preachin' to the choir - jackson roads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : preachin' to the choir - jackson roads

punkture
02-06-2009, 09:03
I grew up in south jackson before it went south, so to speak. Now I dread going on the rare occasion i have to go to the ghetto. I work downtown (which is bad enough), but I had to make a run on lunch yesterday to the hood. I took I20W from State St. to HWY 18, which has always been poorly maintained, but apparently has gotten considerably worse lately.

The ride beat the hell out of my little bimmer and I can't imagine trying to ride my motorcycle on it (and we are talking about the interstate for God's sake!).

On the way back, in the east-bound lane, making the curve right past the Terry Rd exit, i had to swerve to avoid running into a 18" diameter/~8-10" deep crater. Had I been on my bike, I not have made it to complain about it now.

So I ask, what the hell?! Just because I don't drive a busted hyphy donk box caprice with 30" chrome spinners, does that mean I'm destined to have the roads dominate my car on the interstate?

Just needed to complain....

NRA_guy
02-06-2009, 12:24
Just one more reason to avoid Jackson.

nothing
02-07-2009, 21:07
I don't think there is one decent road in the whole city. I have to drive down riverside everyday to get to work. It honestly reminds me of the roads in Iraq after all the ied's. Since jackson can't manage their budget they always run out of money for road repair and maintenance.

A couple of weeks ago some kids from murrah were driving about 70 mph on riverside. The road is so bad the SUV they were driving actually went airborne and rolled into a live oak killing one of the students. Don't get me wrong, they were completely at fault, you can't drive over 20mph on that street. But really, the holes were bad enough to launch an SUV.

NRA_guy
02-08-2009, 05:47
If you are old enough to remember the 1950s and early 1960s, you can recall when downtown Jackson was quite safe and shoppers went downtown to buy things.

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/45/44721/ms7-4951a.jpg

Contrast that with today's high crime, dilapidated buildings, bad infrastructure maintenance, and see if you can figure out the underlying reason for the change.

I might add: the phenomena is not unique to Jackson. Most southern cities (New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta) and even smaller towns are seeing the same evolution. Indeed, most large cities outside the south have seen similar evolutions (Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis).

Obviously the change has been accompanied by a transition from mostly white residential population to mostly black.

I am not aware of any city where the residential population is overwhelmingly black that has a safe, clean, well maintained infrastructure. (Maybe someone can point me to one.)

But does the racial transition cause the decline, or does the decline lead to white flight?

I.e., which is the cause and which is the effect?

There is a pretty good book named "Freakonomics" that explores causes and effects of many things (but not the loss of our cities---that's probably a bit to sensitive and might not lead to the politically correct conclusion.)

lucasbm
02-08-2009, 09:06
I don't believe that white people leaving is the effect. I believe it is the cause. People who live in these areas typically either have no job or make very little income. Lets face it there's no tax income with drug sales. When the whites leave due to crime and poverty knocking on their front door, so does the tax income for the city.

However, the taxes are not a race issue. Look at Pearl. When I grew up there (1982-2000), it was a nice place to live. It was noticeable that the city was going down hill between the years of 1995 - 2000, after that it went to pure poo poo. In 2000, it was still predominantly white, I assume it hasn't changed that much. Soon Pearl will become unbearable for all white people and then the influx of the lower class will take over and it will continue to decay.

Again I believe that it is not a race issue. I believe it has more to do with the class of people that live in that area. However, it seems that the majority of the higher class is largely white, while whites are the minority in the lower class.

I didn't like his method of doing it, but Jackson's mayor was on the right track with knocking down houses. I work for a railroad that runs threw the heart of downtown Jackson and the outer ghetto area of Jackson. It makes me sick to see how these people live. They live in filth and trash inside a house that should be condemned. Do I feel sorry for these people? HELL NO! If they wanted or deserved a different life, then they would MAKE it happen. GET A FREAK'N JOB! They need to realize they will not prosper by Basketball or Rapping and that President Obama IS NOT going to be their financial savior.

Crime, Poverty and decaying of great cities and towns is nothing new. It's been going on in Jackson for decades. Pearl and Clinton are going down next. Then Brandon. Then the reservoir area. etc.

NRA_guy
02-08-2009, 18:13
Yeah, the underlying phenomena (in general) seems to me to be:

"Bad always trumps good and drives it out."

That is an extension of Gresham's law regarding money, which is commonly stated: "Bad money drives out good." LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham%27s_Law)

E.g., establish a mobile home park near expensive housing and the expensive houses go down in value and get sold to less well-to-do occupants.

When they integrated the good white schools in Mississippi with the awful black schools in the 1960s, it did not elevate the black schools. Rather it lowered the white schools to the current awful state.

Even in the plant and animal world, it seems to me that bad most often drives out good. Fire ants drove out our native red ants. Kudzu takes over everything. You hardly ever hear of some new thing driving out it's bad counterpart.