY* well!

The M&P, with small backstrap installed, feels as trim in the hand as a Colt Govt, and, that is saying something!

Ghost Tracker
02-25-2009, 10:35
I haven't handled the M&P .45 compact yet, but I have shot the full size. Very fine handgun. I'm a 1911/BHP fan because the trigger reach on SA autos suits my hand better. The full size M&P with the small backstrap installed felt terrific. If the compact feels as good, I've just firmly decided on my next CCW purchase. That works out very well because my wife has recently informed me that my previous G19 is now HER new G19!

Pygmalian
03-02-2009, 13:02
Most of my handguns are S&W but when I was recently looking for a 45ACP there was no other choice in my book. Carried a Glock 22, 40cal., for years before I retired from law enforcement and when it came time to replace the one I had to turn in I stepped up to the G21SF, 45ACP. Has perfect balance and feels like it's part of my hand. It also hold 13 in the mag + one in the chamber. That's a lot of big fat bullets. 168418

fastbolt
03-02-2009, 14:23
Haven't ordered a M&P 45c yet.

I own a M&P 45 full-size w/thumb safeties. Outstanding example of a polymer-framed pistol. I was very pleasantly surprised. More than 2,400 rounds through it to date with consistently monotonous reliability and excellent accuracy.

The trigger on mine was a bit on the heavy end of the normal expected tolerance variation (M&P's have a +/- 2 lbs range according to the armorer class & manual), but it's become very smooth, consistent and predictable. Seems 'lighter', too, but I haven't checked it with the digital gauge since it was NIB. I'd describe the trigger break (after break in) as crisp for a polymer-framed service-type gun. The press has much less of what I'd categorize as the normal stacking spongy feeling of my Glocks (which are still predictable, controllable and fine for good service use, or else I wouldn't own and use them ;) ).

When it comes down to it I have an affinity for SA & TDA pistols. The Glock does well enough that I easily adapted to it consider it a fine choice for my needs for an ordinary defensive/service-type usage pistol, but I've come to like the M&P better.

Matter of fact, since I received my M&P 45 I found myself shooting it to the exclusion of my 1911's and my TDA .45's. :shocked: I finally had to make myself take one of my 1911's to the range to run a few hundred rounds through it. I just enjoy shooting the M&P 45.

I ordered a M&P 40c but haven't had the chance to shoot it, yet.

After I received my 5" SW1911SC I was considering ordering a 4 1/4" Commander-size version. I like carrying lighter guns whenever possible.

After my experience with the M&P 45 full-size, though, I'm seriously thinking that I might instead order a M&P 45c for a retirement CCW weapon. If so, it would likely cause me to mostly 'retire' my 1911's and my TDA alloy-framed .45 guns to the safe - (aside from some occasional range enjoyment, of course) - even though my CS45 & original 4513TSW are actually pretty small and handy for compact .45 guns and CCW usage.

The M&P surprised me.

I won't be ordering any more 99 series guns or Glocks (a pair of each is more than enough for my needs), but I suspect I'll end up owning more M&P's. I didn't expect that.

Give all of those that interest you a try, if it's possible to find them available for rent, and see how they do for you.

I almost didn't try a M&P.

I've written some of my more detailed thoughts about the M&P pistol line in some other threads.

Linux3
03-02-2009, 17:47
This is not going to make me popular on this forum
I bought a M&P 9MM and love it. I have kind of small hands and the small grip insert makes for a pistol that fits me just fine.
I bought a M&P .45c and I don't like it at all! I can't hit the floor with it. OK, OK, I know it's me because friends have shot it and do just great but me... I'm missing something I guess. I have a Kahr KP45 that really works for me so it isn't just .45ACP loads. It just doesn't quite fit my hand.
Can you try before you buy?

KappaAlphaASU
03-22-2009, 23:39
I have one and Ive only put about 300 rounds through it so I cant really say a whole lot about it. It feels good in my hand, but until I put more rounds through it, I probably won't carry it. Ive had a little bit of trouble finding a good holster for it. Its dementions are very close to the M&P40 as far as the slide dementions. Does anyone know if the holsters for the M&P40 will fit the M&P45C??

walkin' trails
03-26-2009, 21:05
I handled the compact but ended up buying the full sized i45 nstead. I've only put 60 rounds thru that gun, but love the way in handled. The only concern I had with the compact was that my pinky rides right on the gap between the magazine baseplate and the grip frame. On a baby Glock with Pearce extenderes it means that I have a blood blister on my pinky after a few rounds from the flexing and pinching. I will run into someone with a compact one of these days and see if it has the same problem.

fastbolt
03-27-2009, 00:13
Been too busy to run more than 150 rounds through my new M&P 40c.

First impressions?

Has less felt recoil than my other .40 S&W pistols. A bit less muzzle whip, too.

Very accurate.

The trigger feels lighter than the one in my M&P 45 (but then it's supposed to be), although I haven't taken the time to actually measure it with my digital gauge.

My medium-size hand isn't bothered by the magazine floor plate/grip junction, and the medium grip insert initially seems to provide for the best handling & shooting. It doesn't 'feel' the best when just handling the pistol, but after trying the others it makes for the fastest and most consistently accurate groupings using a couple of different techniques during live fire.

The cycling isn't as fast and brisk as my other .40 pistols (ranging from subcompact to compact to full-size, FWIW). Not sure it really has any meaning at this point because of the low number of rounds fired in only one quick range session. Might be a stout recoil spring. I could sort of compare it to shooting my Ruger KP90DC with standard pressure 230gr loads ... a 'ka-thunk' when returning to battery.

My initial range session was done with 180gr duty loads.

I like the heft, balance and overall 'feel' compared to several of my other compact/subcompact pistols.

I won't be surprised if after another couple of range sessions I find that this little M&P does indeed cause me to basically semi-permanently 'retire' the rest of my .40 S&W pistols to the safe, including my G27. ;)

The full-size M&P 45, however, is a more enjoyable 'range experience', overall, from my perspective. I may yet decide I need to add a M&P 45 Mid-size or Compact to my collection.

BuckyP
03-27-2009, 07:33
A friend of mine has one that I've shot on a few occasions. It's a nice gun. Seems about the same size as a G30 w/ 10 round mag. Shot them side by side and the recoil seemed comparable. I'm not a big fan of the hinged trigger. I tend to hit the trigger dead center, and I can sometimes feel the trigger safety nicking the frame. I'm also don't think it's as effective as the GLOCK trigger safety, so if I got one, I'd likely get one with a manual safety.

One more thing, we chrono'd both guns with HST, HST +p, and EFMJ. Ironically, the M&P was clocking 25-40 FPS faster than the GLOCK. I would have though just the opposite, due to the polygonal rifling of the GLOCK.

cowboy1964
03-28-2010, 13:39
One more thing, we chrono'd both guns with HST, HST +p, and EFMJ. Ironically, the M&P was clocking 25-40 FPS faster than the GLOCK. I would have though just the opposite, due to the polygonal rifling of the GLOCK.

Barrel on the 45C is almost 1/4" longer than the G30. That should explain most, if not all, of the difference.

BuckyP
03-28-2010, 15:55
Barrel on the 45C is almost 1/4" longer than the G30. That should explain most, if not all, of the difference.

Polygonal rifling tends to lead to higher velocities in my experience. My G17 chronos higher than my Beretta 92 and 1911 9mm, both of which have a 1/2" longer barrel. :dunno:

stumpjumper
04-07-2010, 20:33
I just picked a M&P 45c today. Mine has the thumb safety and the 8 round mags ,but does not have "45c" on the slide, just "45". Is this normal? The gun shoots great and did well side by side with my 45FS. I will have to put a Apex sear in it after its broke in.

gatorboy
04-30-2010, 18:50
I just picked a M&P 45c today. Mine has the thumb safety and the 8 round mags ,but does not have "45c" on the slide, just "45". Is this normal? The gun shoots great and did well side by side with my 45FS. I will have to put a Apex sear in it after its broke in.

My 45c does'nt have "c" on the slide either. Reason is they use the same slides on the full size frames. I have a FS w/4.5" barrel and can have four guns with just two. 4.5" on compact frame, 4" on FS frame and the way they came. Love these guns, my FS pulls nightstand duty every night loaded w/GDSB.

cowboy1964
05-06-2010, 14:44
Went to the range today with my 45c. Rented a full size 1911 (S&W) to compare to. The M&P actually was softer shooting and much more comfortable. I was expecting the all steel 1911 to be softer considering it probably weighs 8oz more. I'm getting pretty good at shooting the 45c too now. Have at least 300 rounds through her with no malfunctions. It gets pretty dirty fast but that's the ammo not the gun.

My only real gripes so far are the magazine with the extended base plate is a bit hard to load the last round into (the other magazine with the flat base plate is easier for some reason) and it's difficult to insert a full magazine into the gun with the slide closed (which is what you need to do to load it +1).

cowboy1964
05-06-2010, 14:56
Polygonal rifling tends to lead to higher velocities in my experience. My G17 chronos higher than my Beretta 92 and 1911 9mm, both of which have a 1/2" longer barrel. :dunno:

Hmm, maybe it's the ammo pressure? Polygonal barrels allow for a better seal. This may allow the higher pressure of 9mm to have more effect than the lower pressure .45ACP.