Guns in parking area of Daytona race [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guns in parking area of Daytona race

Dalton Wayne
02-05-2009, 14:15
I am going to the Bud shootout this Saturday can I keep my gun locked in the glovebox of my truck in the handicapped parking area, I know I can't have it on me during the race or on the grounds but what about parking? :cool:
Regards
DW

Palmguy
02-05-2009, 14:17
That should be fine.

South Fla
02-05-2009, 14:23
I am going to the Bud shootout this Saturday can I keep my gun locked in the glovebox of my truck in the handicapped parking area, I know I can't have it on me during the race or on the grounds but what about parking? :cool:
Regards
DW

The powers at be might tell us otherwise, but I think the parking area is an extension of "the grounds" of the speedway. If you parked on another property, you might be OK, but if it is DIS property, that might be an "iffy".

Dalton Wayne
02-05-2009, 14:35
It is DIS property will be parked right in front of start finish line in the handicapped area. Travel to and from race to home is about 180 miles I just hate to travel without some protection. :cool:

BTW if anyone else is going to be there we will be tailgating let me know if you want to meet up will be sitting at the start finish line a few rows up from the track, have good parking and great seats will have the grill going about 15:00 hrs. :cool:
Regards
DW

rvrctyrngr
02-05-2009, 16:05
The powers at be might tell us otherwise, but I think the parking area is an extension of "the grounds" of the speedway. If you parked on another property, you might be OK, but if it is DIS property, that might be an "iffy".

Not sure what you mean by the 'grounds' being iffy. The statute precludes 'professional sporting events'. The 'event' isn't taking place in the parking lot.

The spirit of the statute (legislatitive intent) is to keep concealed weapons out of the stadiums/arenas, etc... during such events, not to keep lawfully possessed weapons out of cars in the parking facilities.

South Fla
02-05-2009, 18:39
Not sure what you mean by the 'grounds' being iffy. The statute precludes 'professional sporting events'. The 'event' isn't taking place in the parking lot.

The spirit of the statute (legislatitive intent) is to keep concealed weapons out of the stadiums/arenas, etc... during such events, not to keep lawfully possessed weapons out of cars in the parking facilities.

Whatever, what do I know...:dunno:

VOTIVE
02-06-2009, 07:55
If you can't bring it in, you can leave it in your vehicle.

Same for any other event, government building or where members of government gather, ie hotel etc..

Dalton Wayne
02-06-2009, 21:16
:bump:

brboyer
02-06-2009, 22:31
:bump:

As that bitter, clinging, gator lover up there said: 790.06 does not authorize you to carry at the event.

But that statute covers concealed carry on (or about) your person - it makes no reference to carry in a vehicle. So it has no bearing on the legality of carrying in your car.

Now, 790.25(5) speaks to carry of a weapon in a car. Any person, not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms in Florida, 18 years or older can carry a gun in the glove box, console, in a snapped holster, etc. - no license required. There are no restrictions here. (Caveat: There is one statute potentially restricting car carry on school property, but that is the only one I'm aware of.)

So carry away (in the car at the speedway) and enjoy yourself.

790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Parasite
02-07-2009, 08:48
am I the only one concerned that you just told someone exactly where to steal a weapon?

brboyer
02-07-2009, 09:14
am I the only one concerned that you just told someone exactly where to steal a weapon?

Yes.....

FlaChef
02-07-2009, 11:47
do you know how many trucks are going to be in the handicapped section of that parking lot?
probably about 3 more than there are handicapped spots:shocked:and as it is a nascar event one would assume there is an average of 3.2 guns in each (the guy with 7 will balance out the one weirdo without any). However parking is monitored there, and i've not heard of any great rash of break ins.

jmiley
02-07-2009, 11:57

You can't carry a gun into a courthouse or a police station but you can leave it in your car.

brboyer
02-07-2009, 13:31
do you know how many trucks are going to be in the handicapped section of that parking lot?
probably about 3 more than there are handicapped spots:shocked:and as it is a nascar event one would assume there is an average of 3.2 guns in each (the guy with 7 will balance out the one weirdo without any). However parking is monitored there, and i've not heard of any great rash of break ins.

:rofl:

rugerp95
03-01-2009, 14:29
thet just passed a law a few months ago that covers this if you have a ccw permit you can leave you gun in your locked car
www.myflorida.com (http://www.myflorida.com) check the statutes it was called
guns in car at work bill it also covers public access parking lots

brboyer
03-02-2009, 19:14
thet just passed a law a few months ago that covers this if you have a ccw permit you can leave you gun in your locked car
www.myflorida.com (http://www.myflorida.com) check the statutes it was called
guns in car at work bill it also covers public access parking lots

That bill addresses employment (like getting fired for having a gun in your car at work) issues. It's been legal in Florida for 20+ years to keep a gun in your car almost anywhere in the State - with or without a CWFL.