Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

Why am I here? continued

Posted 12-18-2010 at 05:40 by Skykevver

In the early summer I met a guy at church who had just returned from two years of missionary service in France. He was 21 or 22. The bishop asked him to work with the young men in our ward in the lay priesthood organization. For some reason he took an interest in me, taking me on a couple of outings, just the two of us. I guess he could tell I was struggling with trying to figure out who I was or wanted to be. One trip we drove in his Corvaire to Sausolito on the other side of the bay. We spent the day walking through all the artsy shops and talking about life. He was a great listener. When he talked, I listened to him with great interest. Some of his stories were about his mission experiences, some were about the remarkable change in his life prior to his mission. Let's just say he was well on the road to destruction when someone took an interest in him and invited him to church. There he found the strength and resolve to overcome his destructive behaviors, eventually becoming worthy and able to serve a mission. Sometime I will say more about the profound effect dedicating two years at my own expense to doing nothing but serve God had on my life. Walking through Sausalito he made sure I knew he had a firm testimony of Christ, and that his mission was one of the greatest experiences of his life. He asked me if I liked classical music. My reply, "I dunno, I guess...", was one of those profound utterances frequently escaping my lips. "Have you ever really listened to it, I mean really listened to any of it?" My response "yeah, well I s'pose it's just not my thing." Then he challenged me. "Have you ever listened to Debussy?" My reply was probably something like "De-who?" I liked John, and so when he offered to loan me his Debussy album and made me promise to listen to it when I could sit or lay down and just listen by myself without any distractions, I just had to say yes. So that night, after all my siblings had gone to bed I turned the lights down in the living room, lifted to heavy lid to the record player compartment of our stereo-a five foot long cabinet that was as much furniture as music system-and lay down on the shag carpet to listen to Clair de Lune for the first time. I have to say, from that point on, music was never the same for me. I was lifted up, swept away by emotion and wonder, the beauty of the chords and moving melody captivating my senses in a way that music had never done before. I couldn't wait to tell John! The next afternoon as soon as I thought he might be home from work I called to share my experience with him Two weeks later when I told him my dad had received a promotion and we would be moving to Oklahoma he groaned, then said "You can't, you've just begun to discover culture and what it has to offer, and now you're moving to the cultural equivalent of the dark side of the moon!"

(still to be continued)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1694 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Debussy is on my "Top 5 Favorite Classical Composers" list. Wonderful music there.

~Spero