Microsoft Tag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Tag

Fixxer
02-08-2009, 12:19
Stumbled across this, and I thought there might be someone here who is interested. The tags can be used on a web page, or printed onto business cards, or just about anywhere you can think of. Maybe print them onto sticky-back paper and put them on your valuables.

http://www.microsoft.com/tag/

arodgers
02-09-2009, 16:24
That is kind of cool. All sorts of uses for this. Could put the combo to my safe right on the front of it and no one would know what it was.

Fixxer
02-09-2009, 17:46
Even if you don't make your own tags, I think that maybe these things might start popping up every once in awhile, and it would be nice to at least have the software installed on your phone, so you can scan them when you see them.

There are a few different predefined purposes for the tags- Pointing to a specific web page (owner's manual for a product you made, maybe), a dialer (located on a piece of machinery you service, perhaps), a vCard which stores your information in the phone's Contact database (without typing), or just some free text which can describe anything you want others to know.

I can envision a lot of uses for these, and I suspect that if word catches on, people won't be able to resist scanning them.

Fixxer
02-09-2009, 17:47
That is kind of cool. All sorts of uses for this. Could put the combo to my safe right on the front of it and no one would know what it was.

You can password-protect them, so even if they did know what they were, they wouldn't be able to read them.

arodgers
02-09-2009, 23:22
It's almost worth buying a printer just to play with these. My wife's going to come home from work and find these all over.