Riley or Drum? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Riley or Drum?

60Pilot
02-11-2009, 18:02
Well it looks likes its down to Riley or Drum for my next assignment. I want you guys to try and sell me on one or the other. I think I'm leaning towards Drum......

battlin bulldog
02-11-2009, 18:47
well i went from germany to Ft. Irwin so any place is better than here. nearest town is 40 miles away and its a dump. i would prefer riley cause kansas generaly seems more pro second amendment. however if you want more things around to do(civilization), then i would lead towards drum. also if your not already, you probably have a better chance of getting air assault at drum. good luck with your decision and i hope you get it.

CPT_CRUNCH
02-11-2009, 21:58
havent been to either, but i'd pick riley. depends on what you want. i say riley cause my wife hates cold weather. and since i'd be deployed for a considerable amount of time at both then my thoughts are the family should be happy. and since i've had to scrape my car off the last three morning before PT... i think riley'd have my vote too, i think i might get a lot colder in upstate NY.

i had the same type of choice a 2 weeks ago... schofield barracks or lewis... i picked schofield (of course)... they gave me lewis. you know how that works!
:supergrin:

The Maggy
02-11-2009, 22:10
I have never heard much good about drum and the unit we relieved in Iraq (14th inf i think) was kind of a joke imo. Never worked with guys from riley and I dont think we ever had any guys come to us from riley either.

I know Kansas can get cold in the winters but they dont get the 10ft snow drifts like New York can.

FDC
02-14-2009, 02:38
Go to Drum. Light>Mech.

slyjackalope
02-14-2009, 22:44
Fort Riley is very good. It is expanding every day with new construction all over post. The weather is decent and the local community is very supportive. Manhattan was even rated one of the top ten places to retire to in Money magazine a few years ago.

4095fanatic
02-20-2009, 07:10
My bro's out of drum with the 10th Mountain and housing costs in the outlying areas aren't too bad. He and some buddies were able to get their own house fairly cheap. Needed a little fixing up, but especially with the "housing crisis" it should be cheaper than ever to get a place to live if you weren't going to stay on base. Can't say anything about Riley, never been there...

MURRAY
03-01-2009, 13:50
Drum is great area if your an outdoors type the St Lawrence River and ADK are very close. But the winter on the Tug Hill are rough stuff

vart
03-02-2009, 18:27
If you go to Riley; lower the comprehensive deductibles on your auto insurance in the Spring before the massive hail storms hit...

eisman
03-04-2009, 20:31
Both suck in the winter. But Drum has skiing nearby, and doesn't suck like the mid-west.

eisman
03-04-2009, 20:35
they gave me lewis.
That's not so bad. Go over to Tides in Gig Harbor, or Katie Downs in Ruston on a nice warm Sunday. Kesselrings up north is a great gunshop.

Sgt_Gold
03-16-2009, 19:20
I've been to both places. Riley in 1983 and Drum for AT with the NG. Drum is better if for some reason you really like Montreal. Other than that the winters are frigid, the gun laws in NY suck more then just about anywhere else, and the post has gotten so crowded that they are housing troops as far away as Syracuse. I'm a NY native and the only reason I'd choose Drum is because of friends and family. Other than that I'd go Riley.

Bren
03-28-2009, 21:22
Well it looks likes its down to Riley or Drum for my next assignment. I want you guys to try and sell me on one or the other. I think I'm leaning towards Drum......

Well, I've been a Ft. Riley for a week now and since I've never been to Ft. Drum...I'd choose Ft. Drum. I haven't been here long, but I am VERY unimpressed with the post/facilities/surrounding community, etc. Maybe it will be better when the snow melts off, but I'd sure not like to come here again. I assume they send us here so Afghanistan will seem nicer by comparison - it won't be as much of a shock as if you went there from a nice post.

Does anybody know if there is ever a day when the wind isn't constantly blowing at 20+ mph?

Bren
03-28-2009, 21:25
Fort Riley is very good. It is expanding every day with new construction all over post. The weather is decent and the local community is very supportive. Manhattan was even rated one of the top ten places to retire to in Money magazine a few years ago.

I must be on a different Ft. Riley. I'm at the one in Kansas and I don't any new construction, beyond barracks and training sites for deploying troops. So far the weather sucks.

DustyJacket
03-28-2009, 22:42
Never been to Drum.

Only been to the field in Riley. So darned humid after dressing you are just as wet as when you step out of the shower. (When I got a shower)

cmaylo
03-29-2009, 00:10
While I haven't been stationed at Drum, I am from central NY and went to college up in Potsdam, which is about an hour north of Drum. I can tell you a few things:

-It gets COLD. We're talking too cold to snow, weeks where the high is below zero.
-It's in the middle of nowhere. Syracuse isn't that great of a city, and is a little over an hour away. Montreal is great, but is 3 hours away.
-Going camping in the Adirondacks is awesome in the summer.
-Gun laws suck, but there are many good places to go deer/turkey hunting.

Swattie
03-29-2009, 08:45
I am KS National guard, before that I was reserves. I live by Ft Leavenworth but have been to Ft. Riley quite a bit. It ain't bad. I was just over that way a week ago as a matter of fact.

The biggest problem is that it is located at the Kansas Plains and the wind can be 50 MPH sustained at times. Other than that I can't argue too much.

slyjackalope
03-31-2009, 20:14
I must be on a different Ft. Riley. I'm at the one in Kansas and I don't any new construction, beyond barracks and training sites for deploying troops. So far the weather sucks.

Maybe you should explore Fort Riley a little beyond Funston. It's hard to see how anyone could miss all of the new construction, such as:

The new PX
The new housing across from the commissary
All of the new buildings being constructed up on Custer Hill

NDC187
04-19-2009, 15:32
Hrmm, I'll speak on behalf of Drum. If you want a high-speed unit with some hardcore training and you like sucking go to Drum and you won't regret it. Be prepared. Running in 15 degree weather becomes the norm.

As far as kicking back and having fun..forget it. There are a few crap bars in Watertown. The women are ugly and all have about 15 kids and the cops and mp's love to give you hell. Always use a taxi no matter what going out. You can always score one no matter what time or where.

Some of the cities further out are ok. Syracuse is great if you get a 4 day or something. Check out armory square cause thats where all the good bars and fine chics are. Thats about the only place i recommend. If you got the time you could party in philly. Chics there are pretty cool. But for the most part I staid at the gym or in doors.

Housing sucks off base. It's always full and prepare yourself with a HUGE heating bill (non-mil housing). It has actually bankrupted people. Most the houses are not very well built or maintained. Hope you like snow and blizzards :) and yes you will train in it. You will have plenty of career and school opportunities if you go to drum. Air Assault is conducted there and ranger school opportunities come up often.

You can also go to canada aswell if you get bored.

trdvet
04-19-2009, 18:50
I've been to drum. Never in my life have I hated a place so much as Drum and Watertown. The winters are long and depressing which in turns depresses everyone else. I never knew that morale could go so low in a division. IIRC 10th Mountain is or was the most deployed Army unit.

NDC187
04-19-2009, 23:29
I've been to drum. Never in my life have I hated a place so much as Drum and Watertown. The winters are long and depressing which in turns depresses everyone else. I never knew that morale could go so low in a division. IIRC 10th Mountain is or was the most deployed Army unit.

They still pretty much are. we got one year off and one year deployed with a couple months so far. Pretty much what he said is spot on. Every one is depressed and miserable and usually no one is in a good mood.

Drinking is a problem there, probably more so than other units. But man, I'm telling you if you don't mind sucking you will definitely be apart of a good unit that does allot of training. Just can't let it get to your head.