Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Rate this Entry

New shooters first handgun

Posted 02-27-2011 at 15:23 by fredj338

New Shooters First Handgun

As an experienced shooter, instructor, hunter & reloader, I often get asked by new shooters; “what should I get for my first or only handgun”? In our world of high tech & semiautos, it might surprise many that I am not a fan of the semiautomatic, even a GLock, as a new or only gun for first time shooters.
The Glock platform is great, simple for a semiautomatic, but still more complicated than a revolver. Add to that the ammo limitations to semis & the limited grip options, it makes it more diff for a new shooter to learn to shoot well quickly. Any revolver can digest a wide range of ammunition & perk along quite nicely. Not true for all semis. Any revolver can be custom fit to the smallest or largest of hands w/ a simple grip change, again, not so for all semis.
So my recommendation for any newb shooter, get a 4” medium frame 357mag of reputable manuf as your first handgun. Then get a grip that fits your hand if the factory grip is too large or too small. Then practice w/ low recoil 38sp until proficiency is reached. Load it w/ a good 38sp+P JHP or LSWCHP or a 357magJHP, if you can handle the recoil, & you are well armed for 99% of any home defense scenarios. Back that up w/ a flashlight, speed loader or strip & some good training & you are as well armed as the guy w/ his G19 or 1911.
Shoot straight, stay safe.
fredj
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3402 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments