GLIPSC 2-5-09 Scores [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GLIPSC 2-5-09 Scores

TreehugginGlock
02-07-2009, 12:11
Guys,

So sorry about the delay in getting the scores posted. I submitted a new thread on Thursday night, but it must have fallen into a black hole. Too bad, it was really witty and fun to read. Since it's so late, now, I'll just post the results.

4.794 Joshua Sims :cheerleader: he was one of our new guys
4.639 Dean Fransisco G35
4.418 Greg Hodges
4.384 Bob Klinglesmith 1911-45
3.885 Jim Geiger
3.684 Jeff Cooke 1911
3.260 Leigh Ann Jeter G17
2.470 Richard Wanke 1911
2.130 Greg Miller
1.814 James Anderson
1.543 Tom Smith

Great to see the new faces. Hope to see you all next Thursday night, too.
Again, sorry for the delay in posting

Berretta9
02-07-2009, 16:19
Wow, I was waiting for the witty version. Oh well next week. Congrats to Leigh Ann. This is her second week ( I think it's the second ) shooting rounds of her own creation. None has blown up her gun. Proud of ya.

TreehugginGlock
02-08-2009, 09:22
Wow, I was waiting for the witty version. Oh well next week. Congrats to Leigh Ann. This is her second week ( I think it's the second ) shooting rounds of her own creation. None has blown up her gun. Proud of ya.I have been shooting reloads the past couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. A lot less recoil and more control. I highly recommend it. Now I just need to work on my technique. Once I get that under control, watch out. I might give you a run for your money.

Rikki
02-09-2009, 05:29
Leigh Ann! You ARE "all that" aren't you!
Loading your own! Girl you need to share that load data with us...

TreehugginGlock
02-09-2009, 19:42
Leigh Ann! You ARE "all that" aren't you!
Loading your own! Girl you need to share that load data with us...
Oh, you flatter me. :embarassed:

Come down to our sandbox again some time when it warms up and I'll share all the details with you. I think things should be starting back up in March (weather and range shape permitting). We'd love to have you and your boys shoot with us any time.

ciwsguy
02-11-2009, 16:48
[QUOTE=TreehugginGlock;12254875]I have been shooting reloads the past couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. A lot less recoil and more control. I highly recommend it. QUOTE]

Treehuggin,
Out of curiosity of shooting handloads, are you using your standard Glock barrel, or have you upgraded to an aftermarket barrel which provides more chamber support? Apparently, accuracy can be improved by process control of handloading, but I was concerned about Kabooms with handloads and recycled brass cases in the factory Glock barrel. I thought about going to handloading a long time ago, but was concerned about blowing myself up either with powder or from an overloaded round, so I gave up on the idea.

I have a G19 with stock Glock factory barrel and experienced a Kaboom (case rupture) a couple of years back with new factory 9mm NATO ammo. I'm not trying to concern you about reloading, just wondering if you upgraded your barrel.

From what reloading you have done so far, does it really save you any $$ or is it the accuracy improvement that you're "shooting" for?

ciwsguy

Rikki
02-12-2009, 06:02
CIWSGUY,
I encourage you to get into reloading BECAUSE of your concerns.
I am more confident with rounds that I have produced than factory loads. Our sharpshooters use 100% handloaded ammo. I use std Glock bbls, no fear of undersupported cases. I *believe* that was an issue in .40.
Go to one of the gunpowder websites and look at their pressure stats on some of their loads. You'll find you can get those pressures way down by handloading.
Also, you'll find the nicest people reload! (Not to mention HOT chicks!)

Berretta9
02-12-2009, 07:50
It's more of an accuracy thing. Less muzzle flip alows faster times. The big problem with relaods was with .40's . They were either over loaded or way under loaded. You would think an under charged round would be less dangerous but according to everything I've read either over or under is bad with .40 . I load both 9mm and .40 and have never had an issue. I shoot them in Glocks as well as an STI. A lot of us have even used poly coated lead in Glock barrells. It is important to use a good press. I know the vast majority of competitive shooters use Dillon. Just pay attention as you go, don't get in a hurry and you"ll keep all your fingers.

ciwsguy
02-12-2009, 21:04
[QUOTE=Rikki;12284890]CIWSGUY,
Our sharpshooters use 100% handloaded ammo.QUOTE]

You military? I presume you're talking about our snipers.

Bryan Federico
02-14-2009, 09:27
I shoot a G21 and was wondering when and where you all hold these matches. What would i need to bring. I would love to join in.

Bryan

TreehugginGlock
02-14-2009, 10:24
In re the reloading/barrell question, no I have not changed out my barrell. Though I am still pretty green with the reloading, I have a ton of shooting buddies that are reloading and I'm relying on their advice and experience to help guide me. Yes, I know there are potential problems that can occur, but I've been assured that if I just take my time and pay very close attention at every stage as I'm reloading, I should be okay. So far, so good.

As for the GLIPSC where and when we meet, we meet every Thursaday at the Bluegrass Indoor Range www.bluegrassrange.com on Kiln Lane in Louisville. We try to start shooting around 6ish but no later than 6:30. Cost is $10. Everyone shoots for score once, then you can reshoot until you exhaust your ammo or the RO's or we begin breakdown around 7:30, whichever comes first. You'll need your gun, eye and ear protection, a holster, 2-3 mags and mag pouches, ammo and a good attitude. Our matches are usually under 30 rounds and generally require multiple manditory mag changes. Generally speaking we shoot 9mm or better, but will make an acception if you would like to bring a youngun. In that case, we will allow them to shoot a 22 but they will need all the rest of the gear and a good understanding of standard safe gun handling practices since safety is always a priority.

Hope that answers everyone's questions.

I encourage exploring the reloading and highly recommend attending the Thursday night GLIPSC matches.

KYgundoc
02-14-2009, 10:26
I shoot a G21 and was wondering when and where you all hold these matches. What would i need to bring. I would love to join in.

Bryan

GLIPSC
Greater Louisville Practical shooting club
Thursday night shooting match

Do you like to shoot handguns? Do you have a gun that you carry and would like to get better with it? You can get better and have fun doing it at our matches. The match that we have every Thursday evening will be geared to practical shooting either fundamental shooting or fun matches with props and Once a month a match that will let 6 shot revolver shooter compete with six shot strings. Most will be 8 shot string matches that will let most autoloaders compete with the high cap guns.
Our matches are conducted by NROI certified Range officers and they will require you to practice safe gun handling. If you are new show up a little early and tell one of the match crew that you are new to this type of shooting and we will help with getting you started.

What you will need to compete, a gun preferably 9mm and up in caliber. No Magnums per the range rules, 3 magazines or speed loaders but 4 would be better a belt holster that fits your gun and you should have a magazine holder or speed loader case. No shoulder holsters at the matches. You will also need ear and eye protection and around 25 rounds of ammo that fits your gun of choice.

Where we shoot? We shoot at Bluegrass Indoor range
4402 Kiln Court Louisville, KY 40218, Phone number 502-451-9088 Thursday evenings at 6:00 pm, call ahead if the weather is bad to see if the match will be canceled or the range is closed.

Other info, you should be familiar with the gun you are going to shoot in the match to keep things moving but if you need help with that the staff at the range can help you to get up to speed just call the number above for that but I will promise that if you shoot with use for a few matches you will learn to draw from a holster, Reload the gun under time, Learn to engage multiple targets. Match fee is $10.00 and that covers targets, pasters, and other props and expendables and the fee the range charges us to shoot.

Scores will be posted at Glocktalk.com in the Bluegrass glockers section of the clubhouse. All our matches are geared to beginners but even old hands will be challenged with our draw and fire matches that will require reloads and engaging multiple targets.

If you have any questions e-mail me gundoc@insightbb.com

Bryan Federico
02-14-2009, 14:36
Thanks everyone for the info. I will definately try to make it there this Thursday.

Rikki
02-15-2009, 05:39
ciwsguy- sorry, I didn't explain that remark better...I guess they call them snipers now.
No, I'm not military or ex military, I'm a farmer. (but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last nite!)