super hog bowl: noway 1 hog 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : super hog bowl: noway 1 hog 4

noway
02-01-2009, 23:52
1st off this season has been bad.

We are in a drought, grass is bone dry, water is next to nada. Deer season ended about 3 weekends back, and I only seen like 1 legal buck during my pursuit for vension ;)

So, the next best thing on Florida menu as far as game goes, HOG. I seen plenty of hogs and have had plenty of hog action for this year. I 've seen hog during all of our earlier seasons. I shot at them (2) in muzzleloader season and wasn't able to track or recover my hit.

I shot at one during the 1st week of general gun, and I wasn't able to recover it either.

I shot at one during mid part of general gun with a muzzleloader, and had ZERO outcome.

Now the story:

This morning, I tracked out to my favorite public hunting zone with the intentions of bagging some pork.

Early AM, it was cold, very little wind, but just cold. I sat up in the brush at the edge and sat at this sport for about 2 hours. All I saw where just one turkey that sneaked on by and one squirrel.

About 9:20AM I started a stalk and walk. I round my favorite clearing that noted for hogs and saw zero. I decided to hit the dog fennel patches that are intermingle with oak hammocks. No sooner than I round this oak hammock, I hear the tell tale ruffles of weed/sticks/brush. Oh what could this be..... A deer, a cow , a squirrel , a armadillo,no.....wait .......it's a hog.

I had this strange all brown hog stumble right out the brush. This hog was maybe 15yards away. I could have wait for him to walk even closer but I wasn't sure on how his noses or eye-sight was, so I shot at this hog with a 12ga loaded with 00B Hevishot. The hog squeal and ran back into the cover. I waited a whole 30mins, and during this wait I was counting up my bacon and bits ;)

After 30mins of wait, I started my track. I went to area the hog was last standing at and where he ran into the cover at. No blood.

I widen my circle, once again no blood. The cover was thick and had a lot of palms laying on the ground ( great for showing blood ), but the more I circle around, the more disappointed , that not one drop of blood. Neigh, Zilch, Nada, Arimasen, nothing .......:steamed:

Man I know I couldn't miss a hog standing broadside at maybe 15-17yards with 00B and a shotgun.

After 90mins of looking and looking , I gave up.

partB:

Well after a midday siesta , i head back out. Different area but built similar. Dried dog fennels and border oak hammocks.

Well my legal shooting windows was slowly evaporating away. They only cool thing for this evening was the wind was about 0mph. Out of the blue, I had a one single black hog, materialize right in front of my eyes. He was silent, never heard him and only seem him when he was maybe 30yards away. I let him walk a little farther out of the cover and once he was 15yards or so from the edge line, I lit him up.

One single round of hevishot 00B fired from a modified choke benelli M1Field = one dead hog. Hog maybe ran 3 yards and flopped over and twitch for about 40secs.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/hog_bowl.jpg

Shot hit square in the left shoulder. That meat is bloodshot for sure. I've haven't performed my buckshot recovering since I was late getting back in and it was just becoming dark.

Now the score is one up for noway ;)

CanyonMan
02-02-2009, 12:11
Good hunting noway... If anyone deserves it Hoss, you do !
I knew you'd come up with meat in the frig before it was all over. ;)

Are ya goin out again, or callin it quits and stayin home to eat ribs?
Either way, CONGRATS !

Happy eatin my friend. Good job.

CanyonMan

noway
02-02-2009, 13:41
Thanks, this year kinda been like a Chicago Bears loosing season. Nothing has been going right and hogs seems to be immune to projectile or maybe they grew a bullet proof fur liner ;)

CanyonMan
02-02-2009, 17:13
Thanks, this year kinda been like a Chicago Bears loosing season. Nothing has been going right and hogs seems to be immune to projectile or maybe they grew a bullet proof fur liner ;)

LOL....

Well Pard. This one in the pick lost his armor if he ever had any ! ;)

What cuts are you makin the "most" of out of him?

CM

noway
02-02-2009, 19:29
LOL....

Well Pard. This one in the pick lost his armor if he ever had any ! ;)

What cuts are you makin the "most" of out of him?

CM

This hog is going to be grounded up after chillin for 4 days. So thurs he goes under the final knife and by Sunday I plan on rolling pork/beef sausage with seasonings I picked up in Tx.

I'm rolling my special seasons/spices with dice onions and maybe jalapenos. Haven't decided yet.

CanyonMan
02-02-2009, 19:55
This hog is going to be grounded up after chillin for 4 days. So thurs he goes under the final knife and by Sunday I plan on rolling pork/beef sausage with seasonings I picked up in Tx.

I'm rolling my special seasons/spices with dice onions and maybe jalapenos. Haven't decided yet.

Dad Gone ! Texas seasonings eh! Jalapenos eh! I know you invited me down there a long time ago, but would 'now" be a good time to come ?? :grill: :supergrin:

Man, I'm droolin on the key board ! ;)

Sounds good Pard !
Good eatin to ya!

CanyonMan

noway
02-15-2009, 23:21
Follow up, to give you an ideal as to how hevishot which is heavier and harder than regular lead and penetrates much farther than regular buckshhot

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/hevishot.jpg

The above was a full penetration with at least 5 out of 9 buck passing thru the hog at maybe 27yards away. I never recovered any buck and both shoulder meat was blood shot.

CanyonMan
02-16-2009, 19:53
Follow up, to give you an ideal as to how hevishot which is heavier and harder than regular lead and penetrates much farther than regular buckshhot

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/hevishot.jpg

The above was a full penetration with at least 5 out of 9 buck passing thru the hog at maybe 27yards away. I never recovered any buck and both shoulder meat was blood shot.

Bro, I am impressed with the photo.... Good work !
Man the buck did its job to be sure. I think folks don't realize sometimes, just how hard hitting and effective buck can be.....

Good job noway
Nice shooting/hunting bud.

CanyonMan