Any women here hunt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any women here hunt?

Nebrcowgirl
02-05-2009, 17:06
Being from cattle county,most of the women here hunt.Most all have more then one gun,and we like to get together and discuss our hunting trips after the season is over. We like to laugh, so we like to tell our funniest moments.Have any good stories?

Mrs. Tink
02-05-2009, 20:28
My husband and I are first-timers (we went on an elk hunt in Oct, but didn't fill our tags). We stayed in a bare-bones cabin community on Vallecito Lake in southern Colorado, no phones, no TV, no internet, etc. The guys who were taking us are a father-son team who know everything and are really good.

We got to the cabin at about 9 pm on a Wednesday night, and they wanted to come get us at 4:00 am. So we are up and ready at 4:00 am. 4:15... 4:30... 4:45, nothing. We got back into bed because our heater was broken. (In October. Nice.)

They finally show up at 5:15. Turns out they didn't remember where our cabin was, but they didn't have our phone number, so they drove BACK to their cabin (about 20 minutes away) to retrieve their laptop, drove around some more until they could poach some wireless internet, and then looked up our cabin location.

And that was the day that they saw three elk--BEFORE sunrise. We didn't see a single other elk for the entire five-day trip!

I don't know if that's funny, but I guess I don't have too many stories yet. :)

Nebrcowgirl
02-07-2009, 01:27
:faint:Ohh so sorry to hear that, try a outfitter in the Meeker or Craig area,lots of elk there in the high county.

BackCountry
02-07-2009, 17:23
My daughter has been hunting small game since age 8. This year, at age 12, she was finally able to hunt big game. She spent several weeks chasing elk and we saw them every day. She had a cow tag and had multiple shots on good 5X and 6X bulls. During her hunt she only had two brief shots on cows - 20 seconds or less and one shot at 385 yds that I wouldn't let her take. Yes she was furious, and could have probably made the shot, but I want her first kill to be very clean and quick. She out hiked all the men at camp, was the first one up at 3:30 or 4:00 am and the last in. Averaging 10+ miles per day with a pack and gun and climbing 5,000+ vertical feet each day. She is hooked on big game hunting. Now that it is winter, all the elk are down by the house in the valley and she sees 100+ right on the side of the road on the way to school every day. She is still stewing over the fact that she didn't get her elk. She did pack out 2 5X5's and help butcher 6 elk this fall. Her friends and teachers are getting sick of the fact that all she talks about anymore is hunting. When asked what she is going to do when Ski Season ends, her reply is "prairie dog season starts the day I finish skiing." She sure is a great hunting companion.

My wife also hunts when she has the time, hopefully her schedule will improve in the next couple of years to get back into it as much as the rest of the family. She wants to try and take a turkey with a bow this spring. I hope she gets the opportunity.

Mrs.Cicero
02-12-2009, 20:28
mmm. I've killed more deer with my van than I have with my shotgun. It's a good thing they've lengthened bow season. And a better thing that my husband filled the freezer for us this year!

Mrs.C

Nebrcowgirl
02-16-2009, 07:30
My daughter has been hunting small game since age 8. This year, at age 12, she was finally able to hunt big game. She spent several weeks chasing elk and we saw them every day. She had a cow tag and had multiple shots on good 5X and 6X bulls. During her hunt she only had two brief shots on cows - 20 seconds or less and one shot at 385 yds that I wouldn't let her take. Yes she was furious, and could have probably made the shot, but I want her first kill to be very clean and quick. She out hiked all the men at camp, was the first one up at 3:30 or 4:00 am and the last in. Averaging 10+ miles per day with a pack and gun and climbing 5,000+ vertical feet each day. She is hooked on big game hunting. Now that it is winter, all the elk are down by the house in the valley and she sees 100+ right on the side of the road on the way to school every day. She is still stewing over the fact that she didn't get her elk. She did pack out 2 5X5's and help butcher 6 elk this fall. Her friends and teachers are getting sick of the fact that all she talks about anymore is hunting. When asked what she is going to do when Ski Season ends, her reply is "prairie dog season starts the day I finish skiing." She sure is a great hunting companion.

My wife also hunts when she has the time, hopefully her schedule will improve in the next couple of years to get back into it as much as the rest of the family. She wants to try and take a turkey with a bow this spring. I hope she gets the opportunity.

Wow your going to have to beat off the boys when she gets old enough to date,shes going to be popular.What a great way to grow up,a hunting rifle in one hand and the spirit of knowing about life in the other.
Thats how I grew up with a 257 Roberts rifle and a pack pony.
Glad to hear your a great DAD!
I tip my hat to you.

BackCountry
02-16-2009, 19:42
I am lucky to have such a great daughter. I am also lucky that she has no interest in boys currently. She doesn't understand why her friends talk about boys all the time, all she want to talk about is hunting or shooting. All the guys at hunting camp (especially the 20 somethings) said they wished they could meet a girl like her their age.

I just got a .223 barrel for my T/C Encore and a set of shooting sticks for her. She will be joining me in Coyote and Prairie Dog control this spring. While she has been hunting Prairie Dogs for a few years now, the Coyotes will be more challenging. The Coyotes are big and plentiful after last years harsh winter.

Shooting is something that she is naturally very good at. I find that most women are naturally excellent shooters and learn fast. I do enjoy introducing my daughters friends and parents to the shooting and hunting sports. When my daughter first took hunter safety, all the girls gave her some grief about it. Now a large majority in her class have taken the course. Some of their parents do not hunt so they have asked if their kids may join us during hunting season. Most of the guys at hunting camp are more than willing to mentor a young hunter getting into the sport. This also gives them an excuse to get out for an extra season or two. Everyone shares the meat with those who weren't successful and usually there is plenty to go around. This definitely helps with everyone's food budget and gets more young hunters and women into the sport.