Glock 21 and concealed carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 and concealed carry

biggun1911
02-05-2009, 08:28
I just purchased a glock 21sf and I am considering using it for concealed carry. Do many of you carry the 21 and is it difficult to conceal?

CanyonMan
02-05-2009, 20:23
I just purchased a glock 21sf and I am considering using it for concealed carry. Do many of you carry the 21 and is it difficult to conceal?

Yep, I carry it sometimes when not carrying the 1911. Nope, no concealment problems. It is a cinch to conceal with a Galco half harness shoulder rig, and Galco jackass holster. I'll never use a hip holster agian for carry.

Good luck

CanyonMan

Alliance50
02-06-2009, 05:55
I carry a glock 21 24/7 365 days a year. Covers up in the summer with just T's and jeans. I carry a 1911 for a month or so and go back to the g21 and it's like feather compared to the 1911. But I love 1911's and need to carry one every now and then.:rofl: I now have started to carry a 1911 even more than the glock21. But still carry the 21 without a problem.

ISOM
02-06-2009, 08:19
I CCW the 21. It's easy during the winter with jackets and heavy/hiding clothes.
In warm weather you need a HIGH RISE holster and long untucked shirts to cover the gun, etc.

coyote_glock22
02-06-2009, 20:03
I carry my G21SF in a sidearmor IWB holster. I'm 5'10", 150 pounds. Hides fine with a loose shirt. It's not that big!

hopeitsfast
02-06-2009, 20:14
All year round in a MTAC.

Maine1
02-06-2009, 20:27
both the g-20 and 21, in fact, in a Supertuck. Works well, and i am carrying an effective gun that I shoot well, not something based on convienience.

biggun1911
02-07-2009, 08:31
Thanks for the information. I am going to give a try.

armybass
02-09-2009, 20:00
I carry a G21 in the small of my back in a left handed Uncle Mikes Neoprene IWB holster. Never had a problem with CCW. But I am a big fat guy:supergrin:

High_Sierra
02-10-2009, 21:48
I am a small guy (5' 6'' ... 160lbs) and I carry my G21sf OWB all the time in a Galco concealment holster. I have had zero problems with it what so ever, and it conceals very well with just a t-shirt (disappears completely with a Hawaiian style shirt). I carry the G21sf any time I am wearing jeans or pants .... but with shorts I carry my G30sf.

JonInWA
02-17-2009, 14:31
I have had excellent, comfortable results with Blade-Tech's IWB holster. For an OWB holster, frankly the inexpensive Glock Sport/Combat holster is excellent.

For magazine pouches, I prefer Wilderness, Bianchi (for IDPA/double magazine pouch, their open top Accumold model), or simply the inexpensive Glock magazine pouch.

Best, Jon

coltm4a3
02-18-2009, 22:21
I find the glock 20/21 to be just too big for me to comfortably carry, if I want high-cap .45 I carry my para P13 limited (13+1 rounds) or my G38 (.45 gap).

Bottom line is the 20/21 is a very large handgun, and certainly not the easiest to conceal... but it obviously can be done, it certainly depends on your personal ability to hide it and be comfortable with it while sitting/walking around in everyday situations.

Congrats to all you that can conceal the 20/21 effectively and also comfortably... If I could get used to it, I would carry it also. It's just not for me.

OgenRwot
02-18-2009, 22:31
My brother tried to do this and he's 6'7 close to 300 pounds. It didn't work too well for him and he ended up getting a 19. Unless you already dress overly baggy it can be difficult. My brother didn't want to change dress style because people would have noticed so he opted for the smaller pistol. It's not impossible, but it's not exactly easy. Again, my brother is no small man and he had issues.

I carried my 21 (regular, not SF) OWB under a sweatshirt and it wasn't pretty. I too have the 19 for my daily carry weapon.

Jogitu
02-18-2009, 22:34
+1 CTAC or MTAC. Will tuck away just fine.

Alliance50
02-19-2009, 04:58
My brother tried to do this and he's 6'7 close to 300 pounds. It didn't work too well for him and he ended up getting a 19. Unless you already dress overly baggy it can be difficult. My brother didn't want to change dress style because people would have noticed so he opted for the smaller pistol. It's not impossible, but it's not exactly easy. Again, my brother is no small man and he had issues.

I carried my 21 (regular, not SF) OWB under a sweatshirt and it wasn't pretty. I too have the 19 for my daily carry weapon.

I'm really sorry to hear you have a hard time with a 21 it's a great gun.
I carry a 21 sf and some full size 1911"s.
I use owb holsters and jeans and t's, conceals fine I have never been made.
I'm now 6ft 240 LBs.:dunno:

Raven-glk21
02-27-2009, 01:17
Just traded my 19 for a 21 (not SF). No problems so far. Using a Galco Matrix for when I am working in a suit and a Blade Tech IWB while on surveillance or off with family. I am 6'00" 200lb. Will let you know if I go back to my beloved 19....

BroknPrism
03-07-2009, 11:01
My only guns are standard G21s. I only have to manage and train with one caliber, and in a maximum performance sidearm at that. I have a Blackhawk IWB that was designed for an XD, and it fits the 21 like a glove, but IWB takes the slack out of my 30" waistband and I don't want to change the pants (by wearing 31") to fit the gun. I just ordered a Ross Leather M12S Askins-style; lined, high ride, open top, and canted, which will put it in the same place, but outside.

If Glock made a G19/G23-proportioned .45 ACP, I'd buy it, but I don't want to chase GAP ammo around town when ACP is hard enough to find.

M4G's
03-10-2009, 20:49
definately not easy depending on how your shaped. at 5' 9' 240 lbs. it works for me. I would'nt even consider bringing a 21sf along if it was'nt for the "clipdraw" I swear by this little metal clip. works great with or without a belt. it won't come loose in a wrestling match. the gun , not the clipdraw. eliminating a holster has been a great thing. I can't see how anyone can conceal a 21 in any holster but appearently it's done alot. i'm going to a 30 soon. is there anyone out there that has given the clipdraw a second look. seems i hear nothing about them. i can't be the only one using this thing. i mean this is a great product for a beefy rig like a 21. with a 30 i'm gonna feel naked. It really brings the profile of the hip carry down to a minimum.I keep it between 2 and 3 o'clock. no i don't work for clipdraw.

Glockphobia
03-14-2009, 06:33
i think there are three factors in whether or not a gun is concealable

1. a good belt
2. a good holster
3. how long one has been carrying

and to elaborate on #3, when i first started carrying, i thought carrying a little .38 was like trying to hide a basketball, then as i got comfortable, moved up to a g19 then a g22, and now a g21. what im saying is, the longer/more experience you have in carrying, the less you are concerned about "zero" printing.:wavey:

Bassman1985
03-16-2009, 22:59
I carry my 21 in a Don Hume 715 IWB at about 3:30. Wearing an untucked Hawaiian shirt that's about a size too large helps. To help avoid printing, a shirt with a pattern is a great asset. Does a great job of breaking up the outline of the grip and the back of the slide. In winter with a jacket on over the shirt, nobody will have a clue until I clear leather that it's even there. The first time I carried when I went home to visit the folks, I unholstered for my dad and his exact words were "Where the hell did THAT come from?" He's been looking into CCW back in TX, but he's worried about concealing his Beretta 92FS. I gave him a few pointers on CCW with a service pistol.

And for the record, I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs. Concealment is also much easier if your gut doesn't stick out further than your chest. That tends to make the weapon stick out at odd angles.

AJSully421
03-20-2009, 05:58
Of all my glocks, my G21 is my EDC. I carry either in a C-tac, or in a phantom with a TLR-1 on it. I never wear just a t-shirt. But I can hide this under any "polo" style shirt or button down. This weekend it will be hiding under a tucked in Boy Scout shirt with no problems. I love the G21!

ETA: I'm 6'4 220 lbs. I carry at 3:00, and cant the grip so that is runs up along my love handle, not out the back. Also get comments from the family out at the ranch... "where you been hiding that big 'ole thing?" :supergrin:

SDGlock23
03-20-2009, 12:55
I use a Don Hume H721 OT for practically all my leather OWB holsters. It works very well with the big G20/G21 also, and I highly recommend it!

Glock 21 SF
03-21-2009, 09:01
I use my Glock 21 SF for duty and off duty for both works well !

OldArcher
05-26-2010, 22:20
I'm 5'6", and am down from 248 to 183. My size 48 short sports coats, wind breakers, and parkas all are roomy enough for my Gen 3 G21 and/or Gen 3 G30. Much lighter than my former 1911s, and certainly lighter than my Beretta M9A1s or 92F Inox.

Of the three types, my Glocks are the lightest, best natural pointers (for me, and I have small hands), and have a "feel" that surpasses any other handguns I've ever owned- including a long gone P08...

Had to hit 60, to get back to the Glocks I shouldn't have traded away at 50... Won't leave again, nope, not ever...

Oh, and how are these beauties carried? The G21 goes in a Bianchi belt slide with trigger lock; the G30 rides in a Bianchi 7/7L pancake holster; and both ride in Lg Blackhawk fanny packs. The G30 sometimes rides in a Fobus Tactical holster, wearing a M6X, and a thread protector on it's threaded LWD barrel...

I'm always on the look for better ways to carry, and will probably go back to West Wood's Landing for a specialized series of rigs... They're found here, and are, to my formerly military mind, "the best bang for the buck" in carrying gear... They're found here:

http://www.wwlholsters.com/

I've had them make holsters from Beretta 92Fs to Taurus' Judge, to Ruger Super RedHawks, to Ruger Super Blackhawks... That includes multiple configurations from single OWBs, to double shoulder holsters, and chest holsters. As good as most will ever need, and then some...

Hope this helps...

OldArcher, out...

toddnjoy
06-09-2010, 21:18
I use my Glock 21 SF for duty and off duty for both works well !

Me too

TedG954
06-10-2010, 08:56
I carry a glock 21 24/7 365 days a year. Covers up in the summer with just T's and jeans. I carry a 1911 for a month or so and go back to the g21 and it's like feather compared to the 1911. But I love 1911's and need to carry one every now and then.:rofl: I now have started to carry a 1911 even more than the glock21. But still carry the 21 without a problem.

When you roll over in bed at night, doesn't it stick into your sides. I think that would wake me up.

:faint:

Jim S.
06-15-2010, 19:17
I carry a 21SF in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
A good belt and the CBS make it comfortable and very concealable.
I carry it at 3:00 low in the waistband and some forward cant.
It covers with a loose t-shirt and a if I need more security a light shirt over the t works great.

Backfire
07-05-2010, 18:26
It was 101 degrees in NY today and I tested my new Blade Tech Nano IWB kydex holster with my standard G21 on a shopping and dining out busy day. Size large (normal for me) Hawaiian shirt, cotton L.L. Bean slacks and a gun belt from CompTac. I'm 5'9", 210 lbs.

Concealment was perfect - no printing at all and there were times during the day when I was not conscious of the gun. I think I looked good (loud patterned shirt worn outside the pants of course) and was as comfortable as one can be with the G21 hand cannon. CCW'ing a full size .45 does give one a certain "confidence" that's a little "different" from carrying a smaller gun, even if it's purely psychological.

I highly recommend the Nano or the MTAC for the big gun. In extreme heat I find all that MTAC leather backing traps some heat and makes a miserably hot day a little harder to take.

Using a real gun belt is EXTREMELY important with a large pistol - it really increases your comfort.

MSgt Dotson
07-06-2010, 03:08
If Glock made a G19/G23-proportioned .45 ACP, I'd buy it, but I don't want to chase GAP ammo around town when ACP is hard enough to find.

Compare the Glock 30 with the Glock 19/23 side by side sometime...

Alliance50
07-08-2010, 03:40
When you roll over in bed at night, doesn't it stick into your sides. I think that would wake me up.

:faint:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Actually it doesn't bother me to much when I roll over at night, however it does hit the wife and she'll wake up say and oh honey!!!:supergrin:

Todesengel
07-14-2010, 20:54
G21SF in Nick Matthews #1 IWB Holster & OWB Single mag pouch with a Comp-tac kydex reinforced leather belt. No problems concealing it in this Houston, TX heat. The Glock is lighter then a full size 1911 but also thicker. I carry the G21SF 99% of the time.

DHart
08-27-2010, 21:04
I carry a G30 most of the time, but lately have been carrying the 21SF some. Not difficult to do. The G30 is a bit more compact, but either one can be carried concealed if done properly. Usually I carry appendix carry, sometimes at 4 o'clock. Always with a high noon mister softy.

shogun1975
09-04-2012, 22:52
I am a big fat guy and I carry a Glock 21. The concealment system that works the best for me is the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. This gun literally disappears on me when I carry in the appendix position all the way to the 3 'o clock position. I wear mainly cargo shorts or jeans and typically a polo shirt. I can even tuck my shirt in with this system and still quite hard to spot. Now I am not saying this thing is for everyone but, I love it. just my two cents worth I guess. :supergrin:

shogun1975
09-15-2012, 14:14
definately not easy depending on how your shaped. at 5' 9' 240 lbs. it works for me. I would'nt even consider bringing a 21sf along if it was'nt for the "clipdraw" I swear by this little metal clip. works great with or without a belt. it won't come loose in a wrestling match. the gun , not the clipdraw. eliminating a holster has been a great thing. I can't see how anyone can conceal a 21 in any holster but appearently it's done alot. i'm going to a 30 soon. is there anyone out there that has given the clipdraw a second look. seems i hear nothing about them. i can't be the only one using this thing. i mean this is a great product for a beefy rig like a 21. with a 30 i'm gonna feel naked. It really brings the profile of the hip carry down to a minimum.I keep it between 2 and 3 o'clock. no i don't work for clipdraw.

I really like the clipdraw concept only not with a glock... to many things can interfere with the trigger. I guess if you didn't keep a round in the chamber it is great!!! I seriously looked at the clipdraw and the mic holster two great systems that would work great together. THEN I found the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2... I love this thing I have posted about it elsewhere. For $40 bucks it is like the clipdraw and mic combined. Please check them out if you get the chance. It is good for EDC but not a great range holster...

vaquero aleman
10-12-2012, 10:30
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Guns%20and%20Ammo/26-1.jpg

Glock sport and combat holster(ambi) $12.99 at midwayusa.com.
Glock sport and combat magazine pouch(ambi) $9.99 at midway.
OD Green Glock 21 - Good Luck!

Aclarion
07-28-2013, 12:42
I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC adjusted to the forward cant and it is practically un-noticable with a t-shirt. I am 6-1 220lbs.

SD Handgunner
07-29-2013, 07:02
I carry a both a G30SF or a G21SF at times in a DeSantis Intruder Hybrid Inside the Waistband Holster in about the 4 O'clock position. I am 6'2" at 280lbs. I generally wear jeans and a 3x tee shirt in the summer. I have been on all day outings with my family and no one knew I had it on me.

Yes the G21SF is a large handgun but as has been stated a lot lighter than a 1911. I fully understand the comment about the leather trapping heat when it is hot and humid outside. I lined the back of my Holster with the fuzzy stick on Velcro. It seemed to help a little but it still gets hot.

Larry

AWMP
08-07-2013, 16:26
Agree with the below, I have several drawers of holsters to prove I have tried just about everything at least once, heck many several times.

[QUOTE=Glockphobia;12506241]i think there are three factors in whether or not a gun is concealable

1. a good belt
2. a good holster
3. how long one has been carrying

ranger1968
08-07-2013, 16:29
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Guns%20and%20Ammo/26-1.jpg

Glock sport and combat holster(ambi) $12.99 at midwayusa.com.
Glock sport and combat magazine pouch(ambi) $9.99 at midway.
OD Green Glock 21 - Good Luck!

Oh man, please, for you and the folks who care for you, find another carry position; that's a serious, even crippling, spine injury waiting to happen.:crying:

vaquero aleman
08-09-2013, 04:01
Oh man, please, for you and the folks who care for you, find another carry position; that's a serious, even crippling, spine injury waiting to happen.:crying:

I do appreciate your concern. But, even though I have considered/researched the "one in the chamber" debate many times, I have always carried with the chamber empty.

I have never felt that it was completely safe any other way. Besides, I watched the video of the "trained police officer" shooting himself in the foot in front of the children.

Consequently, when I am at the range, my practice includes the careful draw and chambering of my pistol just prior to aiming and firing at my intended target.

I am not offering any opinion regarding the "one in the chamber" debate, that is just the way I do it.

vaquero aleman
08-09-2013, 04:09
Compare the Glock 30 with the Glock 19/23 side by side sometime...

Agree... I carry mine with a KKM 4 3/8 barrel.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Glock%2029SF/b235a0d1-33fa-4605-9aba-d9270cc799be_zps5e10639e.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/vaqueroaleman/media/Glock%2029SF/b235a0d1-33fa-4605-9aba-d9270cc799be_zps5e10639e.jpg.html)

ranger1968
08-09-2013, 08:09
I do appreciate your concern. But, even though I have considered/researched the "one in the chamber" debate many times, I have always carried with the chamber empty.

I have never felt that it was completely safe any other way. Besides, I watched the video of the "trained police officer" shooting himself in the foot in front of the children.

Consequently, when I am at the range, my practice includes the careful draw and chambering of my pistol just prior to aiming and firing at my intended target.

I am not offering any opinion regarding the "one in the chamber" debate, that is just the way I do it.

Uh.....

I wasn't talking about you having a round in the chamber or not;

I was talking about you having a chunk of steel pressed against your spine that is going to paralyze you and leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life when you slip and fall carrying your pistol there;

This is a real concern, and it had happened ; it used to happen a lot more , back when most cops used to carry their handcuffs in that same spot; that's why most of the time now, you see them carrying their cuffs elsewhere on their belt;

In the last several years, with more and more people getting carry permits, the number of spinal injuries from people carrying small of the back and then falling has increased;

It's one of those things that simply not worth the risk.

Please, for your own sake, find another carry position.

xmanhockey7
08-10-2013, 06:24

For your own safety you'd probably be better off carrying one in the chamber, but different strokes for different folks. As far as carry position goes I do agree that that position can be bad if you were to slip and fall on your back. Not as bad (seemingly) if it's OWB, but you really should be aware. Last winter when I was getting out of my truck my first steps were on pure ice and I feel flat on my back. Something that could easily happen to anyone and maybe would have crippled had I been carrying SOB. Of course like I said different strokes for different folks if you don't have an issue with it go for it.

TangoFoxtrot
08-17-2013, 19:04

In winter easy the summer is harder. Body type matters too.