I got a fly rod "need help" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I got a fly rod "need help"

carlcathey
09-01-2002, 21:22
Today I got a fly rod for my b-day.

Now I need to learn how to use it.

Growing up in Texas, fly fishing is not one of the things we learn. As kids we are given a Zebco 202 and told got get'em.

Today my kids got me a fly rod starter kit, for my b-day. If some one could give me a web site or two to get info, and what have ya. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Carl :)

mpol777
09-01-2002, 22:38
the main thing you have to overcome is your background in all fishing. fly fishing is different. the difference is you are not casting the lure but you are casting the line. the fly just happens to be at the end of the line.

i don't want to sound mean, but i don't think a website will teach you as well as a class. i had my dad to coach me and since it's such a vision/sense thing i don't know how it could translate to words.

my suggestion would be to find a class and take your boys. you will all have fun.

Arbee
09-01-2002, 22:41
Carl,

The book that I always suggest people get at the beginning is the Orvis Introduction To Fly Fishing by Tom Rosenbauer (sp?). It covers everything important in sufficent detail to get started. There is also a great video tape Introduction to Fly Casting by Mel Kreiger that is very well done and very helpful in learning the first skill of fly fishing.I would also suggest you join a local fly fishing club. There are a number in Texas, and they are full of people with lots of good information on fishing for trout, striper, bass, panfish, catfish, and saltwater species in Texas. They often have monthly meetings with guest speakers, fishing outings, and offer flycasting and flytying lessons. If you tell us what part of the state you're in I may be able to point you in a direction. Also check out the flyfishing shops in your area for fly casting lessons. Most people find it easy to learn to cast with lessons, but find it very difficult or impossible to figure out on their own.

method
09-02-2002, 00:48
I did well figuring fly casting with the help of a basic instruction manual. It just takes some practice, which you can do in your yard or any open area. Try to find a book or magazine with some instructions. Keep your wrist straight, the rod angled a bit away from vertical, and watch your loop until you get the hang of it. Move the rod tip between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Don't whip the line, smoothly accelerate the rod. Start with 15 or 20 feet of line until you can cast well, then learn out to shoot line to cast out further. How and where you stop the rod tip on your forward cast dictates how the fly lands on the water. It's an art to cast a fly line, but it's not impossible for anyone to learn.

09-02-2002, 08:03
Check your local library for videos/books.

Sllloooowwwww is the key to casting, I've found. Nice, even casting stroke. 10:00 o'clock stop on the back cast, 2:00 o'clock on the front. Wait for the line to straighten out on the back cast, else you now have a buggy whip in your hand!

Cut the bend off the hook on a fly and use that to practice with for a while.

What kind of kit did you get, BTW??

Above all, flyfishing isn't just for trout! I've caught bass, bluegill and even carp (on purpose, too) on a fly rod. Granted there are "better" ways, but none near as pretty....

Steve

Arbee
09-02-2002, 12:12
Here's a link to the Federation of Flyfishers

http://www.fedflyfishers.org

and here's one to their list of Texas Clubs

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/club_list.shtml#tx

Some of the clubs have their own book & video lending libraries.

You can order the Orvis book I mentioned through Amazon or through Orvis, if it's not at your local bookstore or library.

It would help us to point you in other directions if you will let us know where you are, where you want to fish, and for what species.

Have fun!

carlcathey
09-02-2002, 13:37
I thank Ya'll for the posts. I think I'm going to have fun with this new toy. What got me wanting one was watching a guy catch sandy's with one. He was having way to much fun.

I told my son one day, one of those would be fun. He and my wife were at Academy, and they got me a starter set by Crystal River.

I wish I had taken it with me today. One of my feed store customers let us come out and fish. The perch were hitting every thing. I love stock tank fishing.

Once again thanks. I will master this at some point. After all the spring sandy run will be here before long.

J.P.
10-02-2002, 19:34
Here ya' go. www.flyanglersonline.com

lethal tupperwa
10-17-2002, 12:24
10 and 2 is hard, think about standing in the doorway and with a hammer and hit the door frame in front of and in back of you.

Do not tie a fly on at first two things could happen you snap it off or you suddenly have a hook in your face.

If you hear a whip crack you are going too fast.

Go out in the grass and lay 20-25 feet of line out in front of you.
Grasp the rod with your fingers around the rod holding the line, your thumb up on the rod.

Lift the rod "to the door frame behind you turn your head and look at the line untill it straightens out behind you then drive your rod forward with out breaking your wrist to the "door frame in front of you. As the line straightens out you can lower the rod more.

You need to learn what it feels like to load the rod---feel the weight of the line on the rod when you do you will not have to look behind yourself to see the line straighten.

One way to learn the feel is to hold the rod higher up - with the end of it down to your elbow. This keeps your wrist straight and allows the rod to load.

When this feels right use a tapered leader- Walmart-and tye something that floats-like a muddler on the end of it then use 2 or4lb test fishing line and tye a nymph to the eye of the muddlers hook. I like some kind of bead head.

You only have to get it wet you don't have to throw it out of sight.
watch the floater and if it moves hold the line tight with your fingers and lift the whole rod.

You can get as complex as you want to later now take it easy and have fun.

I like to wear a brimmed hat- avoiding the brim with the rod keeps ypu out of trouble.

Explosive
10-25-2002, 20:52
Dont even worry about learning to dry fly cast until you learn to roll cast you will use it 80% of the time anyhow
If you have any questions when it comes to tying flys let me know
dont buy them cost way to much that way

Ex