Got the electric back on but...... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got the electric back on but......

KYgundoc
02-01-2009, 10:10
I have power now but the electrician cleaned out the savings. I do have electric and cable so I guess I am better off that most now. We have a gas space heater and did not get cold without electricity. Garage was a great frig so did not lose any meat. This is making me think more about having a two week supply of food and water put back for emergencies. Any of the rest of our KY shooters back up and running yet? Let us know.
DF

SDGlock23
02-01-2009, 20:56
Not yet. I got to take a shower today, it's been six days without power. I got to go into town and power up my laptop, but it could be a while longer before we get power down here in boyle county.

Berretta9
02-02-2009, 15:28
Only had the power flicker a time or two. Real sprry for some of my friends who went a few days without it. Dean, why did you need an electrician ??

KYgundoc
02-02-2009, 15:38
The tree that hit the lines tore the service off the side of the house.

Berretta9
02-02-2009, 18:23
That would do it. Sorry

JFK777
02-09-2009, 07:19
I have a house in Hardin County. But we are currently in Germany. E-Town was out for about 2 1/2 weeks. They're back online, wife talked to her girlfriend 3 nites ago.

sarge83
02-09-2009, 08:31
In 1988 we had a tornado come through our town and it knocked a tree down which glanced off the side of my Dad's business and ripped out the utility lines.

The phone company put their lines back in that day, however the wonderful KU refused saying he had to upgrade the box for the third and second floor of the bldg. To be fair the boxes were installed on those floors were from 1901. $600 later power was turned on again.

CJStudent
02-09-2009, 17:20
I've been out in western KY (Muhlenburg, McLean, and Daviess counties) with the Guard the past week and a half dealing with this. Muhlenburg got hit pretty hard, but from what I saw is mostly functional. Same with Daviess County. McLean may be down for a while. As of two or three days ago (I don't even remember which day it is right now; just got home), most telephone poles I saw were either snapped in half there, or hand the heads snapped off. Wires down all over the day place; absolutely nuts. People varied from a guy who had a 30KW generator powering everything in his house to people that couldn't even keep warm, or have food or water. To top it all off, most of the initial food FEMA gave us to give out had possibly contaminated peanut butter in it. Talk about a crap sandwich.

KYMike
02-10-2009, 18:39
I sure hope the storms tomorrow don't get as bad as they're saying. Folks need a break to get the recovery done. More outages sure won't help.

They're saying the downed and weakened branches could become missiles if we get those 50mph gusts. Be careful out there, y'all.

erichodges
02-19-2009, 19:57
it got real crapy here in Bardstown...hellacious out in Lebanon Junction

seanmcp
03-01-2009, 19:09
I know I'm way late on this, but work's been nuts lately, in no small part due to weather around the areas we have datacenters.

When I built our new house last spring, I put in a whole-house natural gas generator (13 kW) and an automatic transfer switch. The only things in the house not covered by it are the electric oven, electric dryer, and Christy's whirlpool tub (and in a pinch I can get it on there *grin*). Microwave, fridge &freezers, all the lgihts, furnace and HVAC are all covered. I can't say enough good about these units. We had no power from Ike from that Sunday till Thursday and it ran great the entire time. After Ike, I just swapped filters for a few bucks and it was ready to go again. Worked well for another long run for the ice storm and then again for the storms a few days after it. It costs less per hour to run than a gas powered one, no lines to run, and it's bigger, to boot. Plus, if I'm out of town, Christy doesn't have to do a thing.

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to buzz me. No, I don't sell them and I'm not related to anyone that does, but I do manage datacenters for a living, and generators are obviously a part of what I do there, and that translates to my home life :)

CJStudent
03-03-2009, 11:29
I know I'm way late on this, but work's been nuts lately, in no small part due to weather around the areas we have datacenters.

When I built our new house last spring, I put in a whole-house natural gas generator (13 kW) and an automatic transfer switch. The only things in the house not covered by it are the electric oven, electric dryer, and Christy's whirlpool tub (and in a pinch I can get it on there *grin*). Microwave, fridge &freezers, all the lgihts, furnace and HVAC are all covered. I can't say enough good about these units. We had no power from Ike from that Sunday till Thursday and it ran great the entire time. After Ike, I just swapped filters for a few bucks and it was ready to go again. Worked well for another long run for the ice storm and then again for the storms a few days after it. It costs less per hour to run than a gas powered one, no lines to run, and it's bigger, to boot. Plus, if I'm out of town, Christy doesn't have to do a thing.

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to buzz me. No, I don't sell them and I'm not related to anyone that does, but I do manage datacenters for a living, and generators are obviously a part of what I do there, and that translates to my home life :)

I was looking hard-core at those for my parent's house after the ice storm, but it'll be a while before they or I could scrap up the cash for it.