Opening an indoor gun range? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opening an indoor gun range?

Valbrandr
02-07-2009, 09:11
Does anyone have experience opening their own gun range? I've been to a few nicer ranges in the West, and am seriously thinking about opening one in Ohio, but I can't find anything online re: the subject.

EDIT: I just found this: http://www.wbdg.org/design/firing_range.php

Not lots of cash... but there's a lot of "build to suit" available right now everywhere, and the local range in Cincinnati is really slammed literally every day.

pesticidal
02-07-2009, 09:16
I'm with a group that has been planning one for 4 years, will be breaking ground this spring. Do you have lots of cash? You're going to need it.

sigcalcatrant
02-07-2009, 09:34
Don't forget to add-in the cost of insurance. Will it be public or private?

pesticidal
02-07-2009, 09:57
Insurance can be gotten through the NRA program.

Air handling and backstops are really expensive.

Cartouche
02-07-2009, 10:16
I am also considering it as well. I have found a ton of info from the NRA website. I am planing on visiting a few to check out the operations. From what I have found out in the short amount of time I have looked into it are. Insurance of course, ventilation, lead removal, it seems the enviromental aspect is going to be one of the larger hurdles. Your local restrictions. Hell it is easier to open an outdoor facility than an indoor one. Of course the indoor, as why I am considering it. You don't have to drive an hour to the country to shoot. At least in my area. I have a place to shoot outdoors, just takes time to get there. I belive the convience of an in town indoor range will work, at least here anyway. Good luck. Keep us posted on the venture.

Cartouche
02-07-2009, 10:21
I'm with a group that has been planning one for 4 years, will be breaking ground this spring. Do you have lots of cash? You're going to need it.

Canyou give us a readers digest version of your info, and what you went thru. Cost, restrictions, etc. I am not trying to get to personal into your buisness. Say if you had x amount of money, you can do this. I know property values vary from parts of the country, so round numbers would be good. Thanks if you don't mind. Oh, tell us about your facility. # of lanes, etc. Where is it, name. Thanks.

CAcop
02-07-2009, 11:14

+1 to that. Whenever they clean out the lead in our backstop at the PD it costs us the equivalent of a car.

bfg1971
02-07-2009, 11:20
When My Dad and I thought about this we were quoted a cost of 200,000 per lane to duplicate the range we were in. This was for the nicest indoor range I have ever been to which was located in Orlando FL on International Drive unfortunately they didn't make it.

SSN_Doc
02-07-2009, 11:49
Property, zoning, insurance, hazmat fees, backstops, target movement systems, air handling eaquipment/filtration, staffing. Initial stock of ammo, targets, guns for rental, guns for sale, saftey equipment, your FFL, security systems, camera systems. Gun accessories to sell.

I've wanted to open one as well but I'm not floating in a million plus of cash or credit worthiness. I need to find partners. I'm thinking it may be better to buy a large plot of property and open an outdoor range first, then buid the indoor range later, on site. But with an outdoor range you need a large amount of property with a large impact area behind it, and environmental impact studies/statements.

Valbrandr
02-07-2009, 12:31
The issue of lead disposal is definitely a huge one.

Friends in Germany recommended that we only allow lead-free ammo in the range (indoor), but I'm not sure that would work here even if I sold it at cost... not fair to reloaders, or those who want to practice with carry loads.

$200k per lane, wow! Must have been nice... I'm thinking $400k per entire indoor range lol.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp - thanks to the tipster who pointed me here.

pesticidal
02-07-2009, 13:17
Canyou give us a readers digest version of your info, and what you went thru. Cost, restrictions, etc. I am not trying to get to personal into your buisness. Say if you had x amount of money, you can do this. I know property values vary from parts of the country, so round numbers would be good. Thanks if you don't mind. Oh, tell us about your facility. # of lanes, etc. Where is it, name. Thanks.

We have the land paid for, about 3 acres in an industrial park. We're going to build a 15 lane facility with additional class rooms. We formed a non-profit group, and procured some funding form the Pittman-Robertson funds. About the same amount was donated which brought us to about 2/3 of the building cost, which is expected to be about 1.75 million. The rest will be financed. We're heading to the bank this week to see what they think about our business plan, which we feel is pretty solid.

We're working with a metro area of about 200,000 people, and we'll need about 500 members to keep it going. Our plan is to charge the adult shooters $75.00 a year for membership, and $10.00 an outing to use the range. Discounted punch tabs will be available to lower the cost of daily shooting.

We had to go this way due to the restrictions of our non-profit status. There are numerous 501c ways to go. We are not a 501c(3), so we're working through a 3rd party non-profit so donations are deductible.

pesticidal
02-07-2009, 13:21
+1 to that. Whenever they clean out the lead in our backstop at the PD it costs us the equivalent of a car.

Our group to to shoot at the range the police and National Guard shared. IN return, we cleaned out the trap once a year, which promptly went back into new bullets. After we lost the use of the range, they paid over 20k to have the trap cleaned "professionally".

We also maintained the target turners, and replaced the ceiling tiles once a year. The range recently went though a renovation, but just prior to that I heard only 3 of the 10 target turners were operational.

pesticidal
02-07-2009, 13:22
Property, zoning, insurance, hazmat fees, backstops, target movement systems, air handling eaquipment/filtration, staffing. Initial stock of ammo, targets, guns for rental, guns for sale, saftey equipment, your FFL, security systems, camera systems. Gun accessories to sell.

I've wanted to open one as well but I'm not floating in a million plus of cash or credit worthiness. I need to find partners. I'm thinking it may be better to buy a large plot of property and open an outdoor range first, then buid the indoor range later, on site. But with an outdoor range you need a large amount of property with a large impact area behind it, and environmental impact studies/statements.

If you run a business plan, I think you'll find it nearly impossible to open a for-profit range and have it give you a return on investment.

Valbrandr
02-07-2009, 13:38
...About the same amount was donated which brought us to about 2/3 of the building cost, which is expected to be about 1.75 million. The rest will be financed. We're heading to the bank this week to see what they think about our business plan, which we feel is pretty solid.

Ouch... wow.

Thanks for the great information however, extremely invaluable to us!

Andrewsky
02-07-2009, 13:40
Don't make your range one of those that charges ridiculous range fees and has a lot of stupid rules. Business will be better.:wavey:

Valbrandr
02-08-2009, 11:17
Well we did the math, and pesticidal is right... doesn't add up, even with retail, for a long, long time.

My requirement was for this specific Savage "wet" system: http://www.savagerangesystems.com/ranges.php

The range I saw this in was exceptionally clean.

We confirmed that this system installed for 14 lanes is over $1M

pesticidal
02-08-2009, 12:34
We looked at the Savage system. Really nice, but expensive. We're going with shredded rubber for a backstop.

Lotus000
02-08-2009, 15:04
There are a lot of costs that you don't think about initially, like lead removal, hazmat fees, insurance is HUGE, obviously.

I'd also make it an LLC so that, God forbid something awful happened at the range, you as a private entity would still have your own assets separate from the corporation.

gunsgunsgunsgun
02-08-2009, 21:39
Well like it was said earlier, figure out the cost per outing for the customer. That will effect the amount of use your range will recieve. There was a place around here with the savage bullet trap (the water fall to keep dust down). the range itself was awsome and the cleanest range I have been to, but it cost way too much to shoot there, even when ammo was cheap. I just think that if you make it cheap to rent the lanes and sell ammo then you should be fine. The other indoor range is old and dirty but its reasonable to rent lanes. though they charge a premium for there ammo. I shoot mostly at a private club that has a run down indoor range that I can access 24/7 not the best place ever but not the worst I have shot at. I mainly choose my range based on price, especially since the rise in ammo which makes things add up quick. Think of it like mcdonalds sell as much as you can as cheap as you can.

partsman
02-08-2009, 22:25
i dont know why you guys are makeing a big deal out of the led removel, we have 6 lane range and you put on a has mat suit where a resperator and grab some shovels and buckets then you take the led to the scrap yard.
i had my blood checked and my level are in the normal range.

some of you havent a clue on what it really takes to run a range. the backstop is the most expensive part but they can be found used at a big saveing.
the vent system can also be found used if you look.
where i work they had the building they were able to get used backstop and vent system. and i dont think they have more than $135,000 into it.
you can save a huge amount of money if you shop. do what it takes to get open and get cash flow and then once it takes off and you have a clientel.
you can always upgrade later...

the most important thing you need to before a bullet is fired get yourself incorperated....

Valbrandr
02-09-2009, 07:56
You're right brother; in fact that's exactly what the lawyer told us to do (go find another existing business, buy them because they have their permits, etc., and then upgrade).

The problem is that there ain't an indoor range here that we can find... here's the full list that I found online (2)

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 472pt; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="629"><tbody><tr style="height: 12pt;"><td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" u2:str="Cincinnati " nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">Cincinnati <u1:p></u1:p>
</td> <td style="border-style: solid none none; border-color: windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid none none; border-color: windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Cincinnati Revolver Club<u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> 513-681-2829<u1:p> </u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Indoor Pistol (50 ft), Airgun<u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> 4951 Winton Ridge Ln., Cincinnati, OH 45232<u1:p> </u1:p><o:p></o:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" u2:str="Private " nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Private <u1:p></u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> <u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Target World<u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> 513-772-3343<u1:p> </u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (25 yds),<u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> 2300 East Kemper Road, Cincinnati, OH 45241<u1:p> </u1:p>
</td> <td style="padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; background: rgb(204, 255, 204) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Public<u1:p> </u1:p>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0.65pt 0.65pt 0in; height: 12pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"> Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Airgun
</td></tr></tbody></table>
I see all these folks buying ARs and AKs, and I don't know of anywhere one can fire them indoors. So I'd look to build out 50 yds.

I'll keep you all posted, some great ideas in PMs as well, and I appreciate all the help.

partsman
02-09-2009, 08:15
i woulnt worry about the ar an ak a backstop rated for that kinda speed is going to cost you big, our back stop can handle 1850 fps so you shoot .22 threw .44 and that gives them plenty of buisness.
i think the nra helped them find the backstop setup.

bfg1971
02-09-2009, 13:46
The issue of lead disposal is definitely a huge one.

Friends in Germany recommended that we only allow lead-free ammo in the range (indoor), but I'm not sure that would work here even if I sold it at cost... not fair to reloaders, or those who want to practice with carry loads.

$200k per lane, wow! Must have been nice... I'm thinking $400k per entire indoor range lol.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp - thanks to the tipster who pointed me here.

It was real nice electronic target controls just type in the distance on a key pad for whatever distance you wanted. Bulletproof glass between each station. The vent unit keep the range area at a lower pressure than the rest of the store. Too much capital outlay to be profitable I guess or they got offered a bunch of money for the location.

rat5545
02-09-2009, 14:01
$200,000 a lane, that's 15,000 to 20,000 shooters per lane for payback. If your lucky 10 shooters a day as an average per lane. 1,500 to 2,000 days for return on investment. 5 to 7 years plus utilities, payroll, insurance and taxes, someone put a decimal in the wrong place. Last time I inquired I was quoted by a range supplier and builder less then $10,000 per lane.

pesticidal
02-09-2009, 14:23
$200,000 a lane, that's 15,000 to 20,000 shooters per lane for payback. If your lucky 10 shooters a day as an average per lane. 1,500 to 2,000 days for return on investment. 5 to 7 years plus utilities, payroll, insurance and taxes, someone put a decimal in the wrong place. Last time I inquired I was quoted by a range supplier and builder less then $10,000 per lane.

Yes, but the 60's are long gone....

I have a bid for a 60' wide trap from 2005 for $228,000.00 That's about 15k per lane. Just the trap. No building, no HVAC, no target turners.

Buki192327
02-09-2009, 22:34
How do you make a small fortune out of a large fortune. Open and indoor shooting range.

A lot of costs that are not taken into consideration when people first start thnking about opening any type of business. Sad to say, but many new business ventures fail in the first 3 years.

soulless
02-11-2009, 04:03
I wanna buy like 5 acres of land and make me a simple outdoor range one day with stands/tables (no buildings..maybe a few port-a-johns) and have like a few lanes where you can actually use bottles/cans

members= $75/yr and pays $5/all day long to shoot...
non-members = $15/all day long

gun-totin-democrat
03-12-2009, 16:06
ActionTarget quote for 10 lanes @ 25 yards includes:
Basic Stalls
Basic Target retrieval system (out - back)
Total Containment System (TCT) with Screw Drive lead removal
Baffle ceiling
Installed
One year warranty
~$330K
Ball Park quote for HVAC system, additional $400K

My advisors, which include guys helping me find investors / loans and land and development have my head spinning.

I have been considering opening an indoor range and most advise is "buy land and build a building." A piece of C2 property that is graded, sewer, water, storm drain ready, etc. is a minimum of $250K per acre. Which is the most that a 10 lane range will need.

So I am at over half a mil, not using that HVAC system.

SIDE NOTE:
Rubber berm trap is 2/5 the cost of a Total Containment trap. Rubber berms need to be cleaned after 80K rounds; min, once a year. Estimated cost is $30K PLUS your range is down and you are losing revenue for 3 - 4 days. So you have just lost range time and ammo sales and probably gun sales, assuming you are also a firearms dealer. Adding an estimated $5K you are at $35K a year.
Using a cost of the TCT of $200K, your ROI is 3.4 years. (of course, the more you have to replace the sooner you get your money back)
PLUS, with a TCT (using just buckets to catch the lead) you get a monthly return from your lead reclaimation.
HOWEVER, if you cheat and don't clean properly/timely, you get hot spot, high wear areas which will affect your steel plates

Permits, permits, permits and more permits and the architects. For these you're looking at over $150K and you haven't even broken dirt.

I could go on, but as you see, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and the biggest hurdle of all, getting your wife's 'buy in'!!!!

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2009, 16:39
Insurance can be gotten through the NRA program.

+6
Looked into opening a range in middle Georgia.
Air handler and back stop killed it for me.

williamcthomas
03-12-2009, 17:22
The successful indoor ranges I've known all ran 24/7. They had long term contracts with law enforcement/security companies to use the range for training and qualifications- usually from midnight until 6am.

Also, they had managers who were Mr Fix-it type guys. They did all their own maintenance and renovations when needed. Believe me indoor ranges get shot up quickly.

If I was starting from scratch I would try to find wealthy, gun-oriented investors who were not out to make a big return on investment. Rather than have a "hobby farm", they could have a "hobby range".

Good luck.

gun-totin-democrat
03-13-2009, 12:14
If I was starting from scratch I would try to find wealthy, gun-oriented investors who were not out to make a big return on investment. Rather than have a "hobby farm", they could have a "hobby range".

Good luck.

+1. That's exactly what what an advisor said to me yesterday!!

sigpro357
03-15-2009, 11:32
We looked at the Savage system. Really nice, but expensive. We're going with shredded rubber for a backstop.

The Shreded Rubber would be really nice because of the lack of splatter and ability to shoot a wide range of calibers. Be forwarned though. Shooters Paradise near us burned to the ground because someone shot a tracer into the shredded rubber. It burnt to the ground.

CincyBrad
03-15-2009, 11:49
I'm from Cincinnati, Target World is a dump of a range. The best one I have found in this area is Shooters Supply over in Independence Kentucky. Very clean, everything works, plenty of lighting and they do allow AK and AR rifles. The only restriction they have is no .50 or tracer/incendary. Nice people to, you should check it out.

pesticidal
03-15-2009, 11:57
The Shreded Rubber would be really nice because of the lack of splatter and ability to shoot a wide range of calibers. Be forwarned though. Shooters Paradise near us burned to the ground because someone shot a tracer into the shredded rubber. It burnt to the ground.

We're only allowing pistol ammo.

dan8402
03-15-2009, 14:47
I'm from Cincinnati, Target World is a dump of a range. The best one I have found in this area is Shooters Supply over in Independence Kentucky. Very clean, everything works, plenty of lighting and they do allow AK and AR rifles. The only restriction they have is no .50 or tracer/incendary. Nice people to, you should check it out.

I would also like to see a new range in Cincinnati. I haven't gone down to Shooter's in KY, but I may soon. I agree that Target World is terrible.

To the OP, where are you looking at putting a range in the Cincinnati area?

J825
03-15-2009, 16:01

I go to Shooter's Supply all the time. They're always pretty nice guys, and they really do have a nice range downstairs. Best indoor place I've been so far.

Valbrandr
03-16-2009, 16:20
Thanks everyone. The plan has been shelved; although I could get funding from Queen City and a couple of other sources, the math just did not add up compared to other startup opportunities.

Thanks for the heads-up on Shooters Supply in KY, I will definitely make it down there this weekend and check it out.

Miamigunrange
04-03-2010, 19:45
Hey for what it's worth, I just opened a range
in Miami. We did most of the work ourselves
including designing and building the target
retreival systems. We installed a steel bullet trap
that was installed to our specs for about $4k.

Our air handling issues are not as tough as it would
be up north were the temps can really dip low.

If I can be of any help please feel free to pm me.

This had been one of the coolest things I've ever done
as a plus we shot/tested the trap daily.
:)

ronin.45
04-03-2010, 21:44

+1 the range equiptment is just the beginning.

Bruce M
04-04-2010, 08:47
Hey for what it's worth, I just opened a range
in Miami.
:)

Do you mean an-open-to-the-public for profit range? If so can you give us a location? I know of two houses in Dade that have (or had) ranges built into them. That would be a nice touch of country livin' in the city.

HexHead
04-04-2010, 09:09
[QUOTE=Valbrandr;12248335]

/QUOTE]

I think you'll find $100k per lane to be pretty realistic.

ede
04-04-2010, 10:39
there's one in the dayton area, forget the name
lahorners in springfield, if they're still open. last time i was there everything about their operation was a joke.
miamisburg USPSA club has an indoor range
blackwing in deleware
Aim-Hi (new albany shooting range) in new albaney

someone in columbus is wanting to open one in an abandoned Sun Applicance store and getting a lot of resistance from neighbors

oldnoob
04-04-2010, 11:08
Too much great info here. Tag for later read.

WarCry
04-04-2010, 12:28
I wanna buy like 5 acres of land and make me a simple outdoor range one day with stands/tables (no buildings..maybe a few port-a-johns) and have like a few lanes where you can actually use bottles/cans

members= $75/yr and pays $5/all day long to shoot...
non-members = $15/all day long

I've recently just joined PASA Park here in West-Central IL. This is basically what they did: It was a huge piece of family land that some friends started shooting at. Now they have 14 different ranges, everything from a .22lr plinking range to a 600yd rifle range. Masters' Tournament every year (in August, I think).

$25 for one person per year
$50 per family per year (two adults and any children under 18)
$300 lifetime membership (paid over 3 years, $100 installments)
$10 a year for children under 18 (without family membership)
$10 one-day guest membership (must be accompanied by a member)

The only time you pay anything else is entry fees for special events. Otherwise, the way they treat it is like your own back yard. You show up, you shoot, you clean up, you go home. The firing lines are all covered, the pistol range is full-on competition ready including a range control booth. Beautiful big cabin with two separate rental halls (It's called Smith & Wesson Hall...can you guess who put up the money for it?)

The whole thing is a non-profit, just somewhere for folks that want to shoot. The only problem - and I mean, the ONLY problem - is that it's about 40 minutes away. The sad part is, this is where our local PD has to go to shoot, too, so you can guess how much off-time shooting most are interested in...

As for indoor ranges, if I knew anything at all about business or how to find investors, I think it could be huge here. But since I have none of the needed knowledge, that's just a pipe dream for me...

pesticidal
04-04-2010, 20:01
I've not posted here since we've opened. We started shooting in Mid November '09, and currently have about 400 members. Membership is $75.00/year, with a $10.00 shoot fee per time.

We ended up with 13 lanes, each 4' wide, with two additional lanes a bit wider and handicap accessible. Each lane has a 3/16" 4 x 8 sheet steel for protection. We don't have turning targets, but we do have returning target that we designed and made ourselves out of unistrut and reversing motors. very simple, and very effective and cheap to build.

www.rrrmc.com

Blusterystone
03-11-2012, 19:55
Valbrandr, What changed your mind? I agree with all your comments. I am a small business owner in Cincy and have had the very same thoughts. I know this is a bad time to look for investors, but wth the right business plan, you might find someone intrested.

win
03-11-2012, 21:10
tag....

concretefuzzynuts
03-12-2012, 09:28
:2gun:A friend of mine in WA. state put together a private indoor (rains a lot up there) range on his farm by welding two shipping containers together end to end. Backstop of bales of straw. Simple vent system. Recycles the lead at the scrap yard. Again private range.

biscotrip
03-12-2012, 09:32
Here in Richmond, VA they just built one of the largest indoor ranges. Opens this month.

www.colonialshooting.com

Cambo
03-12-2012, 11:19
The range I go to has 15 lanes(10 rifle/pistol/shotgun, 5 pistol) and has been packed opening to closing(M-F 9 am - 9pm, S/S 9:30 am - 6 pm) for the last three months. When you go to a range at 10:30 am on a Monday and you have to wait 30-45 minutes to get on, there is a huge demand for adequate shooting facilities. Weekends have easily 90 min - 2.5 hour wait.

Wash-ar15
03-12-2012, 11:25
We have 7 indoor ranges within a 50 mile drive of Seattle's downtown. some of them are older, but a couple that opened in the last 5 years.this serves a population of 2.5 million people. they seem to be doing just fine. So there's gotta be money to be made or people would not do it.

dosei
03-12-2012, 12:31
We're only allowing pistol ammo.

...but you do realize that tracer ammo is not limited to rifle calibers...right? (Just making sure...)

Adam5
03-12-2012, 14:56

An friend a mine recently remodeled a range. He spent $700k on the HVAC system alone.